I need advice about my two neutered babies.

Tay_97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I need some peace of mind from fellow kitty owners. I have had Goose and Gunther for about 5 months now they are about 7 months old, they are super active but sweet kitties. We got them neutered yesterday, about 12pm was their surgery. We picked them up at 4pm, the vet told us to keep them in the carriers overnight while the anesthesia wears off so we did but they threw a fit, of course i bawled my eyes out because i felt so bad for them. We finally let them out about 5am this morning, goose had light bleeding with a little scab, the bleeding stopped now from what i can see, the vet said some light bleeding and scabbing is ok, and gunthers incision looks great. Im having an issue with keeping them from jumping, playing, and licking the incision. Im going crazy because i have to watch them every second and im running on 4 hours of sleep, were going to buy cones when petco opens but i already know they are not going to cooperate with them. What can i do to keep them calm and not so hyper? Will they be ok if they play and jump? I cant kitty proof my apartment, they literally do as they please usually so they are used to jumping on counters roaming around and i dont have a room i can keep them in, my bathroom is too small and theres too many shelves for them to climb on. Im just so lost right now :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never curtailed my cats after surgery, just keep them inside and safe. I think cones, caging, etc. brings on more stress then it was worth and do neither. Stress delays healing. Just keep an eye on the incisions in case of infection, not in the MANY males iI have had neutered, have any gotten infected. Licking a little won't hurt, that usually stops into the second day. 9 times out of ten, they are back to normal in two days......
You could try keeping them confined to one room, but I have a feeling young cats are not going to stand for that. They are still very much in the kitten stage, I would be much more concerned if cats that age were NOT moving around. The biggest worry about after surgery is them getting hurt because they misjudge a jump, etc. because of the anesthesia, they are over that hurdle now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tay_97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never curtailed my cats after surgery, just keep them inside and safe. I think cones, caging, etc. brings on more stress then it was worth and do neither. Stress delays healing. Just keep an eye on the incisions in case of infection, not in the MANY males iI have had neutered, have any gotten infected. Licking a little won't hurt, that usually stops into the second day. 9 times out of ten, they are back to normal in two days......
You could try keeping them confined to one room, but I have a feeling young cats are not going to stand for that. They are still very much in the kitten stage, I would be much more concerned if cats that age were NOT moving around. The biggest worry about after surgery is them getting hurt because they misjudge a jump, etc. because of the anesthesia, they are over that hurdle now!
That makes me feel a bit better! Thankfully they are sleeping right now, but goose keeps trying to lick his incision which has me so worried. I dont know how in the world im going to sleep tonight.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never curtailed my cats after surgery, just keep them inside and safe. I think cones, caging, etc. brings on more stress then it was worth and do neither. Stress delays healing.
Hi, do you mean not after any surgery? Or just male neutering? Interested to know.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting activity if in pain. I have never confined mine after spay/neuter for more than long enough for the anesthesia to wear off. I've not had any problems either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tay_97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting activity if in pain. I have never confined mine after spay/neuter for more than long enough for the anesthesia to wear off. I've not had any problems either.
They are acting like they aren't in pain, im just scared they will jump or play and bust the incision. Thankful they have been napping the past few hours.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, do you mean not after any surgery? Or just male neutering? Interested to know.

Di and Bob means after a neuter surgery. No cone, caging, etc is needed.

For other surgeries, the vet will provide instructions on post-surgery aftercare. Caging, a cone, etc may be needed so the cat can heal and not bother the surgical site.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob means after a neuter surgery. No cone, caging, etc is needed.

For other surgeries, the vet will provide instructions on post-surgery aftercare. Caging, a cone, etc may be needed so the cat can heal and not bother the surgical site.
Ah okay cheers :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is what I have meant. Like mentioned above I do watch them closely following a spaying or major surgery, especially when still under the influence of anesthesia. Cats ARE self limiting after surgery. If by chance they open the incision a little, I observe closer for infection and they have always healed. People often open an incision a little too. It's not to be concerning unless it is big, or anything is protruding. Inform your vet and send a picture so they are aware of the situation and can advise you. Like I said, I have had cats, even after major surgery, act like nothing had happened and jump and play within hours! Moving around is truly good post surgery for all systems of the body, that is why doctors get you up and moving so soon. Your boy should be pretty much back to normal now!