I haven’t been a good care taker

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has gain some weight and not as active as she used to be. She weighs a bit over 11 pound but her ideal weight is 9. I tried playing with her more but she only wants to play for about 5-10 minutes a session and only two session a day, where as before she would play all day if she could. I am worried because I think that it could be my fault, because this few years I haven’t been able to play with her as much or somedays not at all since I’ve been having pain issues and went through some hardship. Also she hasn’t seen a vet since covid started, but last week I was able to take her to petco for her vaccines, hopefully next year I can take her to her old vet again since they didn't do a check up at petco. I want to start my cat on schedule feeding to hopefully make her lose the weight, but I don’t know where to start. she is 7 years old and her feeding schedule has always been a scoop of kibble in the morning (she is on orijen guardian 8) and half or sometimes 1/3 of a 5oz can at night. The problem is that she never finish her food in one sitting so I was hoping someone will give me some advice on how to slowly decrease her weight and increase her activity level. I’ve been pretty busy since major changes are happening in my life right now but whenever I see her sleep/laying down all day I feel like I’ve been a horrible parent to her and that she doesn’t deserve that type of life. I have been improving my own life so I want to make it right for her. I was thinking of getting another cat her age but my apartment isn't the biggest, but hopefully when I move to a bigger place next year I will be able to get her a friend. As for now I am also trying to harness train her so we can go on walks. Also do you have any recommendations for flee and tick prevention? Petco gave me a prescription for Selamectin 60mg + Sarolaner 10mg I don't know if it’s any good or not.

Sorry for making it long. I have been feeling so guilty that I needed to write everything I was concerned about and hopefully get some help.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't beat up yourself too much. If you can get her interactive toys its better, but if there are any financial difficulties do not stress yourself. Crumpled paper will do. My cats prefer those from real actual cat toys.

Your cat is 7 years old. Maybe she does not really want to play like before. Mine is the same age and she prefers to watch the birds and other cats outside. Once in a while she plays, but most times just lounging around.

Yes, try to bring her to the vet for check up and to address her weight gain. The vet will tell you what to do.

You are doing great.

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What matters most is that you want to get her back on track and all of the ideas you've listed sound great!

Agreed with the above about toys - sometimes I feel like my cat enjoys playing with garbage (paper towel tubes, cardboard boxes, paper bags) more than actual toys. Also yes, interactive toys are best! It's good to have a variety of different toys, hide some of them, and take just a few out at a time so you can switch them out when your cat gets bored of them.

I'm not super knowledgeable about these, but there are different weight-loss diets for all types of food which you can maybe try. If she's not eating all her food in one sitting, that may be a sign that it's more than she needs - depending on your morning schedule, are you able to take the leftover food away after she's done eating? Alternatively, there are automatic meal dispensers for dry food that can release a set amount of food at a time throughout the day, but these can be expensive.

For flea/tick/worm prevention, I'm using Revolution Plus as recommended by a vet and it seems pretty good, I like that it protects against a variety of parasites.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe me we've all been distracted by life at one time or another. Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. Your getting this sorted so don't beat yourself up about it. Like others have said that's the main thing. Mine are the same as Maria Bayote Maria Bayote cat's they love bits of paper to chase and rip up. You said your cat is 7 now maybe you could switch to a senior cat food, a lot are from 7 years old. Cat's need less calories as they age because they slow down. Senior food has less calories and in the UK is about the same price. It might help her lose weight without having to cut her intake. As for flea treatment I use Advantage you can get it online without prescription. It works well on my two boys. I use a mutie wormer separately never had any problems using spot ons or tablets for worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't beat up yourself too much. If you can get her interactive toys its better, but if there are any financial difficulties do not stress yourself. Crumpled paper will do. My cats prefer those from real actual cat toys.

Your cat is 7 years old. Maybe she does not really want to play like before. Mine is the same age and she prefers to watch the birds and other cats outside. Once in a while she plays, but most times just lounging around.

Yes, try to bring her to the vet for check up and to address her weight gain. The vet will tell you what to do.

You are doing great.
My cat also also loves watching the birds and people from the balcony for hours. Yes, I’ll probably call her old vet for an appointment soon and get her a check up, as for her toys, she doesn’t seem to be interested in her toys for long but I’ll keep looking for one she might like.

Thank you, your words are very reassuring.

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What matters most is that you want to get her back on track and all of the ideas you've listed sound great!

Agreed with the above about toys - sometimes I feel like my cat enjoys playing with garbage (paper towel tubes, cardboard boxes, paper bags) more than actual toys. Also yes, interactive toys are best! It's good to have a variety of different toys, hide some of them, and take just a few out at a time so you can switch them out when your cat gets bored of them.

I'm not super knowledgeable about these, but there are different weight-loss diets for all types of food which you can maybe try. If she's not eating all her food in one sitting, that may be a sign that it's more than she needs - depending on your morning schedule, are you able to take the leftover food away after she's done eating? Alternatively, there are automatic meal dispensers for dry food that can release a set amount of food at a time throughout the day, but these can be expensive.

For flea/tick/worm prevention, I'm using Revolution Plus as recommended by a vet and it seems pretty good, I like that it protects against a variety of parasites.
Thank you for all your advice. The one item in this world that my cat goes crazy for is yarn, I rarely let her play with them much because she will try to eat them. Her second favorite item would be a cardboard box. I would buy her lots of toys thinking that she would love them only for her to enjoy the box the toy came in then the toy itself lol.

I plan on taking her to her old old vet soon so maybe that she can give me an idea or recommendation on how to get her on a diet. For the schedule feeding, I really like your idea on using a automated feeder, but I’ve been reading that giving her wet food only might make her lose weight, so that’s what I planned on doing from now on, I know that it probably is healthier for her as well.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try a slow feeder like the one below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TVP8ZY7/?tag=

It will take her longer to eat her food and maybe amuse her. As she's not as active, cut down a little on the kibble, just a small amount.

As suggested above, balls of paper cost nothing, small balls of kitchen foil or a length of wool or cord with a feather tied to the end that you could drag on the floor might get her playing.

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Believe me we've all been distracted by life at one time or another. Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. Your getting this sorted so don't beat yourself up about it. Like others have said that's the main thing. Mine are the same as Maria Bayote Maria Bayote cat's they love bits of paper to chase and rip up. You said your cat is 7 now maybe you could switch to a senior cat food, a lot are from 7 years old. Cat's need less calories as they age because they slow down. Senior food has less calories and in the UK is about the same price. It might help her lose weight without having to cut her intake. As for flea treatment I use Advantage you can get it online without prescription. It works well on my two boys. I use a mutie wormer separately never had any problems using spot ons or tablets for worms.
Thank you, everyone's words on here have meant a lot to me. Wow, I can't believe she can be fed senior food already, it's kinda sad to know that she is already a senior. I'll definitely look at Advantage, what multie wormer do you use?

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try a slow feeder like the one below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TVP8ZY7/?tag=

It will take her longer to eat her food and maybe amuse her. As she's not as active, cut down a little on the kibble, just a small amount.

As suggested above, balls of paper cost nothing, small balls of kitchen foil or a length of wool or cord with a feather tied to the end that you could drag on the floor might get her playing.
Thank you, that sounds like a great idea but I plan on cutting kibble off and using wet food only, would something like that work for wet food?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont see why not, means more licking by your cat. I mix a small amount of kibble with the wet, seems to satisfy my cat.
You could also try throwing kibble from her daily amount, a piece at a time around the room for her to run after and eat, will increase the exercise and she might see it as a game.

Last edited:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when we are overwhelmed with changes in our lives we feel like we have neglected our cats. From what I’ve read, you’re doing your best for her. Just a few missed playtime doesn’t make your a bad care taker. My cat is 5.5kg and is kinda lazy too. It’s like lifting a bag of rice haha. When I play strings or Da Bird with her, she doesn’t chase after it. She will try to pounce/catch it ONLY if it’s within her reach :D. The only time I see her running is when the other skinny active cat chases her around. As for toys, I rarely buy them because my cats are easily entertained with balls of paper, the measuring tape, straws or boxes. Try different things to see which one she likes. Cats don’t care for expensive toys. You are everything to her. Playing with your cat 5-10minutes a day is really good stimulation for her too.

I use either Frontline Spot On or Advantage for flea control. As for food, you could cut down if you feel your current amount is too much. Also agree to change her food according to her age. It’ll be great to schedule a checkup for her just to be sure she’s healthy.

I wish you all the wonderful things in life everyday. You’ll be alright:redheartpump:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone's words on here have meant a lot to me. Wow, I can't believe she can be fed senior food already, it's kinda sad to know that she is already a senior. I'll definitely look at Advantage, what multie wormer do you use?
I normally use beaphar mutiwormer tablets but I have used drontal spot on. Both work fine.

Kodaoo7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes when we are overwhelmed with changes in our lives we feel like we have neglected our cats. From what I’ve read, you’re doing your best for her. Just a few missed playtime doesn’t make your a bad care taker. My cat is 5.5kg and is kinda lazy too. It’s like lifting a bag of rice haha. When I play strings or Da Bird with her, she doesn’t chase after it. She will try to pounce/catch it ONLY if it’s within her reach :D. The only time I see her running is when the other skinny active cat chases her around. As for toys, I rarely buy them because my cats are easily entertained with balls of paper, the measuring tape, straws or boxes. Try different things to see which one she likes. Cats don’t care for expensive toys. You are everything to her. Playing with your cat 5-10minutes a day is really good stimulation for her too.

I use either Frontline Spot On or Advantage for flea control. As for food, you could cut down if you feel your current amount is too much. Also agree to change her food according to her age. It’ll be great to schedule a checkup for her just to be sure she’s healthy.

I wish you all the wonderful things in life everyday. You’ll be alright:redheartpump:
Thank you for saying that, it really made me feel better. I called her vet today and made an appointment for next Saturday so cross my fingers and hope she is healthy.

I wish you all the wonderful things in life as well!:redheartpump: