I Lost Newly Adopted Cat

Reynbow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted 2 cats (about 3 months old) yesterday. The former owner said that that were very lovely and nice. I opened their cage, they would immediately try to run away. I would try to pet them but they would hiss at me ang try to scratch me.
I put them inside a room before I went to bed. I was scared that they would escape. When I woke up the cats were gone and there was hole in our window.
What should I do?Would they ever comeback? Plus the former owner keeps on asking me how the cats are.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry they ran away. Since they are brand new to you and to your home, I really don't think they will come back, simply because they are so new. They aren't accustomed to you, don't really know your smells, etc., so have no reason to come back. If anything, they might try to find their previous owner. How far away do they live? Have you asked your neighbors if they saw these babies? I would post signs in the neighborhood, both YOURS and the former owners.

Did you see this thread before you posted? It's got information regarding lost pets: Tips for finding a lost cat Again, since they were so new to you, I would do everything at both places...yours and their former home.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are very, very good at finding their way back to what THEY consider "home," so do tell the former owner that they escaped by breaking a screen while you slept, and to be on the lookout for them.

I'm sure they reacted the way that they did to you because you, after all, were a stranger to them, and they were in a strange place and frightened. Should you be able to get them back, you will need to be very patient with them while they learn that you are a good person, that you want to learn to love them, and that your home is a safe place to be. Trust doesn't happen overnight all the time. Sometimes it must be built.