I know she's a cute little moggy, but what is she pretending to be?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little Miss Rain here is trying so hard to pass herself off as something other than the Domestic Medium Hair that she actually is. What breed do y'all think she's pretending to be? In good light, her eyes are golden yellow to amber with green flecks and shading. Yet at times, they get a greenish cast (not the reflective glow from the iris, at night). The camera doesn't do it justice!

I see an attempt at Nebelung but the eyes are too orange and her fur is still too short and wispy, or Russian Blue but the head isn't quite right and the fur's too short for a Nebby. But, Nebbies are described as having slender legs and she definitely has that. Then again, I see the blue of a classic British Short Hair, but wrong body and face and the coat's a bit too feathery for that of course. So, definitely NOT a BSH impostor! I see her trying to fake the feathery tail of the Nebelung, but her coat is still just a bit thin and short.

What breed traits and characteristics do you see in this little sweet DMH moggy girl? She is 4 months old today, so her coat and maybe her eyes could change a little more! (Getting spayed tomorrow morning, BTW!)

20191020_155110-1.jpg

20191020_152202.jpg

20190915_070428.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Her fur is interesting, too. It seems to shimmer and change color in the light... at one moment, she looks pewter-gray, and at another moment she shifts to platinum-silver, then to a very distinct blue-gray. And OH so soft! She just got another bath today and after baths, I just want to bury myself in her rabbit soft coat. Her medicated shampoo smells so good, too (chlorhexidine and miconazole), not medicinal at all... so she's so soft and sweet, and those sandpaper kisses are the best... she was a shelter rescue, I posted her story in "The Cat's Meow" (okay a Mod moved it for me, LOL!)… she got very sick and recovered and now she's being spayed tomorrow morning. So, she's a classy kitten, and an impostor of some fancy breed... I just wanted opinions on who she seems to be faking, LOL!!

I'm thinking a "Faux Nebelung"...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a gorgeous kitten! I would describe her as a blue domestic longhair. I'm not seeing a strong resemblance to any breed... and really, she doesn't need to have a lookalike label of any breed to be beautiful and special. Domestic longhairs can be just as pretty and "fancy" as any breed :)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
She's adorable! Definitely lighter boned and more dainty than my own moggy, who gets called a "Russian Blue" too much for me to have fun parodying the questions I get asked about my dogs (they're chihuahua mixes to me; don't even get me going on discarded designer dogs and portmanteau names for them) but I think that's just the fate of all blue moggies.

I'd call her a DSH, personally. I had a pair of kittens with that length of fur before who I was SURE would grow up to be longhairs. Koala disappeared after impregnating his sister, but Wallaby lived a good long life after getting an adult coat that was just like all my other moggies.

I've had a red Aby and a Burmese, come to love and appreciate Sphynx, Ragdoll, and Bengal breeds, but DSH really are "my" breed and seem to bond closer and have fewer issues when life doesn't go the way we might have wanted or expected.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call her a DSH, personally. I had a pair of kittens with that length of fur before who I was SURE would grow up to be longhairs. Koala disappeared after impregnating his sister, but Wallaby lived a good long life after getting an adult coat that was just like all my other moggies.
Kittens' coat lengths can be ambiguous when they are young, and I agree that most of these pictures don't look obvious one way or the other... but in this particular case, the tail in the first picture is what makes it clear this kitten is a longhair. Shorthair kittens don't have plume tails like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was spayed today, and the vet just called to tell me that she did great. She's coming home later this afternoon. We opted for the sevofluorane and gentle pre-sedative because she's just a kitten (and I like sevo better than isofluorane, anyhow). The hard part will be keeping her from running around the house and wrestling with her "Uncle Schrodie" for the next week-- this is a very high energy little girl! :dizzycat: