I need a new vacuum.

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Morning everybody, TGIF!!!!!

Well my vacuum decided to break last night

I changed the bag and now somehow it won't suck anything up.

It was a cheaper Bissell, probably around $60.00.

I am looking into a new one for under $100.00 that will be good to sweep up the kitty litter and other stuff in the house.

Anybody have a brand that they like that I should look at?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say you changed the bag and now it won't suck anything up. Did you check the belt, and did you check the hose? I was ready to chunk my bagless last year (like THIS one,) when it totally stopped sucking up. So to speak
. I finally took it apart and after checking EVERYthing, discovered that at some point I had vacuumed up a drinking straw, which became caught in the curve of the hose, which consequently started catching Pekingese hair (no kitties at the time,) and then dust and dirt until it was totally blocked. I had to shove the blockage on through with a broom handle. Works like a champ now though! For a less expensive vac it does really well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

You say you changed the bag and now it won't suck anything up. Did you check the belt, and did you check the hose? I was ready to chunk my bagless last year (like THIS one,) when it totally stopped sucking up. So to speak
. I finally took it apart and after checking EVERYthing, discovered that at some point I had vacuumed up a drinking straw, which became caught in the curve of the hose, which consequently started catching Pekingese hair (no kitties at the time,) and then dust and dirt until it was totally blocked. I had to shove the blockage on through with a broom handle. Works like a champ now though! For a less expensive vac it does really well.
I like that one and for 50% off. I might order that!

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i use a bagless Bissell, love it - i can actually see what it sucks up each time and litter is alot of it lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yasmine

i use a bagless Bissell, love it - i can actually see what it sucks up each time and litter is alot of it lol
I think I'm going to try bagless this time. They a lot better than bags?

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, I suggest trying them out at a store first (like Sears or something like that) whether you buy from there or not. I bought a vacuum based on owner opinions (and looks) and I hate it. I'll never buy a vacuum again without testing it first.

And I like bagless better just because I hate changing bags!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DRIVEN

I think I'm going to try bagless this time. They a lot better than bags?
The thing about bagless as opposed to bags is that in my experience vacuums that use bags get to where they don't suck as well as the bag fills. The bagless you can empty each time so you always have a fresh one so to speak. And it's amazing the amount of crud you see that you pick up out of a supposedly clean carpet with the bagless!

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

And it's amazing the amount of crud you see that you pick up out of a supposedly clean carpet with the bagless!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You won't find a decent vacuum for that price bagless or not.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE my Dyson Animal! It's more than you wanted to spend, but It's well worth the price!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love our bagless Bissell !!! My s/o loves it too as he's the one who vacuums... he paid $80 something at Walmart....

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cagnes

I LOVE my Dyson Animal! It's more than you wanted to spend, but It's well worth the price!
I second this, I kill vacuums at a good clip because of my long hair cats and the dyson animal is amazing. It just keeps chugging along.

First day I used it I pulled a entire coons worth of hair out of the carpet.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Dyson Animal too (obviously I don't need it for pet hair, but...) and I don't like it. I can go across a piece of lint 3 times and that thing still won't pick it up, and I have low-pile carpet. I don't get it because everyone loves it!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too love the bagless vacuums. I am pretty hard on them (I think an ideal reincarnation for a really evil person would be to come back as my vacuum), so I always get them used since they have to be replaced about once a year. My current vacuum is a Dirt Devil Kinetic and I like it very much.

In a perfect world I'd have a Dyson Kinetic but there is no way I will be able to afford one in the foreseeable future.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just got other things besides a vacuum that I'd much rather spend $500 at one whack on. I'd rather replace the thing every 3-4 years (although my first vac, a Kenmore cannister, was around $150 and lasted 10+ years) for under $100.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I have the Dyson Animal too (obviously I don't need it for pet hair, but...) and I don't like it. I can go across a piece of lint 3 times and that thing still won't pick it up, and I have low-pile carpet. I don't get it because everyone loves it!
Wow, you are the first person I have heard who hasn't raved and raved over the Dyson. It's been my dream vacuum.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Wow, you are the first person I have heard who hasn't raved and raved over the Dyson. It's been my dream vacuum.
I'd have to second that... I've never heard anything but good things on Dysons... I just got the Dyson Animal for Christmas, and I think it's fantastic.