I Need Advice on Pregnant stray

catperson3333333333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. There is a heavily pregnant cat that for a full year now comes to my apartment and I feed her. She spends a large part of her day either sleeping on my carpet or sunbathing in my balcony, only leaving at sundown. Everytime she sees me she meows and rubs against me legs, she is loves pets and is OK if not enthusiastic with being picked up. One night during a heavy storm some time ago, she spent the night and I provided her with a litterbox, which she knew how to use. So I concluded she was a stray.

When I saw how pregnant she was (she is due any day now) I decided to finally transition her from an Indoor/outdoor cat to a full time inside cat, so the kittens have a warm, safe from outside dangers, place to be born.

One time I watched in my balcony as she was running away from a male cat. He caught up with her, being heavier and slow, and attacked her. She was very scared, hissing and crying. I opened the door and she immediately ran inside under my couch. This was the event that gave me the idea she and her kittens would perhaps be safer inside.

It goes without saying after that she and the kittens would go to the vet, and would be given once old enough to people I trust to take care of them.

Her first day an an indoor went well, but during the night she started crying and scratching the balcony door, wanting to go out. This went on for two more days. Last night I decided it was for the best to let her have the way, as I was afraid the confinement stress would affect her ability to deliver the kittens (and of course I hate seeing her distressed).

This morning she came around again, I opened the door and she came in, let me pet her, gave her food, etc. Should I trap her inside again? I don't want the pregnancy to be a disaster if she is stressed or to harm herself and the kittens attempting to break out. But i also don't like the idea of her giving birth out in the cold.

The dilemma as I understand it is "the stress confinement gives her" vs "the safety of the apartment".

(Eventually catching her and taking her to the vet is still in the plans, this question is specifically about her pregnancy)

I appreciate any help immensely.

Here are some photos

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep her inside no matter how much she scratches. She will adjust eventually. She needs to have her babies inside. Even when they are born, she should not be allowed out until after she is spayed when the kittens are about 8 weeks old and weaning. Inside is always safest!

The kittens will not need to see the vet until they are about 8 weeks old. I recommend they be spayed before being adopted out. Kittens do best when re-homed in pairs if possible.

She’s a very pretty kitty and looks content. I’m guessing she was left behind when someone moved.

Have you named her? Thanks for giving her a home.

Keep us posted! :catlove:

catperson3333333333 catperson3333333333

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have dealt with feral mothers only, all of whom were too wild to be brought inside. While they all chose a place that they believed was safe to have their kittens, it created immense complications with monitoring, care, and trapping individually later. In some cases, at least one kitten died or was killed by a predator. You are doing both yourself and the cat a huge favor by keeping her inside as was described above.

Some male cats will kill kittens and you have seen an aggressive one go after her already.

She is way too relaxed looking in your house to be a feral, so I am guessing an abandoned pet as well.

Thank you for helping her and her little family.

SweetieKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in similiar situation. Feral Mom cat that I feed and take care of, breaks my heart when she went into heat all those tom's chasing her around, literally jumping on her while she was on my deck eating! Neighbor cares for a feral colony and one of the females in that colony got killed as she was running away from the Tom's chasing her.

My little Feral, I named Sweetie, she was about 9 months old when I moved into this rental and was so skinny as tiniest cat out of the group and they all ate the food. I started to feed her on the side. She had a litter last year, and wondered if she even produced milk, she never got the huge nipples, and even the day she dropped with the kittens she was acting like life was normal, three days later she shows up and is dropping kittens on my deck... and then rehiding 2 but left me 2 of them... she sat on my deck for hours at a time and I was like where are your babies? why arent you with them... she just sat there.

Like you, she had another heat, and even after it was long passed this huge black Tom was following her and chasing her... she kept getting larger so last week, I trapped her in a cage and brought her into my storage to ensure she wouldn't spray and also allowing time to figure it all out. Got another cage and we brought her into my room, and ziptied both the crates together. Got a birthing box in it, heating pad, ordered bottles, formula etc... and now just waiting for her to have the dang things. Which I could of sworn should be this week, but apparently, my memory of when she was being chased down was incorrect. I cannot pick her up, I can pet her head, ears, face, and do the butt scratch, but if I do that to long she turns around and swats me several times pretty good.

Good luck, in my opinion your doing the right thing, helping her, and the kittens, and then getting her fixed and kittens safe place. and good homes. Keep updates!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am in similiar situation. Feral Mom cat that I feed and take care of, breaks my heart when she went into heat all those tom's chasing her around, literally jumping on her while she was on my deck eating! Neighbor cares for a feral colony and one of the females in that colony got killed as she was running away from the Tom's chasing her.

My little Feral, I named Sweetie, she was about 9 months old when I moved into this rental and was so skinny as tiniest cat out of the group and they all ate the food. I started to feed her on the side. She had a litter last year, and wondered if she even produced milk, she never got the huge nipples, and even the day she dropped with the kittens she was acting like life was normal, three days later she shows up and is dropping kittens on my deck... and then rehiding 2 but left me 2 of them... she sat on my deck for hours at a time and I was like where are your babies? why arent you with them... she just sat there.

Like you, she had another heat, and even after it was long passed this huge black Tom was following her and chasing her... she kept getting larger so last week, I trapped her in a cage and brought her into my storage to ensure she wouldn't spray and also allowing time to figure it all out. Got another cage and we brought her into my room, and ziptied both the crates together. Got a birthing box in it, heating pad, ordered bottles, formula etc... and now just waiting for her to have the dang things. Which I could of sworn should be this week, but apparently, my memory of when she was being chased down was incorrect. I cannot pick her up, I can pet her head, ears, face, and do the butt scratch, but if I do that to long she turns around and swats me several times pretty good.

Good luck, in my opinion your doing the right thing, helping her, and the kittens, and then getting her fixed and kittens safe place. and good homes. Keep updates!!
Tx for your input! Its valueable in this thread.

But to avoid mixing up, and misunderstandings, if you wish to make any questions or ask for your cat, please start your own thread.

Because its very bewildering for helpers if there is several different cats and owners in the same thread... We want to see with a glance, we cant read through a long thread to see whom is whom.... Im writing this based on experience...

Elliecat606

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to provide her with a “nest”. A cardboard box with high sides will do. If you can pop her in a large crate even better. I foster pregnant cats and kittens for local rescues and also used to Bree Norwegian Forest Cats. I have a room set aside for them and a large crate for birthing time. if you can borrow one from a shelter or buy on Amazon. It helps them feel secure. Fit a litter tray and bowls for food and water and a soft blanket. if you’re around during the day you may only need to shut it at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catperson3333333333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems more well adjusted since she came in last night. She occasionally meows and looks longingly at the window, but not too often, and she hasn't made any practical attempts like scratching or climbing (climbing the window was my biggest fear, should she fall and harm herself).
I got her a collar and she was very gentle while i put it on her. She made no attempt to flee or take it off afterwards. Perhaps she was used to wearing one in the past?
I'll got get her a cardboard box later, and will post again when she has her kittens.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do remove the collar once her kittens arrive. When tiny they crawl all over mom and can get their limbs caught in it. You can put it back on her once the kittens are bigger.

Good news that she is back for good!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She does not seem to be that upset to be inside. Believe me, you have done yourself a favor, if nothing else. I have had to get kittens out from crawl spaces under houses and from on top of patio structures, not to mention knock on doors and ask people for access to their back yard or their garage.

catperson3333333333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still feel like a monster every time she starts crying and scratching the windows...

She is relaxed inside indeed and loves being petted. It's just the idea that she can't leave, even if she likes it, that panic her I believe.

I really hope it's for the best.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats react this way if they are used to going out. It is not at all uncommon and may take a few days to settle down. Be careful about her running out the door as it may be harder to get her back inside.

Given that the kittens are expected any day now, it is imperative that you keep her inside. Once she has the kittens she will be preoccupied with their care.

You are not being inhumane; you have rescued a very pregnant, abandoned cat from the streets in order to help her. A lot of people would have looked the other way.

Small children cannot necessarily do what they want, so think of it in terms of something like that. Don't give into her crying. Keep being friendly to her and she will more than likely calm down in a few days.

All of my cats are street cat rescues; if one comes into my house to live or be fostered, the door closes behind them forever.

catperson3333333333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has limited her eating and has doubled her bowel movement.

She spent more or less 24 hours straight crying and only stopped now.

She still plays with me and my girlfriend, purring and being very affectionate, and doesn't hide form us. She has been coming to my apartment for more than a year now, and I think she feels comfortable with the space itself, just not the idea that she is confined in it.

She curled in a box I made her for a while and later tried getting into a drawer.

I hope the reduced appetite is due to the kittens arriving soon and not stress.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted. The crying and lack of appetite both might have had to do with the kittens.