i miscalculated and my cat is now in heat. what can i do?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She suddenly keeps rolling on the floor and making weird sound. i thought she was in pain i called my vet that she think it's a sign of a female in heat. i adopted her 30th of august from the street and took her to the vet on sunday 2nd of august. (she had a 2 months old kitten that i also took care before but he didn't survive) she had flea and worm medicine but vet don't want to vaccinate immediately becuase she fears she has some unknown ilness that could complicate issue. she recommended to watch her for symptoms for a week. since i thought Rivel was kinda scared from the vet visit and still hadn't adjusted in home i said if it'd be fine if i come 2 weeks later after hopefully she's more comfortable at home.

now fast forward almost 2 weeks later, i came home and found her waiting for me, started flopping on my foot (this is normal behavior even since i brought her home. she use my food as pillow and napped there) but after that she started rolling around making weird sound and the rolling become more intense and if i touch her she either try to nip me or raise her bottom. i recorded the video, sent me to vet and they are sure it's symptoms of heat. i thought since she already had a kitten around 2-3 months ago she won't go into heat after a while.

the problem is the vet don't want to do both at the same time, and the prerequisite of spaying is the cat had vaccination. so i am to bring her for vaccinations tomorrow, but i have to wait 1-2 weeks before she can be spayed.

now i have to probably spend many sleepless nights and possible neighbor complaints due to her yowling. so how to help her and maintain my sanity now?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You could try a different vet. When feral cats are TNR'd they are spayed or neutered and vaccinated at the same time, so a clinic that treats ferals might be willing to do both procedures for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try a different vet. When feral cats are TNR'd they are spayed or neutered and vaccinated at the same time, so a clinic that treats ferals might be willing to do both procedures for you.
Thanks. I hope i can find a solution.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Boone and Gracie to a low cost clinic that does a lot of rescue/feral cats and the kittens got fixed and their last baby shots at the same time. No issues whatsoever.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know any low cost clinic as TNR programs are very rare in my country and the only group i know that does it is non profit citizen organizations that operate 2 hours from here.

I will try contacting other local vet or try to persuade both. She looks so uncomfortable and clawed me for the first time in this few weeks we have known each other :( she never hurt or hiss me before. The only time she ever hurt me was accident on my fault. We were playing and i didn't mind enough where i put the toy. She pounced on it and hit my knee isntead

My poor girl :(

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kommunity kats kommunity kats was right about the possibility that she's in heat. I should've taken actions sooner. I just thought after having kitten 2-3 months ago she would be fine (ignorant of feline mating cycles). I considered her stress level too initially. I thought letting her longer in the house would be better because frequent vet visit will stress her as she is still adjusting in our new home.

It's uncomfortable for both of us really. I lost sleep she's restless.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a pain, yeah. But it is best to wait if possible, as they bleed more during a spay when in active heat. If you wait about 10 days she should be in a less active stage and it should be safer. My last vet always made me wait---it's annoying but you'll get through it!

A heating pad on her abdomen may help a bit, and putting her in a warm darkened room may buy you a few hours of peace.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a pain, yeah. But it is best to wait if possible, as they bleed more during a spay when in active heat. If you wait about 10 days she should be in a less active stage and it should be safer. My last vet always made me wait---it's annoying but you'll get through it!

A heating pad on her abdomen may help a bit, and putting her in a warm darkened room may buy you a few hours of peace.
Yeah, i noticed she sat on my gaming PC which run pretty warm and something she never done before. I don't have heating pad but i read a bottle with warm water inside wrapped with cloth will produce more or less same result?

She calmed down a bit now. It's 9 pm who knows what'd she done later lol.

Is it safe to vaccinate during heat? I think my doctor is right, it is unwise to both vaccinate and spay at the same time as it work their body harder than it should

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats should not be spayed in the middle of the heat anyway, so I'm afraid the only thing to do now is to wait it out. In a way, it's good that she is in heat now, by the time you are done with vaccines it most likely will align with her being out of heat and ready to be neutered.

I think the vet you're going to right now is doing right by the cat. Meanwhile just try to make the cat feel comfortable, if there are cats outside, their scent can be triggering to her, I'd try masking it with scented candles or deodarants. Headphones & loud music is probably the only way to deal with rrepetitive loud meows. :p

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats should not be spayed in the middle of the heat anyway, so I'm afraid the only thing to do now is to wait it out. In a way, it's good that she is in heat now, by the time you are done with vaccines it most likely will align with her being out of heat and ready to be neutered.

I think the vet you're going to right now is doing right by the cat. Meanwhile just try to make the cat feel comfortable, if there are cats outside, their scent can be triggering to her, I'd try masking it with scented candles or deodarants. Headphones & loud music is probably the only way to deal with rrepetitive loud meows. :p
Yup turned out there is a (possible) tomcat by the roof. I don't have second floor technically but there roof access for me to hang laundry and i saw one just earlier. I kept it locked all the time so Rivel cannot go out or the outside cat can't go in.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed she's calmer if i dont turn off the light. I guess i will try this variable tonight and just sleep with lights on

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i noticed she sat on my gaming PC which run pretty warm and something she never done before. I don't have heating pad but i read a bottle with warm water inside wrapped with cloth will produce more or less same result?

She calmed down a bit now. It's 9 pm who knows what'd she done later lol.

Is it safe to vaccinate during heat? I think my doctor is right, it is unwise to both vaccinate and spay at the same time as it work their body harder than it should
A sock filled with rice would be good too since the rice will hold the heat longer. If you think it's too hot after microwaving it you can always wrap it in a towel or add a second sock on the outside.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A sock filled with rice would be good too since the rice will hold the heat longer. If you think it's too hot after microwaving it you can always wrap it in a towel or add a second sock on the outside.
raw uncooked rice? heated with microwave?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
rivel is now vaccinated. she went back hiding under the bed after several days confident outside. poor girl.

i think this is the list:
1. chlamydia
2. calicivirus
3. feline panleukemia
4. rhinotracheitis

after 2 weeks she will be spayed, then 2 weeks after she will get rabies shot and she's set after that

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did the accupressure technique i saw from YouTube basically press the base of her tail (NOT inside her privates!)

And it seem to work as temporary solution. She rolled around for good 30 minutes then back to grooming herself all over.

Rivel why u make me do this 🤣🤣🤣

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IT'S OVER! Rivel let me sleep now. she's just sleep all night maybe wake up to use the litter then go back to her bed (aka my gaming chair that i put beside my bed with some thick warm clothes. if i wake up at night, she just sleep there curled up or maybe half sleeping in a loaf.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! But (I hate to tell you) she may cycle back into heat in a few days. Or she might have pity on you and hold off until surgery. Let's hope for that! Only 8 more days!