I just got my christmas Tree yesterday....

joehandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my Christmas tree yesterday. 7 1/2 ft. Frasier Fir.  Are Frasier Firs poisonous to cats?  My little girls are really loving this tree and I need to know. Thank you so much for any answers you can give me...

Thanks...

Joey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joehandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please. Somebody help me with this?? I'm terrified of harming my babies...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The needles can be harmful to the intestinal tract if eaten, and I believe the oils can cause GI upset as well. The tree may also have been sprayed with chemicals which are bad for cats.

Also do not allow them to drink the tree water, it can contain pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals that are hazardous. What I usually do is use the mesh they usually put around the tree when you buy it and wrap that around the tree stand so they can't access the water.

I also take oranges, cut some slits in them and place them around the bottom/underneath the tree. Most cats don't like the smell of citrus and this discourages them from hanging around the tree too much. Although my current cats pretty much just ignore the tree.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are climbing the tree, no harm but also agree on keeping them from drinking the water. For reasons unknown to the universe, that water is always tempting to cats. Can't get them to drink fresh clean water, but put a tree in it and suddenly it is the gourmet water of the year.

Get some wheat grass at the grocery store (usually in the organic veggies section) and that will give kitties something to chomp on in case the needles also smell delightful to them.

My cats just like to nap underneath the tree. They get very excited when we are setting up the tree and immediately want to hang out underneath it. Jungle cat wannabes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joehandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raintyger, mine does pretty much the same thing. EVERY once in a while a piece might fall off then off they go but I always make sure to find the piece of tree to get it put in the trash.

I appreciate ALL the responses because each one helped help me gain some knowledge of what I'm dealing with now. Under NO circumstances would I have allowed then to drink the water because at the tree farm I purchased this tiny bottle of tree preservative but I've got one of those plastic tree wrap up things you put on the stand before the tree, makes clean up much easier when Christmas is over. Also, they don't really eat the pieces of the tree, they like batting them around of the floor. I'll try to get a pic of them doing their "frolicking under the tree" bit. It's quite adorable!  Again, I really appreciate all the responses. You guys are a very wise bunch.

Thanks again...

Joey