I miss my Maine Coon...

Steph in Louisville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love Maine Coons. I am loyal to the breed. 16 years ago I got a pair from a breeder. Last year, I lost both due to old age. A few months later (last year), I purchased two new brothers. I named them Aslan and Echo. A month ago, I lost Echo. Vet said he was born with a rare heart problem. "Idiopathic Diolated Cardiomyopathy" It was a gut wrenching decision but I felt I had no choice to put him to sleep. He was only 14 1/2 months old! Still a baby!! Aslan was fine at first. It took him 2 days to realize his brother was gone. He became a mess and stopped eating and meowed alot.. I called the breeder and told her what happened to Echo. She was deeply sorry, and said she had and older 5 month female kitten that I could have for free so Aslan could have a buddy again. Her name is "Elektra". I decided to adopt her. I brought her home and after several "supervised" visits, they get along great. They play, groom eachother. Aslan has a buddy again. MY PROBLEM IS that I feel guilty. I LOVE this new kitten but it was too soon emotionally. This all happened too fast and I did not have a chance to grieve Echo's loss. I feel like I have this little "bandaid" running around the house!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO to to help my grieving for my loss of Echo?! Attaching pics.. 1st is Aslan, 2nd is Elektra, 3rd is Echo

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to remember you got the new kitten to ease the pain of your remaining cat. Your allowed to grieve for Echo so try not to feel bad of course you love the new kitten just in a different way. And for yourself give it time you'll always miss Echo but it won't hurt as much remember the good thing's he brought into your life. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steph in Louisville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tik Cats Mum.. Thanks so much for your reply...I adopted the new kitten more for Aslan than me.. after his brother passed, he was a mess. Missed a companion. So far, they are getting along. :)

"love my new kitten just in a different way" your words are spot on and eased my guilt tremendously.. I really appreciate it.. you gave me an "Ah-HA!! moment!! Lol!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
S Steph in Louisville welcome to TCS :wave3:

I agree with Tik cat's mum that you wanted to do this mainly for Aslan, and that's lovely.:redheartpump: There seems to be something about the human condition that makes us experience guilt when there is loss, even though there is nothing to be guilty about.
You really did do the right, and caring, thing. :)

We have a forum here called Crossing the Bridge where people leave a thread to honour the life of their kitties who have passed. Members often feel that posting their helps the grieving process. Perhaps posting their about Echo will help. :rbheart:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did something similar except it was my golden retriever. I lost her in April and I totally got George based on my broken heart. It's still broken. But George is his own "kitty", has his own personality and traits and well - he's a cat. He didn't replace my Sadie - I have a brand new heart just for him. Give yourself time. I still miss my Raggie I lost 2 years ago this month. We love our pets, they are family. But we have lots of love to give and can give some fortunate animal wonderful homes. Hugs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Electra will never replace Echo, she is an addition to his place. You have a big heart and saw what was happening to Aslan, you gave him the gift of another friend to ease his pain. Your broken heart however, will take a lot longer to heal. Try to remember that Echo lives on through you now, and any happiness and joy you can send his way gives him peace and helps him to be content in the knowledge that you are alright and continuing to carry on his love. So never feel sorry for spreading his legacy and continuing to open your heart. Because love is spiritual, he will always be a part of your very being for eternity.
Of course you feel pain right now, there is an empty spot in your life and home right now where Echo was such a big physical presence. That takes a lot of time to fade as you build a new life's order for yourself and your loved ones. Time will help to fade those open wounds to scars, but it takes a lot of time, one day at a time.......Take care my friend......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steph in Louisville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tik cats mom, Rhall, Mani, Di and Bob. I can't thank you all all enough for your replys. It helped me tremendously!

Mani- "there's something about humans that makes us feel guilt when there is nothing to feel guilty about" AINT THAT THE TRUTH lol!! That can apply to alot of things LOL thanks for the reminder:)

Rhall, and Di and Bob.. you're right, there IS room for my heart and my home for my new kitten, which will require a brand new heart... and that's ok!

On a positive note, Elektra's nails were like little needles and obviously have never been clipped.. I put her in my lap and I gently got the job done without wrapping her up in a towel..no need for a "kitty burrito" she let me clip her nails for the first time with no problem. First MC kitten I've had that didn't fuss! Made me realize everything will be just fine:)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad your feeling like that. It's awesome that you could clip Electra's nails she trust you so much already. By the way I love Maine coons enjoy her she definitely appreciates you giving her a loving home.;)