I need advice on making emergency arrangements for my cat's care should something happen to me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that's part of the answer, right there. Talk to your vet.

Vets are people who care about animals. They are also people who have contacts.
They might know somebody at an animal rescue and adoption group. They might have friends or colleagues who can help. Who knows? Maybe one of the vet techs who works there might want to adopt? I don't know. This is the kind of thing that you would have to ask about.

Call your vet and tell them that you don't have anybody in your family who will care for your cat. Tell them that you don't want to put your cat in a shelter where "just anybody" could take him, assuming that he gets adopted, at all.

Ask the vet if they know of any good rescue or adoption groups that will make sure your cat will go to a good home. Or, maybe if you luck out, somebody who works there might adopt him.

The vet where we take Casper has two cats that live in the clinic and act as greeters. I don't know... that's a long shot but who knows? It might be cool if your cat could be the "Ambassador in Chief" at vet clinic! ;)

I don't know if any of these ideas are doable but you'll never know if you don't ask.

Once you have a plan, put it in your will or, at least, write it down and get it notarized then put it with your important papers.

Remember: Agreements are only as good as the paper they are written on. ;)
That's a good idea. I was able to work out a solution after my op but it would be nice if Pumpkin's vet offered such an arrangement. I don't think they do because when I took Pumpkin to his checkup yesterday, I gave them a copy of a notarized letter that authorizes a well-known animal rescue group in this area to take Pumpkin should my now-former care manager be unable to do so. The vet didn't say anything about what they do for others like me in the same bind.

I posted that document in a prominent place in my home should something happen to me.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad Pumpkin made it to his check up with his Vets.

If Dad is on Medicare, he too should have the availability for an Annual Wellness Exam. If he is on a Medicare Advantage Plan they likely are following up, since many seniors skipped it last year to stay out of Dr. offices. I would hope you can remind/encourage him to make that exam for his health. You don't need to mention the Vax's, that is extremely likely to come up with the Dr. They will likely talk with him about concerns and rule out stupid ones and schedule him. If he has a family history of clotting disease/difficulties, they will help guide him.

Many Medicare Advantage plans include a Medical Case Worker option. This might be a good option for your Dad. It could offer a different voice from those trying to influence his health decisions with misinformation.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. I was able to work out a solution after my op but it would be nice if Pumpkin's vet offered such an arrangement. I don't think they do because when I took Pumpkin to his checkup yesterday, I gave them a copy of a notarized letter that authorizes a well-known animal rescue group in this area to take Pumpkin should my now-former care manager be unable to do so. The vet didn't say anything about what they do for others like me in the same bind.

I posted that document in a prominent place in my home should something happen to me.
This whole COVID thing has laid bare so many wounds in people, some rational, others...not so much. IMHO it is a personal decision whether or not to get vaxed. Others need to respect that. Of course, so many don't. It's a subject I cringe at whenever it's brought up, because it's my decision and I really don't wish to engage in polemic about it. But it's not a reason to sever a personal relationship with relatives! Hopefully things will calm down in time and maybe more rational heads will prevail. If not, though, good on you for taking those steps you've mentioned to ensure that Pumpkin has the very best chance of ongoing care and safety. None of us ever knows what the future will bring, no matter age, health, etc. All we can do is our best, and that gets very complicated as life gets more complex.
Yeah, if you ever get the chance to visit Best Friends, I encourage you to do so -- it is a unique and very magical place, and I don't use that word lightly. You can "tour" it on the website and see for yourself how beautiful it is. People have moved near there from all over the world, so that they can work or visit there. And it has inspired others to emulate them, all over the world.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do share bear bear 's hope that your dad will get to a doctor who might be able to calm him down. Even if your dad does not want the vaccine, at least the dr can assure him that blood clots are not contagious.

You have taken a lot of very proactive steps for yourself and Pumpkin. Your vet may not have reacted to your paperwork, but I would guess that should anything happen that he would honor your request if he became involved. He probably does not have a real plan in place for animals such as Pumpkin as it may not come up very often, but that does not mean he would not follow your instructions.

My husband and I have a paper posted in the house about emergency contacts and the location of paperwork that someone might need if they had to help us. That is not a bad idea in any case.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a window cling in my dining room window facing the street that tells first responders there are (number of) cats indoors and to please rescue them. These are available through just about any place that sells cat supplies and on many cat advocacy websites. Everyone should have one.