I messed up and need help, my cat is scared of me now

driftchicken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I adopted Mr.Fluffy a few months ago. He's a very handsome 2 year old short hair. He's quite the jumper!

Here's the back story leading up to today... When we first took him home from the shelter we limited him to just the guest bedroom. We opened up his carrier and left him alone. I would peek in the room every hour or so to see how he was doing. Later that evening, I found him outside of his carrier and hiding under the bed. With a little bit of encouragement over the next few days he started coming out on his own to play with us. Eventually it got to the point where he would try to sneak past when we entered or left "his room." One night we could hear him meowing while we slept and he was scratching the door trying to get out. We decided the next day we would leave the door open and allow him to explore on his own. He adjusted very quickly. Eventually we were at the point where he "owned" the upstairs hallway. He would lay there and wouldn't even move out of the way when we walked by, just expecting us to walk around him. He would greet me at the top of the stairs when I got home from work, probably because he knew it was eating time! He finally discovered a whole world downstairs for him to explore.

Now the bad part... I need some guidance. I fear I messed up big time and am wondering if this is something we can recover from or if he's permanently scarred. About a month ago, I caught him on a glass table, somewhere he's been told numerous times NO. This time he freaked out and unfortunately claws don't grab glass very well. He slipped knocking stuff over. I yelled at him and chased him around the house. After doing that I realized the mistake I had made and I felt really bad about it, I still feel guilty today. It wasn't fair to him. After this happened, understandably, he was very scared of all of us in the house. He would run at the sight of anybody. It took a couple days of talking to him calmly and just hanging out in his room (his hiding spot) for him to come out and acknowledge me. It's been an uphill battle and I've been walking on eggshells to not upset him again. Now were at a point where he doesn't run away from me immediately. In fact, he usually follows me around the house. If I'm watching TV in the living room he'll sit on his perch by the window or on the chair near me. When I'm out front smoking he'll sit and wait by the door for me. At night when he thinks we're asleep, he'll jump into bed with us and sleep at my feet. When I come home, he runs down to greet me but doesn't tolerate much affection. In fact I've noticed that sometimes he'll roll around when I approach, other times he'll run away when I approach. However, most of the time, if I approach him he scoots away. So I've stopped approaching as much.

I understand I made a mistake. I've been trying to make things better but at the same time I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I feel like I can't walk around my own house freely because he's there and it will freak him out if I'm walking somewhere and he just happens to be in the way. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much just ignore him most of the time now. I get home from work, say hi to cat. Feed cat. Go upstairs and do homework on the computer. Cat usually follows me into the room and sits on the bed behind me or under the computer desk near my feet. Sometimes he'll jump on the desk, maybe I'll pet him then just briefly then back to work. Sometimes I close the door to the room and I later find him laying down in front of the door like he's waiting for me. I just don't acknowledge him anymore. I just don't get it, he's scared of me yet he'll follow me around the house. I don't know if Fluffy will ever forgive me.

Maybe I should have gotten a hamster instead... I wouldn't be dealing with constant rejection.

simmerqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know that you messed up, so please understand the speed with which Fluffy trusts you again is on his terms, not yours. I think he will, but I also think you need to be very patient. He was still a relatively new cat to you when this happened so it's not like you had years of positives to outweigh this very scary negative. Be aware that cats don't know that going on a particular table is 'bad' - it's just another object in their world. All he knows is that when he does you become a scary predator and if he avoids the table, it's to avoid that scenario not because he's been told 'no' and knows he 'shouldn't'. So if you can't understand that, then yes you should have gotten a hamster lol.

But on the positive side, I think the fact that he still wants to follow you around is a good sign. I think if you were to get a wand toy and entice him into some active play it might go a long way to rebuilding your relationship. Also, find a treat he really loves and offer them to him a few times a day. Make sure no one else gives them to him, just you. You need to help him see you as a fun person who gives him yummy food. Good luck - Mr. Fluffy is a very handsome boy!!

egostorm12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I have had cats all my life.  I have adopted and brought strays home as well.  I will call him fluffy since you named him that.  Fluffy was put up for adoption so he had some life before.  Those owners left him.  He was abandoned no matter how you look at it.  Now.  He has one owner that he doesn't really know or trust.  So the first thing i can tell you is that he is not a dog.  Dogs are very dependent on their owners cats are more independent.  Fluffy will know his name if you say it to him enough and He will meow when he is hungry.  Cats hate dirty litter boxes and they usually love to be pet.  stroke head and stop yelling and acting insane to them.  Fluffy needs to trust you, and he doesn't so act trust worthy.  Feed at the same time everyday talk softly to him when coaching him.  Let them explore the home.  Cats don't need to be locked up.  Fluffy wants to like you he sits by you when you are on the computer and sleeps on the end of the bed.  He likes you so stop being so dependent.  He will be loyal to you when you quit being so abnormal.   Buy him some cat toys.  They love to interact with string trying to catch it.  I even taught one of my cats to fetch a small red rubber ball and bring it back to me. Don't let him think you don't like him - he will pick up on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You know that you messed up, so please understand the speed with which Fluffy trusts you again is on his terms, not yours. I think he will, but I also think you need to be very patient. He was still a relatively new cat to you when this happened so it's not like you had years of positives to outweigh this very scary negative. Be aware that cats don't know that going on a particular table is 'bad' - it's just another object in their world. All he knows is that when he does you become a scary predator and if he avoids the table, it's to avoid that scenario not because he's been told 'no' and knows he 'shouldn't'. So if you can't understand that, then yes you should have gotten a hamster lol.

But on the positive side, I think the fact that he still wants to follow you around is a good sign. I think if you were to get a wand toy and entice him into some active play it might go a long way to rebuilding your relationship. Also, find a treat he really loves and offer them to him a few times a day. Make sure no one else gives them to him, just you. You need to help him see you as a fun person who gives him yummy food. Good luck - Mr. Fluffy is a very handsome boy!!

Your boy wants to be with you - that's a big positive.  One of the best ways to bond with a new cat is to play with them so playing with him with a wand toy is a great idea.  A lot of cats go nuts over Da Bird, leaping in the air for it and chasing it (and you) over the house.  The feathers are real guinea feathers and are arranged in such a way that their motion and sound are like that of a real bird.  End every play session with treats so he feels he has caught his prey.  Giving him a treat or two a few other times a day is also a good idea.  I think you will find he will gradually get over his fear and you can become good friends.  He obviously wants to be your friend - he's just a little cautious.

I agree - he's a very handsome cat.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just been reminded that this is a very old post, so it is unlikely that the OP will see it or take action on it. However, it may contain information that will be useful to other people.