I Lost My Sweet Kitty Today

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After we had to put my Sweet Thing (my soul kitty) to sleep, there were close friends and family members who felt that I was grieving too much and too long. That this might somehow do me an injury. It wasn't that they were unsympathetic or unloving, just that they truly didn't understand that different people grieve differently and the importance of allowing the grief process to run to its conclusion. At some point, in self defense, I went to the library, to the section on grieving, and picked up the first book on the subject I found. It had a whole chapter on grieving pets, and is the source of most of the advice I give about grieving -- the rules of thumb from my previous message. I would happily credit the author, but at this point I don't even remember which book it was. However, those rules agree with everything on the subject that I've read since.

At that time (1989) there weren't any books in the library specifically on grieving pets, but even then the experts were saying that it's perfectly normal to grieve them, and for the loss of a pet to feel as important as the loss of any other family member would. Now, there are oodles of books about grieving pets, apparently because it's dawned on people in the mental health field that this is a major issue, for a lot of people. (Also because self-help books are a potent source of income, of course. But they still had to recognize that there's a market.)

When the death of a pet coincides with the anniversary of the death of a parent, that really complicates the grief process. My mom died last February, and this year I went into a major funk on the anniversary. I can't imagine how I would have handled it had I lost a pet as well on that day.

inkysmom inkysmom , your feelings of guilt are perfectly normal; all of us have felt similar things. It's part of the bargaining phase of grief. (The so-called "stages of grief" are less useful than one might hope; for one thing grief isn't nearly that orderly -- you can be in denial one day, and in bargaining the next, and back in denial the day after that -- but that doesn't mean that they're false or useless.)

Even when we know that a loved one is dying and have given up on being able to save him, we still cling to hope that we can at least make it a "good" death, easy, and with lots of last minute loving to hold in our hearts after the loss. When circumstances conspire to deny us that comfort the brain rebels. It tries to change the past to something more palatable or, lacking the ability to do that, to change the future to prevent it from ever happening again. And in order to do that, the brain claims powers that it truly doesn't have. You could not have prevented the circumstances that kept you from having a more extended goodbye with Inky, but your emotions want to think that you could have, to protect you from the same thing happening again. And sometimes emotions would rather feel guilty than helpless, even (especially?) when feeling helpless is more accurate. (This is one of the reasons rape victims so frequently blame themselves, by the way.)

So I understand why you feel so guilty, but as a friend I feel that I must point out that these are feelings, and that, in this case, they aren't based on reality. That doesn't mean that they're unimportant; feelings are always important. It does mean that, in this case, they're unreliable, and you need to know that.

It may or may not be possible for you yet, but when you can manage it you would do better to hold all the loving from before Inky's illness in your heart. Try to concentrate on that rather than on your supposed failures on the final two days of Inky's life. That has the advantage of being real, and something that you honestly can hold in your heart forever, to honor Inky as he deserves.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind replies, they help. I found this sweet picture of Inky cuddling with little Ruby. They always loved to be as close together as possible. Inky's toy mouse keeps mysteriously being moved around my apartment whenever I leave. I take my dog with me so one of the cats is playing with it, which they never did before he went to the hospital this last time. They could tell how sick he was. They keep going in the bathroom looking for him and still seem upset. My other cat wanders around randomly meowing in this crying tone until I call him and Ruby keeps hiding in bags or even carriers since I closed up the dog crate.
They're eating and drinking fine though. Ruby is still sneezing. The dog follows me around at the dog park and won't play unless one of his buddies forces him to, or I throw a squeaky toy for him. The one thing he can't resist is squeaky toys. Everything else he ignores.
The only way I've successfully heloed depressed pets before was getting a new kitten or young dog to liven up the house again. But I don't want any new pets or financial stress until I pay off all the debt I have and have a good reliable job again.

We all still miss beloved Inky so much with his awesome little presence and huge personality and character.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much of what you wrote about your life with Inky resonates with me, because I was born into a family and home "with cat" and so far, there have been 68 cats in my life, each one unique and each one absolutely loved. Everything you have written about has happened within my life with these cats, at different times, and with different individuals. I also lost 3 beloved felines within 4 months last year, and a beloved cat whom I had adopted after yet another loss, one week after I lost my father. I have lost cats to Mast cell lymphoma, way too soon, and to so many other terrible scourges, including 2 to FIP. So I guess I could write volumes about grief and you would certainly be familiar with all of it.
Words, though, are only words, and they do not adequately express what we feel.
My heartfelt condolences for your loss, and I hope you know that Inky watches over you until the time when you are reunited.
A last thought now: my own little feral girl, who found me when she was a tiny kitten wandering on our land in the Mojave, has only ever bonded to me. She tolerates other cats, runs from other humans, and is like another part of me. "Just" a feral cat? They don't know.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the kind helpful replies. The compassion on the site is wonderful. Yesterday was one month since my Inky died. I've been functioning and some days am fine, then some little thing will happen and I'm sad or crying out of nowhere. Yesterday and today I'm more of an emotional basket case, although I've been kind of biplolar, I've applied to a bunch of jobs online for hours and did a lot of productive computer stuff and even had some phone and email interview contact for next week. An hour later I see an email about a grief thread on here and I'm a mess.

Yesterday or the day before I swear I thought I saw and felt a cat jump off the bed from the corner of my eye. Only my dog and 2 remaining cats were in the bed with me. My one cat who my mom and I always used to joke could see spirits (turns out he's got great sight and is observant and notices the tiniest little bugs on the lights) was looking freaked with wild eyes. I guess it could have been a ghost visit from any of the 6 cats that have died in the past 2 years but because of the day I think it was Inky. I had a dream with him and Tigey my cat that died in October too. They seemed quiet and unsure but so beautiful and healthy.

I did do some positive things. I try to post on a couple of pet grief sites positive messages with helpful comforting things with what I've learned from my beloved pets over the years. And on Facebook the other day the ASPCA posted an article about "community cats", meaning ferals, and how to manage them safely and humanely. It advocated trap, neuter and return and feeding them in the wild and not killing or relocating or traumatizing them. That's all great, but the article was very vehement in saying that unless there were young kittens to never try to take them in as any kind of pet as they'd never become a pet and would never trust people. I've known many people in my years owning horses that made feral cats happy barn cats who eventually became pretty tame and even the ones who didn't were happy as barn cats. And I couldn't let a national animal society post on my Facebook page to never try to make a pet of a street cat when I've personally taken in and made successful loving pets of 3 adult street cats and 4 street kittens. And especially not betray Inky's memory in that way!
So I posted a comment on their page briefly mentioning my success with 7 street cats and kittens as indoor only pets, barn cat programs, and briefly telling Inky's dramatic transformation and encouraging people to take a chance on a feral cat, as the rewards of such dedication and hard work are more than worth winning such a courageous little heart. I wasn't sure if my comment woukd be deleted or I'd get a snarky response for challenging them. But they praised my writing and his story and thanked me for the touching anecdote. So I want to gradually do little things to have Inky inspire more people to give homes to cats or pets they'd normally never consider. I know not everyone is ready and willing, or experienced enough, or has a spare room to dedicate for a true feral cat. But to stretch oneself emotionally and take a chance on a stray or an older cat, or a shy dog or cat, or the wrong color, or one that's not what you're looking for but has a heart of gold deep down just waiting to bond and be brought out. That's his legacy. I could see from his wild days and his first days in the house when he was afraid of people how he instantly bonded with some of the other cats and peacefully coexisted with the others. With his beloved Mandy and best friend Fawn, he was as affectionate and loving as he became with me later. He always had a huge heart and capacity to love and express it. The miracle was that he could go from being wild to trusting and loving not just me but all people, even vets and techs who did unpleasant medical procedures, and forgive all of us for daily needlesticks and shots and surgeries and meds. And patiently tolerate it all and still purr and rub against people til the very last day.
My other pets still seem depressed, they're eating and drinking but none of them will play much. My dog will play a little if his dog friends make him but not much. My one cat now isolates and my Ruby's allergies are horrible and he's scratching himself til he's bleeding everywhere. I'm giving him benadryl but he hates oral liquids and drools it everywhere and hides. The injections he runs away in the middle of. At least inky didn't mind the injection. And neither help because Ruby's still scratching hopefully he gets allergy shots next week. But a month seems a long time for pets to still be depressed.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
inkysmom inkysmom , I think your reaction to the Humane Society post was marvelous, and a great way to memorialize Inky.

This tendency to burst into tears may continue for a while; certainly it does for me every time I lose someone, whether human or feline. You may find it helpful to set aside some daily time just for grieving; that's what seems to work best for me, anyway. When I'm not trying to deny my grief, but honoring it and giving it the time it needs, then it doesn't have to get my attention by ambushing me at awkward moments. (Yes, I know, that's anthropomorphizing an emotion, but my grief is part of me, and taking proper care of it is taking proper care of me. I'm expressing this badly. Think Inside Out.)

If your other animals were close to Inky then it's not at all surprising to me that they're still grieving. Just for starters, they may be unaware that Inky is dead, just that he's gone. It's hard to get over it when you're expecting the missing person in your life to come back home any day now. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to help them, except to let them see you grieving. That's one thing that may tell them Inky isn't coming home again, and if they try to comfort you they may be able to comfort themselves as well.

Deep sympathy for Ruby, but, unfortunately, no suggestions.

Margret

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Margret, I didn't expect any suggestions for Ruby. It was just a mention that I'm worried about my other pets grieving and they all have some issues themselves, his is just the worst and I think the grief and stress exacerbate it. His dermatologist seems very good and I can always start a post in the health section about allergy issues if I feel I need to.
Him and my dog were very close to Inky, the other cat Skye wasn't that close but was very loving to Inky the last few weeks and days when he saw how sick he was. They were both very close to and always competing for Mandy until she died over 2 years ago, and both were very devastated when I brought home her empty carrier without her in it. As was Ruby. They all got awful respiratory infections from stress after she died. Ruby and Skype consoled each other back then and Inky just fell apart healthwise and got very sick but eventually bonded with me. It took months to a year to get him medically healthy and stable and beautiful and shiny and a good weight and I was so proud that all the time and vet visits and twice daily shots and medicines had paid off.
He had very unstable diabetes and it took a while to get his insulin right, constant skin infections, dreadlocks and mats that had to be shaved because he couldn't groom his back and wouldn't let me touch him, diabetic neuropathy so couldn't really jump well or run but could hop and climb, his back legs were weak but his front claws were razor sharp and fast as lightning when I first started to try to tame and handle him. He would eat nonstop and his weight fluctuated from 10 pounds at first to 16 pounds, ideal weight was 12 to 14 pounds. He had stomatitis and had to have most of his teeth removed because they were just falling out. He kept a few sharp front ones to give me love bites with and an occasional nip with when I was finally able to cut his nails. He had otitis, chronic severe ear infections and always had thick black stuff in his ears. I was supposed to flush and clean them and put drops in them daily to twice a week. That's how I found out he had a couple of sharp front fangs left. And he had a mean right hook. And a mean left hook. And didn't retract his nails but kept them out full force because ear cleaning, and skin cleaning and any oral medications or nail trims were full out war! I wasn't allowed to give him tuna or yummy foods or treats because his diabetes was so unstable that he needed insulin and a special diet. And I had to give him insulin shots twice daily which he didn't seem to mind.
At first when his health got so bad. He would literally inhale four to six or more large bowls of water daily and pee through and soak a large filled kitty litter box by himself. I think he did like me always refilling his water and cleaning that always gross kitty litter. Gradually I kept praising him and sneaking in little massages while giving him his insulin and he slowly started staying with me and not racing away the minute I let go. The day he let me pet him and suddenly flopped over belly up and started purring and really enjoying letting me rub his belly I called all my friends and made such a gentle huge fuss over him. I think I cried too. And he looked kind of surprised.
I was proud as the vets who'd been looking at me so suspiciously for bringing in this awful looking untrusting wild panther cat gradually grew tamer and less aggressive and more healthy and stable.
Asthma? No treatment needed now. Diabetes? One stable dose for a year and blood sugar good. Stomatitis? Diseased teeth removed and healed. Teeth left in look ok. Skin clear and healthy. Diabetic neuropathy not an issue anymore, he was jumping the baby gate to get to the kitchen to ear the nondiabetic cat food and running and playing and chasing the other cats around. Otitis still a work in progress. But every day for the past 2 years I was thinking about, worried about and planning how I could manage the med and care doses and make this amazing little creature feel as good as possible.
But then he got cancer, which the vets said no its very rare in cats with otitis. And only 10% of cats has this type of cancer ever recur at all usually in 5 years. That would have been fine he woukd have been 19 or 20. But the dog said it came back, and he was right.
The dog is the only one who got to see Inky the last day before he was euthanized, and smelled him before and after he died. He knew something because usually be wants to visit and loved hanging out with his brother Inky, but then he sniffed once and kept trying to get away and was scared and upset.

My other 2 cats have seen empty carriers come home without their siblings 4 times now so I think have some idea what it m

Last edited:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Inkysmom. Sorry I have been away from this board for over a week. I hope things are a little better for you.