I Have to find a solution for Lucky's peeing habits! (side peeing/high peeing)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's just say she is lucky to be so cute!
This girl has the worst peeing habits ever! No matter how high my boxes are, and they are high, she manages to Pee outside. She starts well, by crouching down and peeing on the litter.... Then she does this Pee-dance shaking her booty as she lifts her bottom as high as she can all the while peeing on the walls- I mean, she stands on the tips of her toes! :wife:
In my new house so far her Pee has gone on both my luggage (yep, large and carry on :rolleyes:), my 1950 vintage furniture, staining the wood, walls, and of course, the floor.
I tried buying a covered box the booda dome, but poor Bugsy got stuck on the door as he tried to back out from it :doh3:
Right now I have four boxes: two tall sterilite storage containers, one petmate jumbo box, and one booda dome.
Anyone has the same issue here? What gives?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A really tall plastic container with a nice hold cut in for her to get in and out might work.  So might a covered tray, but put it on plastic as in my experience cats that stand up always get the join.

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just a cat litter tray with a hoods fine,they look like cat carriers but with a catflap so the cats can pee in private...try ebay...

but i high stroage box works fine....no need to cut holes in it(incase the pee escapes) your cat will just jump straight into it....

my male cat sprayed until i had him done..he would do it everywhere..as cute as they are...man does a cats pee smell...lol..but he likes to go for a pee then cover it up..but then spens like 10 minutes digging til nearly all the litter is on the floor..he gets it 3ft away from his box too...

so thats the 2nd reason i got a large litter tray with hood and catflap....he gets it nowhere now..just couple of bits off his paws make it out...lol..

use biological washing powder and warm water..made up in a spay bottle to clean your things with..it breaks down bacteria that cause's the smell...then use a good dissinfectant..i use one you spray on an area and leave to dry...since getting rid of any trace of my cats pee..he has not sprayed..

but its early days yet lol

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then she does this Pee-dance shaking her booty as she lifts her bottom as high as she can
LOL....I know that dance!!  Eko and Lucy both do this.  Lucy is so little she doesn't usually make it over the side but Eko does.  Thankfully, it is just occasionally.  We have high sided boxes (10 inches) that have helped some and the boxes are on flooring or mats that make clean up easier.  I've thought about trying the storage box idea if it ever becomes a more frequent problem.  I would cut a door in though because I've read it isn't good for their joints to launch themselves out of the box from the sandy litter surface.  I hesitate to make the sides even higher though because I don't want the cats feeling trapped in the box.  They all love the "ambush my friend as they come out of the litter box" game (at least they wait until the pottying is done.)  I think they like knowing they can easily jump out in any direction if needed.  Since you already have high sides I don't have any suggestions, just "I know how it feels." 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mazy and Jennie both pee like that. Exactly as you describe. I use tall sided plastic tote boxes for this reason.Mazy and Jennie aren't as tall as Lucky, but the sides of the boxes I use are 12 inches high, and their stand up pees make it about 3/4 of the way up, so about 9 inches.

I have regular boxes too. They both squat and pee if they use the low sided boxes, but when they want to raise that bottom high, they get in the high sided box.

And you know, they do seem to take a deep satisfaction in drilling that pee against the side of the box. And it really drills :lol3::lol3:

I do not cut holes in the high sided boxes. They jump over the side to get in and out. Holes are not needed.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How tall are your Steralite tubs?  The one I use (I think it's actually a rubbermaid tub), is 15 inches high).  I would think that would contain even a dancing pee
.  Mine don't dance like that, but Stinkpot likes to dig and toss litter all over the place, thus the need for very high walls.  I think your issue is worse

But to alleviate your clean-up problems, if you can't solve the problem with an even higher box, can't you just put the boxes in the bathroom where the floors are tile (presumably), and put some plastic on the wall behind it? 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina's Lucky is a female and she is spayed. Both my cats who stand up to pee are also spayed females. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have one who does that, Pixie, also a spayed female. Most of the time the pee stays in the Sterilite tote but every now and then she clears the side! She's a small cat, too, but somehow she angles it just right. . .:lol3:.

The solution: puppy pads. Under the box, tacked to the walls, wherever they need to be. Wonderful things, puppy pads are :tongue2:.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very informative thread for me. My spayed female also pees high occasionally. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with her that was causing it, but it just seems to be a preference for some cats I guess.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very informative thread for me. My spayed female also pees high occasionally. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with her that was causing it, but it just seems to be a preference for some cats I guess.
I think so too. Like you, I used to worry about it, especially because Mazy has lower urinary tract disease. But her pee is fine these days. She just gets such great satisfaction from drilling her pee against the wall of the litter box. :lol3: :lol3:

But I also find it very interesting that Mazy cat never does it in any of the other boxes. When she pees in the low sided boxes, she always squats nice and tidy like. :heart3:

(Jennie, too, but she almost always uses the big box whether she is drilling or not)

Last edited:

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My spayed female is a 'standing-tall' pee-er too and can easily pee over the tallest

plastic tub I was able to fit into the area.  However, she only pees at the back of the

box and one side (which are both up against a wall).  So I got some rigid, easily

cut plastic (quilting templates are perfect for this) and hot-glued them onto those

sides of the box.  Since they are up against a wall anyway, she doesn't seem

to feel trapped by high sides all around her.  I call them 'splash guards'.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My spayed female is a 'standing-tall' pee-er too and can easily pee over the tallest
plastic tub I was able to fit into the area.  However, she only pees at the back of the
box and one side (which are both up against a wall).  So I got some rigid, easily
cut plastic (quilting templates are perfect for this) and hot-glued them onto those
sides of the box.  Since they are up against a wall anyway, she doesn't seem
to feel trapped by high sides all around her.  I call them 'splash guards'.
Splash guards! Perfect! :lol3:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, now I'm thinking that if I cut around the lid and left just the rim, she wouldn't be able to pee over the side anymore. . . I totally have to try that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sterilite containers are 15" high and she manages to pee over them. I am liking some ideas here on the thread.... I need to go shopping for some pee pads for sure... The problem with covered boxes, aside from the booda dome is that the pee would go in the middle and out - I think.
She likes the booda but I can't use it exclusively because of Bugsy. I don't think Giant Mac would fit in it either.....
I might have to upgrade my containers to even higher, but I don't want my cats to do Olympic jumps to go in and out of the box :rolleyes:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sterilite containers are 15" high and she manages to pee over them. I am liking some ideas here on the thread.... I need to go shopping for some pee pads for sure... The problem with covered boxes, aside from the booda dome is that the pee would go in the middle and out - I think.
She likes the booda but I can't use it exclusively because of Bugsy. I don't think Giant Mac would fit in it either.....
I might have to upgrade my containers to even higher, but I don't want my cats to do Olympic jumps to go in and out of the box :rolleyes:
Whew boy, she's a real pro, isn't she? I haven't let Mazy cat see this thread, don't want to give her any ideas, thinking she might need to try to beat Lucky's record. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol3: she is a pro for sure!

Ok - so I went to a craft store and got the "splash guards" - the quilt template plastic - boy, they made an EXPENSIVE litter box, I tell ya - each one of those things, the heavy duty ones, were $4.99...... 3 per box - $15...... Plus 3 new sterilite bins...... plus the pee pads.... Whoa!

So now I have 3 HIGHLY protected splash-guarded sterilite bins and one booda dome - all of them are sitting on pee pads and laying against pee pads on the wall. If she manages to get pee outside of those contraptions..... I won't believe her talent :wife: