I know why my cats were getting sick on Fancy Feast ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats had always eaten FF Classic with no issues then it seemed like

all of the sudden they started having problems with it  . My male having diarrhea and female vomiting .. 

It all started when I decided to go 100% wet  .  I was giving each cat  a full can / water added twice a day .. 

I think it was too rich for them ..  For the past few days  I have been giving each cat  a 1/2 can FF  & 1/2 can of water added twice a day and no more problems . I just sprinkle  an 1/8 cup of kibble on top of each meal  and they eat it up ..

So they are  each still getting 6 oz  of wet per day just a little diluted . 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How slow did you make the transition to 100% wet before? Is it possible that if you went really really gradually up from the 6oz each that they'd be able to tolerate all wet?

Don't get me wrong - its great that you worked out what had happened. It's just that I know how hard you worked to get them onto wet, and how disappointing it was when you had to backtrack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What flavor were they eating?
They were eating  chicken , chicken & liver , turkey & giblets , ocean whitefish & tuna .

Now they are just eating the chicken ,  turkey & giblets .. So  I am feeding no more fish and making sure it is diluted with water . They are doing fine now ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How slow did you make the transition to 100% wet before? Is it possible that if you went really really gradually up from the 6oz each that they'd be able to tolerate all wet?

Don't get me wrong - its great that you worked out what had happened. It's just that I know how hard you worked to get them onto wet, and how disappointing it was when you had to backtrack.
Thank you . Yeah I was disappointed but they are eating 6 oz of wet still and I don't mind giving them a little kibble if that is what is works .. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you . Yeah I was disappointed but they are eating 6 oz of wet still and I don't mind giving them a little kibble if that is what is works .. 
Absolutely. :nod: 6oz of wet is a whole lot better than all dry. My old boy eats a bit of dry too...despite my best efforts to wean him off it. I've ended up with one cat who eats the diet I'm happy to feed and one cat who's a resolute junk food junkie :lol3: (though I have just found an all meat canned food he likes :D We'll just have to see how long it lasts...)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They were eating  chicken , chicken & liver , turkey & giblets , ocean whitefish & tuna .

Now they are just eating the chicken ,  turkey & giblets .. So  I am feeding no more fish and making sure it is diluted with water . They are doing fine now ..
Maybe it was the fish? In any case, I'm glad they're eating the Fancy Feast and nobody's barfing -- that's great news!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe it was the fish? In any case, I'm glad they're eating the Fancy Feast and nobody's barfing -- that's great news!
Thank you , yeah I am thinking it was the fish as well . However they are doing well now so I am happy with that ..  At least they are getting plenty of moisture in their diet ..

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear their tummies are settled and they are eating the canned food. I agree it may have been the fish.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes their digestive tracts will get off kilter if we try to make the all wet transition too quickly. When I did that, I fed one half wet and one half dry, slowly decreasing the dry over a number of days. It worked.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. :nod: 6oz of wet is a whole lot better than all dry. My old boy eats a bit of dry too...despite my best efforts to wean him off it. I've ended up with one cat who eats the diet I'm happy to feed and one cat who's a resolute junk food junkie :lol3: (though I have just found an all meat canned food he likes :D We'll just have to see how long it lasts...)
Which wet food dies he like currently?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thrive Complete. Expensive, but it's the first food he's loved that is grain free. So...If he'll eat it I'm happy :nod: He even likes 2 of the chicken ones - even better :D

(Previously he'd only eat gourmet Mon petit and sheba fine flakes -both gravy based, and sometimes whiskas grilled or oh so fishy/meaty. He'll also eat almo nature sachets, but only the tuna/chicken one and it's not complete. Hate feeding fish to an flutd cat, but better that than nothing at all. :sigh: )

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its better than dry. 
 Maybe add a little extra water in the food?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No - if the food is watery he rejects it :argh: He doesn't eat very much dry, so I'm not too worried. The labrador eats way more of the s/o kibble than Shad does :rolleyes: Besides, he blocked once about 10 years ago. He's 13 now. We've never had a repeat, and his urine output is copious :lol3: I figure that we've found the right balance for him...at least so far :cross: ;)

kamitchell6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 19 1/2 year old will only eat Fancy Feast classic (pate style - will only lick gravy off the shredded or chunked kinds). She will always vomit if given the flavor Cod, Sole and Shrimp. Must be something in that flavor that doesn't agree with her.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 19 1/2 year old will only eat Fancy Feast classic (pate style - will only lick gravy off the shredded or chunked kinds). She will always vomit if given the flavor Cod, Sole and Shrimp. Must be something in that flavor that doesn't agree with her.
Must be  .. Mine are doing fine now..  I am buying just three flavors .  Turkey & Giblets , Chicken & Liver , Chicken ..  They each get a 1/2 can with almost a full can of hot water added and 1/8 cup kibble on top twice a day .. They are strange but this is how they like it ..  At least they are getting lots of water ..

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Must be  .. Mine are doing fine now..  I am buying just three flavors .  Turkey & Giblets , Chicken & Liver , Chicken ..  They each get a 1/2 can with almost a full can of hot water added and 1/8 cup kibble on top twice a day .. They are strange but this is how they like it ..  At least they are getting lots of water ..
Try chopped grill classic pate also no fish in it, my cats always liked that one with green label

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try chopped grill classic pate also no fish in it, my cats always liked that one with green label
Our previous cat loved Fancy Feast Classics, and chopped grill was one of her favorites.

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Must be  .. Mine are doing fine now..  I am buying just three flavors .jack gets friskies. Indoor and ff and other misc wet goods no grains. He eats a little dry rabbit grain and aditive free dry food  Turkey & Giblets , Chicken & Liver , Chicken ..  They each get a 1/2 can with almost a full can of hot water added and 1/8 cup kibble on top twice a day .. They are strange but this is how they like it ..  At least they are getting lots of water ..
Jack is 6 yrs old. I give him friskes indoor & reg friskies al also FF and grain free and rabbit dry food. How much wet food should he get every day and how often? He is ragdoll and 16 lbs. He doesnt like it really soupy but i make more gravey by adding some water. How often and how much wet? The friskies are 5.5 oz cans. Ff 3 oz