I Need A Large Litter Box With Low Sides For My Senior Cat.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is 17 and the vet thinks he has some pain issues associated with the litter (he's been spraying - something he has NEVER done in all our years together - until last month). So I am in search of a a box that might be easier for him -

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also get a very large baking pan. They have low sides, and being stainless steel, very easy to clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's no Ikea here, Tabbytom. Did you order yours?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There's no Ikea here, Tabbytom. Did you order yours?
No, we have IKEA here. But this box is pretty thin and easily crack if you pull with litter inside, unless you carry the box by the handles but that's very heavy if it quite full.

Not sure if there are other better and stronger boxes with low sides. Maybe you can try what kashmir64 recommended.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An under-the-bed type storage container will work just as well. You can buy them at many places: Wal Mart, Target, Bed Bath Beyond, etc. Hardware stores may have something similar but heavy duty.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also add a "step" so your elderly cat can get into and out of the box more easily. An old phone book is great if you still have any lying around collecting dust. Something similar and sturdy will work, a garden brick or two perhaps?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw that one, Lalagimp, but the reviews said their cat could not turn around in it, that the dimensions listed are not the interior of the box and t hat is is smaller; therefore not necessarily appropriate for a cat with senior issues.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also add a "step" so your elderly cat can get into and out of the box more easily. An old phone book is great if you still have any lying around collecting dust. Something similar and sturdy will work, a garden brick or two perhaps?
Good idea.
My son doesn't even know what a phone book is, or a rolo-dex.
We are showing our age here.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is really made for cats who stand up to pee or throw litter out of the box, but you could certainly cut the door out of a tub like this with as low of a "threshold" as your cat needs. I also like the idea of patio paver, bricks, or a phone book on the outside to help him climb inside.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the black Nature's Miracle litter pan that Oscar&Copper posted the link to. If you want, I can go measure how high the entrance is. Maggie does like to throw litter out the low front, so I don't put as much litter right by the opening.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is that the one with the 'scoop' in the front? I dont know if Obi would go for that or not...but I will take a look at it locally if I can, I am on a mission this afternoon, for litter boxes and cat fountains.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up an extra large litter pan at the grocery store! Stop & Shop.. My guy loves to pee, with his front paws outside the box!! He sits on the litter; as he pees, his behind goes higher and higher in the air.
This box is the perfect size for him. He just walks, in and out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's the one with the scoop in the front and Maggie scoops litter right out of it. I just went and measured it for you and the entrance is a little over 5 inches high. I have all the high back Jumbo/Giant pans- Nature's Miracle, NVR MISS, So Phresh from Petco, Petmate and Van Ness from Chewy. They all are at least 5-6 inches high in front. The lowest one I have is the Smartcat, but it's not my favorite because of the super low 4 inch front and round shape. Here's the link.
SmartCat Ultimate Litter Box

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I use. It's a $6.00 Drywall Mud Pan from Lowes.
If tabbytom tabbytom had one of these, he would not be so darn grumpy all the time. :flail: