I need a sound recording of mom cat "trumpeting" call for kittens

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So there was a video I saw years ago of someone playing a sound that made a bunch of kittens emerge from hiding, responding to the call for food. It was that trumpeting sound a cat makes when it's made a kill, letting its kittens know it's dinner time. Or when they want the kittens to come nurse. I can't find that video now.
There are feral kittens that I need to coax out of hiding and to my traps. Tuna wasn't enough last time, but I'm trying again this Sunday. TIA

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of mom cats calling babies on YouTube. I looked at a LOT of them but none exactly match that call but every cat in my house came for this one so maybe? I don’t know if the kitten sounds will help or deter but my youngest seemed interested in other kitten calls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Those aren't the videos I was thinking of, and I still can't find it, but the sound I was looking for is actually this! My cat used to make this sound when she 'caught' her catnip mousie. It seems to be a more consistent sound than the more idiosyncratic mother cat calling her kittens sounds.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that sound! One of my cats, Susy, had a litter of kittens before I got her spayed. She makes this sound whenever she gets a mouse and all the others come running.

Funny, to me it sounds like the cat in the recording is saying "Sugoi, sugoi!" which is Japanese for "Great! Great!"

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Those aren't the videos I was thinking of, and I still can't find it, but the sound I was looking for is actually this! My cat used to make this sound when she 'caught' her catnip mousie. It seems to be a more consistent sound than the more idiosyncratic mother cat calling her kittens sounds.

Well.
Louie left his dinner in the kitchen and came to me when I just played this - lol !!!
I bookmarked it so I can see later if he comes again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone else is desperate to lure a cat to them/the trap area, I made an audio mix that combines mama cats calling their kittens and the trumpeting sound:

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

OH MY GOODNESS! My other cat drags around a string toy and makes these noises. She's done it for years and we didn't know what she was doing. She must be pretending she has kittens!