I may lose power and have to go to my neighbors...will my cats be okay here?

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we're down in the winter storm right now. Power outages are starting everywhere, and I'm getting concerned we are going to lose power. It's VERY cold outside, 16 right now, with dangerous windchill values. Totally unusual for here..anyway.

My neighbor has a whole house generator, and has already told us we can come over to stay on the couch if the power goes here. I am wondering if my cats will be alright staying at home, assuming I blanket the windows and lock them in a single room with blankets/each other? I don't want to leave them but I have 4 cats here atm and the neighbors have cats and 2 dogs that don't like cats and it's just a mess, and I have nothing I could just contain them all in.

Also, to be clear, the neighbor is super close, like, 15ft separate of our houses. I would come to feed them normally of course. Just wondering if their fur is enough to keep safe (in the house).

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they should be fine, but I do recommend trying to blanket the windows and give them lots of small, soft places to curl up. A cooler with blankets in it can work in the opposite direction to keep heat IN. Extra food (if you don't have a cat who will eat it all in 3 minutes) which will reduce the number of times you need to open the door and let more heat out.
Sometimes as humans, we forget that cats are already wearing a fur coat and are a bit better equipped for the cold. I know the storm you're talking about (I'm in the midwest and we got hit pretty hard), but this shouldn't last for more than a day or two, so it's not like leaving them for weeks and weeks. Just do your best to secure the house and make them as comfortable as possible.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wind chill and getting wet are usually animals biggest danger when it is cold. As long as they have a dry place they can curl up in out of the wind, their fur will usually keep them warm. A cooler with blankets (lid all the way off or set up so the lid can't accidentally close them in) is a good idea. Some cardboard and blankets to reduce the opening size would probably help. If you have straw or newspaper to layer between the walls and blankets that can help with insulation. Otherwise, boxes with blankets or towels and whenever possible make a doorway into the space to create a smaller space where heat will stay in (if you have tile or wood floors put the boxes on a blanket or towel to insulate them from the floor too). Since you have multiple also provide a larger space they can cuddle together. I'd do a few dry food bowels throughout the space and close to bedding spots to make sure no one has to go far for food. As many litter boxes as you can for the same reason. Remember to bring some warm water when you stop by with food in case their water froze, I'd do water bowls away from hide/bedding so that if someone tips one you don't end up with wet bedding.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You can make self-heating beds. Put a layer of aluminum foil in a pillowcase and line the bottom of the cooler or box with it. Then put the blankets on top to make a nest. The foil will reflect the cats' body heat back to them and make a nice cozy bed.