I made my first quilt!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wanting to learn to make a quilt for a long time. A couple years ago I bought one of those cheap quilt kits at a fabric store and put the pieces together, but I never got around to actually quilting it or binding it. Now I have a couple of baby showers coming up, and I always prefer giving something home made rather than store bought, and I want to make them each a quilt. I figured I should finish the one I started first, to make sure I can actually do it. I got it done tonight. I'm so proud! It is really small, only 30" square, but really cute. I had intended for it to be for my cousin's baby boy, so that is why it has cowboys on it. lol Here are some pictures. I can't wait to start a bigger one. This is the next one I want to do for my friend http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/02/...aby-quilt.html

Here it is sandwiched and quilted. The batting is 100% cotton.

Closeup of the cowboys

The back is a celedon and white stripe flannel

Here the binding is half way sew on, the machine sewn part. It still needs to be flipped to the back and has to be hand sewn the rest of the way.

It's done! It hasn't been washed yet, so it doesn't have the wrinkly "quilt" look yet.

Closeup of the binding

The back, the corners turned out great!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Kara!!
You did great! Nice stitching!! Nothing better than a homemade gift!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww that is a really cute quilt!!! You did a really good job!
And I think homeade gifts are far better than bought gifts

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife made a quilt similar to that and gave it to her sister as a baby blanket for her daughter Amy. Amy would NOT go to sleep without it, and took it everywhere. She couldn't say "quilt" so she said "guck." "Guck" is still with Amy, who has moved to Florida from NH and is now 21 years old.

So you may be creating an heirloom!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicely done!

Boy that's a lot of top stitching in that quilt, and you did a wonderful job on the binding! My mom was a quilter and I have tried to make them but don't have the patience for it. I totally appreciate the work that you put into your quilt!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I can't believe it's your first one, your stitching is beatuiful and I've never seen a first-time quiter manage such a precise binding.

Homemade gifts are awesome. Well done.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the corners turned out great!
The corners did indeed turn out great! I've made several baby quilts as gifts, too, and the corners on the binding always give me trouble.
Very, very good job!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's gorgeous! I SO do not have the patience to quilt! But I love admiring other people's work. Your first effort came out amazing!

Mom mom quilts. She gets really creative with it, some of them are more like works of art. In fact, she ended up getting so into it, that when they remodeled their home they added a "quilting room."

Here's a few pics:

Terrible lighting, but she was getting really creative, going 3D:

There's SOOOO much you can do with it! You've got the skill for it, so hope you keep enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Wow! I can't believe it's your first one, your stitching is beatuiful and I've never seen a first-time quiter manage such a precise binding.

Homemade gifts are awesome. Well done.
I was SOO nervous about the binding. It took me two weeks of trying to convince myself to do it, and once I did it was SOOO easy! I used this tutorial http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

I've had lots of practice with straight stitching (thought on the quilt the X stitching could be straighter) by making baby carriers (Mei Tai's). I've made a TON of them. Btw, the double lines of stitching aren't one stitch. I made one line, then went back and did a second line.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks fantastic!! I love quilting! I'm not the best at it but I still enjoy doing it. You did great though! I am impressed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

That's gorgeous! I SO do not have the patience to quilt! But I love admiring other people's work. Your first effort came out amazing!

Mom mom quilts. She gets really creative with it, some of them are more like works of art. In fact, she ended up getting so into it, that when they remodeled their home they added a "quilting room."

Here's a few pics:

Terrible lighting, but she was getting really creative, going 3D:

There's SOOOO much you can do with it! You've got the skill for it, so hope you keep enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
My grandmother was really good at quilts also. I have one that she made that I used on my bed when I was little, sitting in the closet right next to me. It has big butterflies and dragonflies embroidered in each of the squares.

I can't wait to get better so I can make quilts like you showed!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I was SOO nervous about the binding. It took me two weeks of trying to convince myself to do it, and once I did it was SOOO easy! I used this tutorial http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html
I was terrified of my first one too...especially when my mom told me I'd have to do it partly by hand. But now it's probably one of my favourie parts of the quilt. I drag the whole thing up to the couch and the cats and I bind it while watching TV. (they love binding quilts.
)

Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I've had lots of practice with straight stitching (thought on the quilt the X stitching could be straighter) by making baby carriers (Mei Tai's). I've made a TON of them. Btw, the double lines of stitching aren't one stitch. I made one line, then went back and did a second line.
Those are really cool carriers. I really love the colours on the burgundy one. You'd never be able to tell that the double lines were done seperately unless you went over it with a magnifying glass...you really do gorgeous work!