I Luv My Cat: Cat food

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey! This is my first thread!
So anyway, I am tight on money and I am looking for a good canned cat food that is budget friendly. I stumbled across this cat food at Costco, can someone tell me if the ingredients sound good enough to feed three spoiled kitties? :) The brand is I Luv my Cat. Thank you!

Ingredients:
Water Sufficient For Processing, Tuna, Chicken, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Calcium Lactate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10.0%, Crude Fat (min) 1.5%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 84.0%, Ash 1.5%.

I Luv My Cat Tender Luv with Chicken Breast in Gravy Cat Food Formula is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for Adult Maintenance.

Feeding Instructions:
For adult cats, feed according to the age, size and activity of your cat. Feed 1 can per 5-7 lbs. of body weight per day. Feed at room temperature and refrigerate unused portion. Your cat should always have access to clean fresh water.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if you have a Tractor Supply Company store near you, but their 4Health brand food is 99 cents for a 13 oz. can and isn't bad:

The 4health Adult Chicken Formula ingredients are as follows:  Chicken, Chicken Broth, Liver, Dried Egg Product, Brewer's Rice, Dried Potatoes, Barley, Peas, Guar Gum, Flaxseed Meal, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Apples, Carrageenan (sorry, but that stuff is in everything, even most human food!!), Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidera Extract, Dried Kelp, Salt, Dried Parsley, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds pretty good! (As far as I can tell)! Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I don't have a tractor supply near me.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may be able to find Purina Beyond brand wet cat food at your local stores for about 1 buck per 3oz can.  Beyond is pretty good stuff in that its ingredients do not include corn, wheat, or soy.  Moreover, there is no artificial color in Purina Beyond.

Fancy Feast and Sheba are also CWS-free.  Iams has recently lowered its price for the Purrfect Delights Salmon Dippity-do recipe.  No CWS.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a Kroger store, or another store in the Kroger family of stores. they have a wet food called ABOUND.  There are two grain-free kinds that are low carb.  One is grain-free chicken with whitefish, which I do not use because of the fish, but the other is Grain-Free Turkey & Giblets and it has NO FISH in it (most of the less expensive cat foods do contain fish).  Smells good to me, and the cats are willing to eat it, although they prefer if I mix in some nutritional yeast for flavor.  It has a lot of moisture which is good for the urinary tracts.  I use this food for my rescued cat who DID have FLUTD, as it has no veggies or other carbs to speak of and plenty of muscle meat and fat.  Yes, it has gums and carrageenan, but at 69 cents a can, it's affordable even on Social Security retirement.

Grain Free Turkey & Giblet Dinner Cat Food has no corn, soy, or wheat. Also no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

Ingredients:
Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken, Poultry Giblets, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 9.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 6.50%
Crude Fiber (max.) 1.00%
Moisture (max.) 78.00%
Ash (max.) 2.8%
Magnesium (max.) 0.028%
Taurine (min.) 0.05%

Calorie Content (ME Calculated):
1240 KCAL/kg, 193 KCAL/can (5.5 oz.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok! Thanks for all your help everyone! So does that mean that the I LUV MY CAT stuff is not that good?

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot worse ingredients in other canned cat food brands. Give the Costco brand a try and see how they do & if they eat it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok! Thanks for all your help everyone! So does that mean that the I LUV MY CAT stuff is not that good?
Not a fan of the water as a first ingredient. It likely takes more to be filling but would be great for kidneys. You also have to be careful with fish heavy foods because a lot of cat companies use lower quality fish which can mean higher mercury content.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks okay, but not great.  I don't like the fact that their "Tender Luv with Chicken Breat in Gravy" recipe contains more tuna than chicken.  I personally avoid feeding fish-heavy foods.

As mentioned previously, Fancy Feast Classic/Pate and Sheba are great budget-friendly options.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My main objections to the Luv My Cat food is that it is primarily TUNA, and cats should not be fed that much fish.  The other is the Medadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), and that is in every food made by the major manufacturers, unfortunately.  If you feed ONLY foods containing this substance, it could have a negative effect on certain organs.  It is a synthetic version of vitamin K, which could be naturally added to foods using a little alfalfa or kelp, but of course the synthetic chemical is cheaper.  It's hard to get away from in all the big brand foods - Purina (Friskies, Fancy Feast, etc.), Mars (Whiskas, Sheba, Royal Canin etc.), Special Kitty (Walmart's brand), 9Lives and Natures Variety (shocker), but some of the individual store brands including Publix, Dollar General, Tractor Supply (4Health, Paws & Claws), and Kroger (Abound, Pet Pride, Luvsome) don't have it. 

In my opinion, it's always wise to feed a variety of brands, rotated, so your cat doesn't get too addicted to only one thing, and also because if one has a problem, they can eat the other.  So many times when you read the complaints behind recalls, when a bad batch came out, animals stopped eating the food they always ate and the people didn't understand.  They just kept offering only that thing, and either the animal practically starved or else it ate the bad food and got sick.  Remember, every new batch of cat food, whether wet or dry, is technically a "new" food, and it is not necessarily identical to the last batch.  Animals have much better senses than we do when it comes to smell and taste. They usually know better than humans do when something isn't right with their food, and we should trust their instincts.

Here is a link that discusses menadione from Big Cat Rescue,   https://bigcatrescue.org/menadione-sodium-bisulfate/

and another from The Dog Food Project web site:  http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Last edited: