I Made A Monster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok i am working on getting her shots and stuff and im also mildly mentally challenged too so it takes a while to grasp stuff shes not aggressive at all but she loves to play i have a ball that if you bang it it lights up she loves that she has toys on a string too but not on a wand im going to get her one of those

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The most important is getting her shots and spayed. In the longer run it will save you money and make life less stressful for both of you. If you having trouble finding a low cost clinic and are comfortable stating you location we will help you search. (not town but state, county, closest city you can get to)

Everything you've described sounds like an active normal kitten. They live to play, are only ready to cuddle when tired, and they are rarely tired. Since she is affectionate at bedtime there's a good chance she will be more so when she gets older. She doesn't sound feral. She's not fearful or distrustful just full of energy.

A fish is something even a well behaved adult cat would have a hard time resisting. I'm not familiar with fish tanks. Is there a way to make it kitten proof or small enough to move to another room and close the door? A cat can be taught to leave something alone while you're in the room, but when you leave they do what they want.

Attacking something and trying to tear it apart is just hunt play. You can stuff a sock with other socks. A kitten (like a toddler) will see anything as a toy. Keep anything you don't want destroyed in a closet or drawer.

I don't know how to make a scratcher cheaper than you can buy. The younger she is when she learns they are the only acceptable thing to scratch on the better. She will need to be taught to use it instead of furniture. Put it next to her favorite scratch spot and move her to the scratcher when she goes for the furniture.

You can make anything non-toxic a toy. My 13yr still loves a straw.

15 Easy DIY Cat Toys You Can Make for Your Kitty TODAY!

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok i am working on getting her shots and stuff and im also mildly mentally challenged too so it takes a while to grasp stuff shes not aggressive at all but she loves to play i have a ball that if you bang it it lights up she loves that she has toys on a string too but not on a wand im going to get her one of those
I literally took one of their toys and tied it to a stick with some string -- instant wand toy. If the ball is on a string, that might give you enough distance from her Spooky's claws when she's going after the ball.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I just roll it around the house she loves it and i just bought a laser pointer and i have her old toy on some yarn

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She loves loves straws
i got her a laser pointer and anything with yarn tied to a old toy

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I just bought cat nip for the both of them

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your other kitty male or female also? Your girl can reach sexual maturity anytime now and if she's around intact male, she will get pregnant for sure (even 4months old kittens can get pregnant), so I'd spay her as soon as possible, and separate them before it is (if he's male). As already offered, we can help you find a low cost clinic near the place you live. Good luck!

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Graceful Lily, how old is she & is she fixed? Teenage cats often get aloof and a unfixed cat can be a nightmare!

Also I would like to point out that my kitten is well a pain at 7 months. He gets into _everything_, his teething phase was bad, he lives alone with me so he gets bored. I have found that when he is troublesome it can be solved with wet food (he only eats dry food begrudgingly) or play. His daily 1-2 hours of outside harness time hunting bugs/birds and just exploring in his ‘yard’ allows him to tire himself out mentally. (My punk Dante R.I.P. taught me that you have to wear them out mentally and physically. That and outside time can really help calm a hyper punk down.) Playing fetch with his favorite rabbit fur critters while I watch tv is always a good way to tire hyper cats out to.
Omg ...mine is. A little over 7 months too and you’ve described him to a tee! Haha...he’s so damn hyper! He doesn’t go outside so in the mornings i Play so much with him or he’ll start attacking my legs when I walk not in a bad way but just because he wants to play. I don’t remember my other kittens having this much energy but then again I had them in my early 20s and I had them together so it probably makes a difference. Good luck everybody

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as i know she was born to a indoor cat i guess i would love to know what mix she is

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was the same way when I got her. I remember carrying her at the pound and she was squirming for me to let her go. Lol she has a petting limit, then she's done for the moment. Lol I had to teach my other cat to trust me but using treats. Elsa HATED anyone touching her except for my mother. I didn't know what I would do with her after my mother passed. Thankfully i won her trust with treats and being consistent. Now elsa begs for affection even when she has food. She loves being petted.

Another thing that affected Elsa friendliness was the fact that she had rotten teeth and was in pain. :(

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She is in my room at night and is a diffrent cat purring and affectionate its dr spooky mrs hyde
Idk she has bi polar or what it is she runs away from me when i show her affection like ducks me when i go to pet her i let her smell me first but its a nope unless its food or a toy

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don’t use a spray bottle. It doesn’t work the way you’d like it to. You can create behavior disorders using a spray bottle. The cat may learn to associate the spray bottle with you rather than the behavior. Because when you’re not around, she doesn’t get sprayed. Instead of correcting an undesirable behavior, you just teach your cat that you’re mean. She will wait for when you aren’t around to do that thing you don’t want her to do.

It's Time to Stop Spraying Cats with Water! – Feline Behavior Solutions - Cat Behaviorist

Instead, try to think of the appeal from the cat’s point of view. Either take away the appeal (putting away dishes because my Krista will lick my dishes clean if I leave them out) or redirect that appeal to something more appealing and acceptable (providing trees and cardboard scratchers in place of furniture.). You basically have to kitten-proof your home like you would child-proof it. Don’t worry. This is easier than it sounds. Your kitten will tell you what needs to be re-arranged. :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittenhood is an exciting time for her. Don’t be too eager to squash her undesirable behaviors. They may after all just be normal cat behaviors. In that case, it’s better to let the kitten be a kitten and rearrange/make her environment safer without making you scarier. No water bottles. No yelling. A firm no and a redirection is enough. You must redirect the behavior at the same time you are saying no or your kitten won’t put two and two together and figure out what “no” means. Raising your voice just gives her reason to see you as scary. Cats don’t understand discipline the same as dogs. They don’t have the same desire to please. So they don’t feel bad when they displease.

As for the affection, she obviously adores you because she shows you as much at night. But she’s got kitten stuff to do during the day. In the wild, any animal that shows too much interest in another animal either wants to mate or eat. It’s kind of the same with people too. Too much interest is creepy and uncomfortable. Let her do her thing and cherish those moments she chooses to spend with you. As she gets older (and after she’s fixed), those moments will get more frequent. Also initiate play with her. This doesn’t have to be any more complicated than a shoelace. If she sees you as a source of excitement and enrichment, that will increase her feelings of comfort and affection for you.

Last edited:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is just being a kitten. I'm going through my first kitten experience and while they are super nice cats, they drove me bonkers. It was CONSTANT redirection from doing things they shouldn't, and it felt like a loosing battle. I tried the spray bottle, even the motion sensor spray... it just didn't work. Cats don't learn that the behavior caused them to get sprays, only that you're being a jerk and spraying them. So, I stopped because it clearly wasn't helping.
They're just hitting a year now. They sometimes go where they are not supposed to, but the redirection worked and it's been reduced drastically. By redirection I mean taking them away from what they were doing, and saying no. If they jump on a counter where I don't want them, they now listen to "no," and I follow up with a "good boy" when they did what I asked.
Play time followed by feeding works best. I struggled to keep up with their energy, but they at least had each other to play with. But food always comes after play, and right before I want to go to bed. We're working on not waking me up at 6 am (they didn't get the memo about daylight savings being a thing).
What is your fishtank set up like? I have one myself- it's large and on a stand. I had a glass top, but one of the kittens crashed through it. This was on the counter surfing phase, and I attempted to booby trap it by placing items on the top of the tank to create a barrier. One decided he could jump over, and smashed through. It is currently covered by tin foil, because I don't trust them yet, but a few times jumping into water has stopped them from trying again. I've also moved their cat tree away from it, but it is next to the couch so they could still get on it if they wanted to. They have since lost interest, unless I am working on the tank.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She loves to sleep on my back and i do use a spray gun i raise my voice to tell her no and i feel so bad after

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I hear MY story and exasperation in your words. This was ME, yes ME not so many months ago. Maisie was riding my last nerve, I swear and I thought I was going to lose it. Yes I got the squirt bottle but retired it quickly. I watched a kazillion Jackson You Tube videos and tried a whole bunch of things. My friend said I was spoiling her. I said noooooooooo *grins*

We are now 10 months old and after she got fixed in December it did help, that and the continuation of scolding for behaviour not permissable (like attacking my feet and biting, for biting my bare thigh when I'm on the toilet (ouch!) and for stalking me and lunging at my legs as I'm walking with a hot cup of coffee.

Once the better weather got here (Canada - we have to wait a while) I got her out for walks outside - twice a day but she is not comfortable off the apartment building grounds yet. Still working on it day by day.

I take her on errands and boy after a few stops she comes home and sleeps very well and I can get work done on the computer (yes she has a bad habit of walkin over keyboard when I'm not looking and today she printed a document I had already printed LOL)

Love my girl - and yes - she is finally coming for about 5 minutes lap time. She loves the love but of course on her terms :)

It does get better, I swear. I never thought she or I would survive those wild kitten days but here we are and still working on the kitten behaviour.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I will not use the spray bottle i do still tell her no and she know what go to the room still means we play alot shes sleeps alot i try to make her as tired as i can but i still dont know what to do with my alarm clock when she wakes me up purring away in the middle of the night she still ducks me but i think its time to get her fixed

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
I remember those nights of play - just like having a human baby. But remember - these are the kitten days. And they go by faster than human baby nights LOL

I didn't get Maisie fixed until 6 months only because the vet didn't do it before then. I know the Humane Society does them as early as possible so that the kittens go to their furever homes already spayed.

Check with your vet to find out when, or ask at the Humane Society. Ours just had a spay & neuter clinic (for less than vet fees)

I do laugh (inside) when I look straight into Maisie's eyes and say NO, as she has her teeth dug into my socks and she just glares at me. I keep my stare and then she will release her teeth.
I watched a Jackson episode where he suggested not reacting but it's hard when her teeth are on your skin. I am learning though and it really does work. Just takes a lot of self discipline NOT to react.

I hope you have a great kitty-love day!

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Shes wild not feral i just spoil her way too much i dont have money to buy the expensive cat toys so i am always diy everything and the other one sandwich is in her teens shes a brat too