I love my kitten, but he just can't shut up!

rfcanas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is Yuri, a kitten that we adopted 1 year ago. We found it in an post on social media. At the time we adopted him he was around 30 days old and was found on the street. He is a very docile and loving cat. Extremely friendly. He behaves very well, has never broken or scratched anything in the house. Our home has a park where Yuri plays with our other cat, Gandalf, a 5-year-old male, with whom he never had any problems of adaptation (they wash each other, eat together, play, and sleep rolled up).

The only thing that really calls our attention about Yuri is his behavior in relation to the meow. Every time he sees us arrive from work, or even at any time of the day, seeing us he meows very hard, almost with the intensity with which a female usually does it in heat (the sound is quite annoying). If we stroke it, the meow immediately stops, and he seems to enjoy the caresses very much. Sometimes we observe him meowing alone in the yard, while playing trying to catch bugs or while wandering around the park. Unlike our other bigger cat, Yuri never leaves the perimeter of the house. Sometimes he climbs to the roof (he is very skilled at climbing trees and sneaking like a good young kitten), but he doesn't leave the property.

We have tried different techniques to teach him in that he does not need to meow to get our attention, but we are not very experienced in animal behavior to understand what is the best method, if anything actually can be taught, besides observing it and seeing that he does not do it exclusively in our presence, although he do stops meowing if we caress him. The meow does not seem to be related to a health condition, it is very well fed and the veterinarian who vaccinates him says that there is nothing wrong with his physical condition. When he turned 1, we castrated him, although the meow did not start there, but he has been like that since we adopted him.

On some occasion we were mentioned that the meowing in abandoned kittens on the street may be related to the fact that they were separated from their mother at a very young age, prior to the period of breastfeeding, but we have no concise information about whether this is true.

Is there anything we can do to teach him how to meow less? He is already 1 year old, and we fear that it´s been too long to start teaching him new behavior tricks now.

PD: Oh! I almost forgot, Yuri does this cute trick: if we are on the couch or the bed, he approaches and with his paw touches our hand intermittently and rubs his face on our fingers. It's almost as if he´s saying "come on silly human! I need those cuddles now!”

We really love him, but he can’t shut up!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sweet cats!! Why do you even want to stop Yuri from being Yuri? All kind of cats have all kinds of 'quirks' - this just may be Yuri's. Feeby has an unusual 'meow' and always has had (but, it has gotten more so as she ages - just warning you!!). She has always asked for attention, even to the point of announcing herself as she enters a room. I am guessing that she wants to make sure someone acknowledges her.

I will be happy to give you a link to a post that will demonstrate her 'meow' (I call it a squawk) if you're interested in hearing something that can be pretty 'annoying'!! It's just who she is. I always thought it was because she was an only cat, and who knows what her background was before she found us - so, I thought her peculiar meow was that she never learned a 'real' meow. Maybe so with Yuri too, even though he could have learned differently from Gandalf?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Being an abandon kitten may have brought out excessive neediness on his part- however- it also may just be Yuri being Yuri.

I find a cat's meow to be a super cute trait

My word of advice: don't ever get a Siamese.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just talkers! 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️ That saidhrre are two stories that might help.

Dante was a smidge siamese and would sometimes do this high pitch meow that sounded like nails on a chalkboard! I’m prone to migraines and have very sensitive hearing. So this was not going to work! So I trained him to meow in a less obnoxious way. (Cats will change their meow to fit the human! Clever bastards!!!) So every time he meowed in a non headache inducing way I rushed to him and doted on him. When he did the obnoxious way I told him ‘sush’ & just barely (butterfly touch) touched his nose with my finger, then walked away ignoring him. Eventually I just had to tell him sush. In under a year his migraine inducing meows disappeared.

Next Jackie thinks he a opera singer. He 💕loves💕 to go into my handicapped shower and cry loudly (usually when bored.) What shuts him up? Suprisngly the quickest easiest way is talk back to him and call him to me ‘Jackie.... come her little dude, why are you crying Jackie?’ I don’t know if is separation anxiety or boredom but it nipped it in the Bud before I got a noise complaint from one of my neighbors!

Good luck!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Your video is exactly what Geoffrey does and sounds like. He is around 4-5 years old.

I adopted him, November 5, 2018.

He has the same actions as Yuri! And does the same things! It is uncanny! The exact same voice.

Things have not improved. I try to ignore him— sometimes successfully. Most times not.

I just go along with him. We now have conversations with each other. And we have a “special “ call. Who am not feeling well, lying down, I call him over, in his language. He does cuddle with me, when I do this.

One thing which does help a bit, is leaving out a good amount of food for him to snack on during the night.
But then, he wakes me up for other things!!!

He has gotten to a point where he tells me he used the Litter box. He wants it cleaned.

He also just wants ME. To play with, cuddle, feed, or scoop.

Sometimes his constant meowing really gets to me. One time I lost it—- I yelled st him to “shut up”— never do I say that, especially not to Geoffrey. To my amazement, he stopped.

I have also discovered that he meows for attention. When he is doing a behavior he knows is not allowed; he will call me to “show off”. As in:
Jumping on the kitchen counters, jumping on top of the kitchen cabinets an refrigerator. He knows better, but wants attention and play.

It is maddening.

I have no ideas on how to stop the constant meows. It is just him. My cousins cat does the same thing. He came from a hoarding situation— multiple cats.
Their cat is not lonely. They have another cat.

What is the problem with our kitties? Nothing- they are just needy— loving us, Wanting love and attention. We are their person. Their parent. They get live from us. Maddening at times.

I ignore Geoffrey during the nite and early morning. I have had him long enough to know that if he continues, it is to tell me something: as in vomiting, hunger, litter box full-for him.

Geoffrey and I have conversations in his language. Yes, we communicate.

Try to enjoy it, and the fact that Yuri is so dedicated to you.
Good Luck.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks and sounds adorable but having a very vocal cat definitely takes some getting used to. If you truly want to be able to sleep late without him meowing or bothering you then you have to completely and consistently ignore him. If he pesters too much you can shut him out of the room but guaranteed he will make a big and loud fuss. It may take days of this for him to settle down but he will get used to the new routine. When you are up, however, you will eventually be able to tune out some of his talking.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is fed at 6 -8 am. However what helped him to let me sleep was feeding him wet food (& making sure he had dry) at midnight. When I feel sick, I wake up, feed him (sometimes opening the sliding glass door so he can look out the screen) and go back to bed.

In your cat’s wake up call, you need to train him to let you sleep. You can train him for a couple of months or live with it for 13-21 years. I vote you do not reward his behavior! ⭐ I blow on my Jackie (& or tell him no) if he walks over my face, sits in my heads down (push him off my head/pillow with a cranky “NO!”) , the blatantly ignore him & refuse to get up. It worked! He knows if mom is in bed, all I will give him is snuggles and then I sleep.

⭐That is such a tiny baby meow! Dante’s was headache inducing and Jackie meows super loud and long (almost a yeowl.) I also over respond to his quiet meows. Sometimes cats just want attention. Then Salem the clever bastard bats gently at my lips/chin with just enough claw to hurt but not enough for me to sit up yelling ‘OW!!!!!’ He meows at me while doing his gentle bats. I guess he found a way to wake me up without meowing? 🤦🏻‍♀️
⭐If Jackie really bothers me in bed, I hold him next to my chest in my arms (I sleep on my side.) As I start to nod off, my hold loses and the twerp wiggles free. He is just being held and cuddled for a few minutes. Still it worked to get him to quit stepping on my side where it REALLY hurt! The things we do for our babies. 😉