I just want my cats to get along

NMillis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I brought home a 9 month old female cat from the shelter because i thought my 6 year old male cat was lonely. He loves to play and i figured he would love a companion. We were told when we adopted her that she was great with other cats but she hadn’t gotten along with our male cat. We brought her home in July and she was scared of everything. She’s been coming around to me and my bf but not our male cat so last month we decided to stack baby gates. In the beginning she still didn’t understand that he couldn’t get in but now she’s been coming up to the gate. I took her to the vet and they told us she’s semi feral and calming supplements should help. Well she hates the taste of them even when i try to hide them in her food. The other day both cats touched noses through the gates so today we tried to reintroduce them and she hisses and runs away and hides. The male cat just wants to play but she swats and growls when he approaches. Is there anything else we can try?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sure, there are lots of other things you can try.

Cat introductions can take ages. You just have to let the cats take things at their own pace and be prepared to take steps backward if it seems that things aren't working out well.

There's lots of information in these articles.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

I've found Feliway diffusers to be quite helpful.

Don't try to get the two of them to face each other yet, as that can be intimidating for the more nervous cat. Work on getting her to eat or just sit quietly while the male cat is in her sight. You could try playing with the male and keeping him distracted while she eats. Another thing that might work is one of you sitting and petting her while the other plays with the male on the other side of the baby gates. Just getting her to relax while she can see him is a great first step.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other day both cats touched noses through the gates
Hi
The guiding key here is that introductions can go only as fast as the slowest cat is willing to.

That they touched noses is unbelievably huge for her. I don't know that she's semi feral, I personally think, as mentioned above, that she's just very shy. There are a lot of other types and styles of calming products on the market.

Give her more time.

This could help as well;

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Biggest tip of all, and you've heard it here, above! Do not rush. Let them have several days of approaching each other through the barrier. Time and patience are your best friends.