i jumped from a chair and cat saw it as threat and now scared of me :(

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was taking something on the upper part of my cupboard on a chair. Rivel was around just chilling and i jumped and she seemed to be shocked by the noise i made and sudden earthquake (i am a big man haya) now she's hiding under the bed again. A behavior that she hasn't done since last week as she's more confident now.

During lunch i managed to persuade her to get out and eat, but after that i tried to pet her and she just staggered upon seeing my hand reaching out and escaped under the bed again. I let her there for now but i feel really bad :(

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her for? It takes time for cats to adjust - they just need to learn that you are not a threat. It sounds like you are on the right track. My husband and I had to learn this with our cat - I frantically looked online to see if I had permanently traumatized my cat by accidentally stepping on her tail (my husband has also accidentally fully got on her while she was under the bed covers) and she has forgiven us for all those instances. I know it's hard but she will forgive you eventually. If she came out to eat when you coaxed her, I think that's a good sign that it won't be long!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her for? It takes time for cats to adjust - they just need to learn that you are not a threat. It sounds like you are on the right track. My husband and I had to learn this with our cat - I frantically looked online to see if I had permanently traumatized my cat by accidentally stepping on her tail (my husband has also accidentally fully got on her while she was under the bed covers) and she has forgiven us for all those instances. I know it's hard but she will forgive you eventually. If she came out to eat when you coaxed her, I think that's a good sign that it won't be long!
only a few weeks.