I met my "foster" cat's mom today

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a picture of my "foster"*, Tilly (on the bottom) with her adopted younger siblings:

Tilly OnW Grey different levels of cat tree.jpeg

And this is her beautiful mother (and baby sister)! Does this mean she has pointed ancestry?
Tillys mom.jpeg

Another sister also has pale eyes.
Tillys sister.jpeg

Apparently the shelter only recently managed to trap them.

Anyway, how would we describe the mother? This is the first time I've seen this marking combination (black bicolor with blue eyes).

*I started fostering Tilly as a semi-feral kitten whom my shelter was about to return to her colony after a couple months of no improvement in temperament. I felt bad for her and thought she was workable, so I took her home for socialization. That was 5 months ago, in that time she's made tremendous progress, I've grown very attached to her, and she's bonded strongly with my other two failed foster kittens, so I've all but adopted her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know she's a DSH black and white bicolor, but typically blue eyes are seen in cats with either more obvious Siamese ancestry (and so that trait is just implied by and included in the "pointed" descriptor) or in relation to dominant white; I want to know if there's another standardized term that denotes blue eyes (likely) linked to white spotting.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is a dsh bicolor as well, her eyes look yellow, not blue. maybe it is the pics. Usually it is as you said colorpointed cats, white cats and bicolor cats who have blue eyes due to lack of pigment. There was another breed, Ojos Azules, which is not being bred anymore due to defects, which was developed from a blue eyed feral cat. The blue eyes could occur in solid and non light/ pointed cats. The genetic cause of the lack of pigment in OA was different than in siamese cats etc. and caused serious defects.

Thanks for saving her❤

Ojos Azules - Wikipedia

BICOLOURS AND EYE COLOURS

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
White around the eyes can cause blue, much like dominant white. Nothing unusual, no points necessary. I agree, though, eyes look more green than blue in the photos, at least on my screen.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look bluer in the top photo. I would say the white has more to do with it than possible points, which she doesn't have. Beautiful Cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The only pic of the mother cat is the second one; if she's still at the shelter when I go in Sunday I'll get a better shot. Unfortunately I can't adopt her as I already have three (including her daughter, in the first pic) and I don't know if she's feral. I assumed the blue eyes came along with the white spotting, but I always enjoy learning about more specific descriptive terminology (something more concise than "high-white black bicolor DSH with blue eyes").

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The only pic of the mother cat is the second one; if she's still at the shelter when I go in Sunday I'll get a better shot. Unfortunately I can't adopt her as I already have three (including her daughter, in the first pic) and I don't know if she's feral. I assumed the blue eyes came along with the white spotting, but I always enjoy learning about more specific descriptive terminology (something more concise than "high-white black bicolor DSH with blue eyes").
Ok I am a bit confused or was because I missed your note that the second bicolor kitty is another kitten for some reason. I thought it was the same cat, lol. I thought the other cats were your previous kitties. such cuties by the way, 😻 But now I see the larger bw tux is your foster you will adopt. She looks so much bigger / older though than the other kitten

So mom I assume is the top pic, her eyes do look like a very light blue there when I looked again but the kitten’s eyes look yellow.
Anyway they aren't pointed as far as I can see, like others said, so no likely or obvious siamese ancestry. Pointed cats almost always have the darker pigmentation on their face/mask, ears, paws/ legs/ tail & genitals. But white in some cases can mask it like with snowshoes who were pointed siamese cats with white spotting. Rag doll bicolors as well.

I have not seen very many bicolor kitties who have blue eyes though unless they are rag dolls or snowshoe types or maybe other breeds who can have those characteristics which are also in parts the domestic population. I have not seen any kitties who have blue eyes with only a small amount of white around the eyes, but I am sure there are some.