I Learned A New Lap Cat Creation Trick

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one year old Pip is very sweet and bonded, but a little skittish. She will run to the bedroom when I go up there, and likes to sit behind me on my chair. I've never been able to get her on the lap though. Part of it might be that because of the pandemic, I spend some mornings in boxers and that makes the lap uncomfortable for all (lol I know) but it seems like its more than that. My other cat is a lap lover, even better if you have a blanket on you, but not required. But that only makes sense because he loves to knead and suckle blankets, something Pippy is very much not focused on. So imagine my shock when I was cold recently and used a blanket, and yep, next thing you know I had a lap cat. Is this something that is helpful for lap-resistant cats generally, or an ideosyncracy of Pip?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used blankets, but my great trick for turning my cat into a lap cat was getting pregnant! :lol: Two and a half years of mostly refusing to get on my lap, and now she's there multiple times a day!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby will do anything to avoid bare legs - with me she just crawls up on my chest/trunk when I have shorts on. She literally tries to avoid my husband's lap when he has shorts on. But, let him put on long pants/sweats or cover his legs with a blanket, and she is right there on his lap! As a result, he doesn't get to sit with her much in the summer time!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby's a total lap cat, however, she definitely prefers when I have a throw on my lap. She will lay on my lap when I'm wearing jeans or sweat pants, but in the summer time, when I'm wearing shorts, she'll only stay on my lap a short while, before leaving.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Blankets will always do the trick. They jump on my lap whenever I put one down. I bought a set on Amazon. So worth it. Then I pull out my brush. Major purring and kneading. It reminds me to get her claws trimmed. She sleeps above me and snores in my ear then meows while asleep! No need to buy expensive beds

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've recently started trying to convert Simon to a lapcat as well, to varying degrees of success. I'll pet him pretty much constantly - as soon as he lays down and starts to doze, and then my hands are free to do whatever. I do cover my legs with a light blanket, as he has a tendency of walking through his dirty litter and getting it stuck to his paws which I would prefer to not have all over my legs (also his claws are SHARP, even after they've just been trimmed)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't seem to care whether I have a blanket or not. Gracie and Waffles are my lappies, Moo and Ziggy are lay-beside-human cats- not much in to laps but love snuggles beside me.