I just lost my beloved cat….

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s 2AM I just got home from putting my cat to sleep. He started blocking about 3 years ago. After 3 blocks I had him have pu surgery in November 2019. He was good for about a year and then had a few UTI’s. We got those cleared up, but tonight he wouldn’t let me touch him, which is what happens when he blocks because he is in so much pain. So I took him to the evet and they couldn’t express his bladder. We had 9 wonderful years. I bottle fed him from the time he was 1 day old. I still have his brother and sister. I wish he had been healthier, he had terrible IBD starting when he was about 1 year old, but we got that under control. I still don’t know if I did the right thing, but I just couldn’t put him through more catheritizations. I’m so sad. They gave me a little cardboard coffin to take him home in.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Yes, you did the right thing. I think you did the only thing. The two of you fought for his life, side-by-side, for his entire life. He loved and loves you beyond measure, and always will. This is what I know, love never dies, it only changes form and goes on, still Love. And Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides. That part of him which was love, now translated and purified into Love, is with you still, and will walk with you down through all your days. While that does not mean we do not desperately miss that sweet physical form, we do, it does mean that when you are ready, he will comfort you. Always. Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I keep apologizing to him; I suppose that is always the hell of making these decisions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did absolutely nothing wrong....you could not let the suffering go on. You tried everything, his life was extended because of your love and care. The bond you have with that precious boy is spiritual, so eternal.
The hole in your heart will heal in time, not completely, it always leaves a scar. The intense emotions you are feeling now cannot be sustained forever, eventually, time will dull the sharp edges.
To leave him a beautiful tribute, to let others share your pain, is an honor to his memory. He will continue to send his love for as long as you are alive. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers.
My heart is with you, it helps for someone to acknowledge your pain, to share it to help it become a little lighter. Please know we will think of and pray for your little boy, it is only right for such a strong little fighter. May God give you the strength to go on, he is at peace because he has your love.....RIP sweet boy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much. I keep apologizing to him; I suppose that is always the hell of making these decisions.
Yes, it's an awful feeling to make that decision. But you did the kindest, most loving thing you could have for him. He isn't in pain any more. Rest in peace, little man. :rbheart:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. It is the hardest decision but you set him free. You loved him enough to make the selfless decision for him rather than to keep him here for yourself. That is real love. My heart is with you.