I need advice on making emergency arrangements for my cat's care should something happen to me

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can totally sympathize with you because from the time I had my first cat (over 40 years ago), I always worried they they might outlive me and be abandoned [I am single and live alone]. So I've always had 'arrangements' in place for that possibility.

Now that I'm 80, and my current cat is only 7, that's becoming more of a reality. Fortunately, I have family who would not abandon her, but they are not 'cat people,' so I have an understanding with my cat sitter (who is also a neighbor) to take her if anything happens to me.
I even have a note in my wallet next to my driver's license in case I have an accident and am unresponsive. The note explains that I have a cat at home and gives the name and phone number of my neighbor who will care for her.

I know all this doesn't help you because you've explained your situation very well, but as much as I hate euthanizing a cat, if I were in your situation, I'd make that arrangement with my vet should the cat outlive me.

Here's why. The third cat I adopted [Sunny] had been 'dumped' in a shelter when he was 7 years old after his owner died and all relatives claimed they were 'allergic.' Sunny hated other cats, and this was an 'open plan' shelter where the cats roamed freely, so he was constantly in fights and under stress. After I brought him home, he had several stress-related issues (vet diagnosis), and was soon diagnosed in renal failure--which I attribute the the extreme stress he experience for 8 months in that shelter. He lived for only another 2 years, never really well but not suffering until the end.

I would never want my cat to go through such stress, and I think in Sunny's case, euthanasia would have been better for him.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I'd make that arrangement with my vet should the cat outlive me.
I think that's part of the answer, right there. Talk to your vet.

Vets are people who care about animals. They are also people who have contacts.
They might know somebody at an animal rescue and adoption group. They might have friends or colleagues who can help. Who knows? Maybe one of the vet techs who works there might want to adopt? I don't know. This is the kind of thing that you would have to ask about.

Call your vet and tell them that you don't have anybody in your family who will care for your cat. Tell them that you don't want to put your cat in a shelter where "just anybody" could take him, assuming that he gets adopted, at all.

Ask the vet if they know of any good rescue or adoption groups that will make sure your cat will go to a good home. Or, maybe if you luck out, somebody who works there might adopt him.

The vet where we take Casper has two cats that live in the clinic and act as greeters. I don't know... that's a long shot but who knows? It might be cool if your cat could be the "Ambassador in Chief" at vet clinic! ;)

I don't know if any of these ideas are doable but you'll never know if you don't ask.

Once you have a plan, put it in your will or, at least, write it down and get it notarized then put it with your important papers.

Remember: Agreements are only as good as the paper they are written on. ;)

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to second this advice to talk to your vet! They have contacts--and are also committed to the animal. My favorite vet used to say, "I'm the animal's advocate."

At one practice where I brought my cat some years ago, there were suddenly 4 cats in a small room off the lobby with 'posters' advertising them for adoption at the main desk. I asked about this unusual situation, and my vet told me that two clients had suddenly died, and those were their cats. The clients were elderly, and both had arranged with the vet to 'manage' the adoption of their pets so that they would not go to a shelter.

The cats were all adopted in a short period of time--and the vets knew the adopters well, so the cats went to good homes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat vet, pre COVID, always had cats and kittens in the office up for adoption. So does the dog's vet for that matter. In fact, in her office they take them from shelters which are overcrowded and try to get homes.

Definitely talk to your vet and make it clear that the situation is serious and urgent. Don't present as you just wondered about what would happen if....make sure that they understand that you need some help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any of this may or may not be of help to you. In my case, I planned well in advance, because it's my personality type to do this. I got an appointment with a personally known attorney well versed in animal law -- yes, that is a field -- who was one of the first in this area to win a case on behalf of a cat. I do not trust anyone's "promises" so I made the best deal I could, which is that the person I appoint in the law firm would take over the care of cats surviving me, utilizing my estate; and afterwards, the remainder of my estate will go to an organization that fights for cats nationally and globally. Yes, legal provisions cost. But if you are able, it is one way to do all you can on behalf of your loved one(s).
There are sanctuaries and rescues that state they will take cats who survive their caregivers, for differing fees. Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah is one such. I have visited their headquarters and it is truly amazing. Though their personnel have changed since then, I would still recommend checking them out. Also, google/bing cat sanctuaries/rescues in your chosen area who do this, contact them and ask them what their policies are.
I also have a sticker on my front window alerting first responders that there are cats within, and how many. Fortunately, this is a very good city, as cities go, for cats.
You may want to check with the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) to see if they have registries of attorneys in your area who may be able to advise you.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother knows how much Pumpkin means to me. He's my little baby and I love him dearly. Only problem is, my brother will not come near me because I'm vaccinated. He seems to think that he will get blood clots from me or my cat because I've had the Covid vaccine. My brother lives in Dad's house and I think he's being a bad influence on our father. Dad refuses to get vaccinated either and is in poor health too, so I can't ask him to take on this responsibility.

I can't rehome him now. I just can't. I gave that some thought today and decided not go, given our strong bond and his medical issues, which for now are under control.

I don't have the money for a trust fund for Pumpkin. I pay his vet bills in cash, which isn't easy but he's worth it. He's got his first check up since before the pandemic began coming up next month. I dread taking him because we'll be going on the bus. He hates cars but as far as I know has never been on a bus before. We'll be using my power wheelchair so he'll have to cope with the wheelchair lift.

I hope he won't go nuts. But he needs this checkup and his rabies booster.
sorry to sound mean, but your brother is an idiot for thinking he will get blood clots because YOU got the vaccine. What the actual fxxx
Okay, now that that off my chest.
If your care manager agreed to care for Pumpkin why would she go back on that?
Im wondering why you are so worried if she already agreed to...
Also, sorry again, but its best your cat not live with your brother if he has such an idiotic mentality

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry to sound mean, but your brother is an idiot for thinking he will get blood clots because YOU got the vaccine. What the actual fxxx
Also, sorry again, but its best your cat not live with your brother if he has such an idiotic mentality
THANK YOU amandag1 amandag1 for voicing my thoughts exactly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I just looked at Nextdoor for my area and a woman asked for help with rehoming her 9 year old cat because of medical issues which prevent her from keeping the cat. A number of people immediately stepped up and either offered to pursue this, or said that they knew someone who would take an older cat, or knew of a rescue. Of course, these all have to be vetted, but it was almost instantaneous.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at Nextdoor for my area and a woman asked for help with rehoming her 9 year old cat because of medical issues which prevent her from keeping the cat. A number of people immediately stepped up and either offered to pursue this, or said that they knew someone who would take an older cat, or knew of a rescue. Of course, these all have to be vetted, but it was almost instantaneous.
My Elvis was adopted by me at age 9 after my oldest friend told me a rescuer friend of hers had received info about him. It happens more frequently than negative types would have us believe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some people do not want young animals, either puppies or kittens, as they don't want all that is involved in raising them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would you really want to leave the decisions for your on going cat's health to someone who makes up fictitious scary things about vaccines?
Definitely NOT. Now that I know he feels this way there's no chance in Hades that I'd let my brother get near Pumpkin ever again.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I thought your brother was thinking he would get a blood clot from stress. 🤦🏻‍♀️ That is almost as good as vaccinated people effecting the fertility of women around them. 🙄 I sometimes talk to an old roommate who is into conspiracy theories. I ask for concrete, fact checked proof. At which point he either tries to redirect to another conspiracy theory or mutters how fake news can not be trusted. Which I count as a “you are right but I won’t admit it.” So instead of telling him he is wrong, ask him to explain it to you & show you proof on just this one subject. Then return your proof that Covid vaccines are safe (especially the one you got) & then address his “people who are vaccinated cause side effects to the non vaccinated” bit with “show me proof” or my favorite “Trump is a giant lizard alien in a human suit ..... go ahead prove me wrong!” To illustrate the need for cold, hard, scientific facts. Facts don’t lie, they just are; like gravity. ⭐Don’t try to get your brother to stop believing in conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories mean you are special & know something no one else knows! ⭐For some reason Fox “news” watchers seem to embrace conspiracy theories more. No idea why.

Again I’m sorry for the misunderstanding. I never meant you should rehome pumpkin now! I meant his being adopted or foster/adopted if you died (or could no longer card for him) might be better for pumpkin then staying with your brother.

Talking to your vet sounds like a great idea! The more people you ask; the better your chance of them pointing you in the direction.

Do you have any other extended family? Even if a cousin or Aunt had a cat or dog they left behind, I & many/most of my family members would take that pet in (& love it.) However not all families are great (like my dad’s side of the family) so I just don’t consider them family. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Blood isn’t necessary to be family. So you can always adopt new family members into your life.

I joined a MS forum years ago. It might be worth looking into support groups & forums for whatever disease you have. They might be able to help you with your Pumpkin question & will be able to help/support you with dealing with your disease.

I don’t know what you are facing physically. I have MS & I’m on SSI. So I get what you mean about money. I buy things for my cat first & myself last. He is vaccinated, neutered & one day (hopefully when he is geriatric) I will pay to give him a good death. However I don’t have $ to give him lots of medical stuff. It doesn’t make you a bad owner or cat guardian,

I know stress doesn’t help with medical stuff. I have learned to admit I need help saves me a ton of stress (& being to exhausted to do anything.) I have also found I need to do something that brings me joy (&/or peace) every day ...... even if just for 5 or 15 minutes a day; is necessary for my sanity. When I talk to cancer patients during my monthly visit to my infusion (IV) clinic they all do the same thing.

It is rather unnerving/depressing/frustrating to feel completely out of control of your body and the only thing worse is when it messes with your mind! My heart goes out to you. I wish you joy, peace & many happy years with Pumpkin.
View attachment 382082
I took Pumpkin to the vet yesterday & will post another thread about that in a few minutes. He had alot done because it's been awhile since his last appointment (because of the pandemic).

He finally go this rabies booster too, which will be good considering that many apartments require pets to be vaccinated. I'm still trying to find another place to move to because it's dangerous. The druggies are taking over and management isn't doing much to stop them.

I don't have any family to go to. My circle of friends is quite small and there's no one else I can go to with these issues. I'm all alone except for Pumpkin. If I can regain my health I want to move to another county and of course, Pumpkin will come with me.

My medical hx is complicated and it includes a borderline ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, asthma, COPD, PTSD, underactive thyroid, etc etc. I'm on my third hernia that makes me look as though I weigh more more than I do and I can't get it fixed. I need more insurance.

I try not to stress but it's so hard with all the things that are going wrong. If I can just move us out of this dump it will help both me and Pumpkin a great deal. I know he knows I'm stressed and a nervous wreck.

Thank you for your kind words! They mean alot to me! <hugs>

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Pumpkin to the vet yesterday & will post another thread about that in a few minutes. He had alot done because it's been awhile since his last appointment (because of the pandemic).

He finally go this rabies booster too, which will be good considering that many apartments require pets to be vaccinated. I'm still trying to find another place to move to because it's dangerous. The druggies are taking over and management isn't doing much to stop them.

I don't have any family to go to. My circle of friends is quite small and there's no one else I can go to with these issues. I'm all alone except for Pumpkin. If I can regain my health I want to move to another county and of course, Pumpkin will come with me.

My medical hx is complicated and it includes a borderline ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, asthma, COPD, PTSD, underactive thyroid, etc etc. I'm on my third hernia that makes me look as though I weigh more more than I do and I can't get it fixed. I need more insurance.

I try not to stress but it's so hard with all the things that are going wrong. If I can just move us out of this dump it will help both me and Pumpkin a great deal. I know he knows I'm stressed and a nervous wreck.

Thank you for your kind words! They mean alot to me! <hugs>
*PRAYERS* for you to find a more peaceful and good place to live, soon! and that may help you some with your health. Good on ya for getting Pumpkin vetted and updating his booster.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* for you to find a more peaceful and good place to live, soon! and that may help you some with your health. Good on ya for getting Pumpkin vetted and updating his booster.
Thank you! <hugs>

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are able to move to a nicer place, you might also find that you will make new friends and have more of a support network for both you and Pumpkin.
This is true. I'm basically starting over. For now I'll remain in Oswego County but when my health gets better (hopefully) I'll move Pumpkin and me (pardon my grammar) towards Albany.

I've got no family left that wants anything to do with me. My brother turned on me because I'm vaccinated and I believe Dad is siding with him. I can't reach Dad by phone at all no matter how much I try.

That, of course, belongs in another thread.

Thanks!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I missed your message. Sorry I didn't get back to you before now.

I've had so many people break promises that I find it hard to trust anyone. What my brother did was the last straw. I just want to make sure that Pumpkin w/b ok should the worst happen.

This person is no longer my care manager. She changed jobs last week but said she'll honor her promise.

What my brother did was horrible but it doesn't surprise me given our history. I grew up in an abusive environment. I was physically and emotionally abused by both him and our mother. My dad didn't have anything to do with this because our parents split up before I started kindergarten.

I guess you could say that I didn't have a childhood. This is another reason why trust is such an issue for me.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any of this may or may not be of help to you. In my case, I planned well in advance, because it's my personality type to do this. I got an appointment with a personally known attorney well versed in animal law -- yes, that is a field -- who was one of the first in this area to win a case on behalf of a cat. I do not trust anyone's "promises" so I made the best deal I could, which is that the person I appoint in the law firm would take over the care of cats surviving me, utilizing my estate; and afterwards, the remainder of my estate will go to an organization that fights for cats nationally and globally. Yes, legal provisions cost. But if you are able, it is one way to do all you can on behalf of your loved one(s).
There are sanctuaries and rescues that state they will take cats who survive their caregivers, for differing fees. Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah is one such. I have visited their headquarters and it is truly amazing. Though their personnel have changed since then, I would still recommend checking them out. Also, google/bing cat sanctuaries/rescues in your chosen area who do this, contact them and ask them what their policies are.
I also have a sticker on my front window alerting first responders that there are cats within, and how many. Fortunately, this is a very good city, as cities go, for cats.
You may want to check with the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) to see if they have registries of attorneys in your area who may be able to advise you.
I was able to get this straightened out after awhile and have emergency contact information that's posted to the inside of my front door should an emergency happen.

The management team at my apartment complex knows about this and will contact my now-former care manager should something happen to me. If, for some reason, she's not able to help after all my backup plan is for Pumpkin to go to an animal shelter in a nearby county. I already got a statement to that effect notarized after my discussion with their director.

Pumpkin will be ok. Hopefully I will be too.

The pet organization in Utah sounds great. I don't live there but wouldn't mind visiting. I toyed with the idea of moving out of state altogether but don't know how Pumpkin would handle our moving that far. He's a senior kitty now.