I Have to Rehome My Cat

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a few other threads about this. If someone can merge them so other people know what I’m talking about that would be great. I am so upset. My cat Smoothie suddenly attacked our other cat Midnight last year in July. It was awful. It was for no reason. We went to the vet. They said her hormones were out of whack. We got her fixed. That was in September. She slowly got better. She was now back to her old self. Our daughter is 5 months old. Smoothie loves rubbing on her. She purrs as soon as you pick her up. She seemed like she was when she was a small kitty. I was excited because we were finally going to get Midnight and her back together after 10 months.
My husband got up to leave his work office, and when he opened the door, she stepped back. He looked to make sure Midnight wasn’t near the door, and that’s when Smoothie hissed at him. He then looked back at her, and Smoothie attacked him like crazy. He has scratches all over him, he is bleeding like crazy. Midnight came and actually saved my husband. Midnight came and stood in the door and actually wasn’t going to act until he saw and heard Smoothie. He knocked her off of him, and then ran back out the door.

This is the last straw. I am so sad.I can’t let her attack our daughter like that. What do I do? I’m almost positive no one is going to take her since she randomly attacks us like she is feral. She attacked me twice while I was pregnant, and attacked my husband once while I was pregnant. Now this is the second time she’s attacked him. There’s nothing no else we can do for her. We had her fixed. The vet said she is perfectly healthy. Do we take her to the pound. I am freaking out. I’ve had her since 3 weeks. I bottle fed her. She would’ve died if I hadn’t started taking care of her. I love her so much. I don’t want to get rid of her, she is part of our family. I just can’t. We have to do what’s best for our daughter.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry!!
I have read where sometimes in situations similar to this, when the cat is fostered in a different household it was able to find its balance and calm down.

Have you been able to sterilize the bites on him? Hydrogen Peroxide, or even soapy water.
This is from one of the Cat Site articles;
  1. Thoroughly wash the wound with soap and warm water. This should be done as soon as possible. You may not be able to kill off all of the bacteria, but the more of them you remove, the easier it will be for your body to fight off infection.
  2. Seek medical attention if the wound is deep. Your healthcare provider may decide to start you on a course of antibiotics to prevent infection from developing.
  3. Carefully monitor the wound. If it becomes red, painful, swollen or warm to the touch, seek immediate medical attention. Infections can progress within hours, so do not delay treatment.
  4. Get a Tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last 5 years.
These are your previous threads;

Cat Behavior/Hormones still hasn’t changed.

Does Feliway really work?

HELP ASAP!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!!
I have read where sometimes in situations similar to this, when the cat is fostered in a different household it was able to find its balance and calm down.

Have you been able to sterilize the bites on him? Hydrogen Peroxide, or even soapy water.
This is from one of the Cat Site articles;
  1. Thoroughly wash the wound with soap and warm water. This should be done as soon as possible. You may not be able to kill off all of the bacteria, but the more of them you remove, the easier it will be for your body to fight off infection.
  2. Seek medical attention if the wound is deep. Your healthcare provider may decide to start you on a course of antibiotics to prevent infection from developing.
  3. Carefully monitor the wound. If it becomes red, painful, swollen or warm to the touch, seek immediate medical attention. Infections can progress within hours, so do not delay treatment.
  4. Get a Tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last 5 years.
These are your previous threads;

Cat Behavior/Hormones still hasn’t changed.

Does Feliway really work?

HELP ASAP!!
Thank you so much! I am about to help him clean the wounds. I am going to contact the animal shelter and see if someone will foster her, but I’m pretty sure our community one decides that. :( We have a no kill cat shelter, but all of the cats are housed together which will be impossible for her.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly can’t believe that this has happened again. I thought we were so close to being back to normal. I am heartbroken.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am terrified to go in the room with her. She doesn’t seem as mad, but she still seems on edge. I don’t know what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are local rescue centers/groups that are different from shelters. Don't know where you are located but you could search the internet for local rescue groups, as well as appeal to web sites like Next Door Neighbor, to ask about re-homing possibilities and fostering set ups, as long as you are willing to share all the details so that they know up front what you are dealing with. If you find some contacts, they could actually meet Smoothie and vet/assess her. You may just have an environment that is too unsettling for her demeanor/personality.

You could also consider having a specialty group (internal medicine, neurology) exam her, they may be able to suggest other testing than what a normal vet would think to do, especially in the arena of hormonal imbalances. It could be possible that she needs some medications such as Prozac to help with her up and down behaviors.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you sing to her, go in the room a little ways and crouch so you're not standing over her, and see if she relaxes? This hopefully gives you a means of entering the room. On the other hand I've read having a big piece of cardboard that you can have between you and an upset cat can go a ways towards keeping you safe.

Last edited:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have contacted someone in hopes of fostering her. We have been dealing with this for almost a year, and the vets have said nothing is wrong with her besides her hormone problem. I 100% agree that she probably needs on prozac, or some kinda other medication. That’s what I thought when this first happened, but they said she shouldn’t need anything like that. However, we can see that’s wrong. We’re about to move out of state in a few weeks, I’m trying to balance cleaning the house and taking care of our daughter, and my husband is the only one working. The truth is that we can’t afford to run a bunch of tests on her. She really is such a doll baby, and I hate this for us and her. She is our baby. It isn’t fair that this happened.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart is beating out of my chest. I came in the room and she went out. I closed the door because she looked mad. I’m scared of coming back out now. This isn’t normal to feel like this. It is terrifying.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my god, I am locked in the office. My husband is in the bedroom with the baby. For 30 minutes, we were locked in our own house. She tried to attack me. My husbands grandpa is havi mg to come so I can throw the keys out the window so he can try to get her. Oh my god

larissam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H
I have a few other threads about this. If someone can merge them so other people know what I’m talking about that would be great. I am so upset. My cat Smoothie suddenly attacked our other cat Midnight last year in July. It was awful. It was for no reason. We went to the vet. They said her hormones were out of whack. We got her fixed. That was in September. She slowly got better. She was now back to her old self. Our daughter is 5 months old. Smoothie loves rubbing on her. She purrs as soon as you pick her up. She seemed like she was when she was a small kitty. I was excited because we were finally going to get Midnight and her back together after 10 months.
My husband got up to leave his work office, and when he opened the door, she stepped back. He looked to make sure Midnight wasn’t near the door, and that’s when Smoothie hissed at him. He then looked back at her, and Smoothie attacked him like crazy. He has scratches all over him, he is bleeding like crazy. Midnight came and actually saved my husband. Midnight came and stood in the door and actually wasn’t going to act until he saw and heard Smoothie. He knocked her off of him, and then ran back out the door.

This is the last straw. I am so sad.I can’t let her attack our daughter like that. What do I do? I’m almost positive no one is going to take her since she randomly attacks us like she is feral. She attacked me twice while I was pregnant, and attacked my husband once while I was pregnant. Now this is the second time she’s attacked him. There’s nothing no else we can do for her. We had her fixed. The vet said she is perfectly healthy. Do we take her to the pound. I am freaking out. I’ve had her since 3 weeks. I bottle fed her. She would’ve died if I hadn’t started taking care of her. I love her so much. I don’t want to get rid of her, she is part of our family. I just can’t. We have to do what’s best for our daughter.
Hello! I am so sorry for your situation, it seems like something really hard to deal with.

Have you tried cbd oil? Or cbd treats? I had a cat with feline hyperesthesia that would have these crazy aggression bursts, it became ANOTHER cat after a vet recommended CBD oil mixed in wet food every 12 hours. It took some time to find an oil that the cat wouldn't reject, but it was sooo worth it after everything was settled!

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie went outside. We are going to try and trap her. Almost a year later and our aggressive cat journey has came to a sudden and extremely upsetting end. I am in shock. She was just fine earlier. I cannot and will not risk our baby getting attacked like that. I was scared for my life. I could not leave the room because she wanted to attack me. I miss her. I love her. I have been in contact with our humane society lady. She told me that she hopes the trap will work, and that animal control will take over if we do catch her. I have been told that animal control will most likely euthanize her if/when they get her. Our rescue will not take her since she attacked my husband so viciously, and how long this has been going on.

Oh, we are living a real nightmare. I don’t know why this happened. We tried so hard for it to work. We tried so hard to keep her. We’re getting ready to move in a month, and we were going to see how she was going to do in a new environment. Why did this happen? She is such a beautiful, sweet, and amazing cat. She literally went “crazy”. My poor sweet, Smoothie. My poor little baby. I am heartbroken.

Attachments

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I can't believe things happened like this. Gosh I'm sorry!
If she comes back and I’m able to trap her, what in the world should I do? Take her to the vet? Take her to the animal shelter? We can’t keep her unless there’s a sudden change and guarantee she won’t attack us again. No one is willing to foster her. I didn’t want her to go outside. I wanted to keep her in here until we found her a home possibly, but I couldn’t even leave the dang room. It was so scary. I can’t help but feel like maybe there’s was something I could have done besides my husbands grandpa having to come open the front door to let her out. My poor little cat baby. I’m shocked. I’m stunned. I’m so mad. I’m so sad. I want to scream, I want to cry. She was doing so good. We don’t have the time anymore to try and figure out yet again another solution. What if our baby had been in there? She would have severely injured her. I’m at a loss.