i have questions about neutering

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
questions regarding neutering my 8 month old selkirk rex
1. are cats with asthma neutered just like other cats, are there any risks?
2. will the incision look bloody after the procedure? i dont want to scare the kids
3. how long does the incision take to heal?
4. will he need a cone?
5. will his behaviour change in a month (regarding meowing at the door, aggression, and activity)
6. do i need to seperate him from everyone after the procedure for a bit?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1.yes they are, you would have to talk to your vet about this they can tell you of any risks because of asthma. 2.There may be a bit of blood but nothing that would scare the kid's it's a very small incision on male's 3. Normally a couple of weeks last cat I had done was healed in a week no evidence of the op. 4. I have had one cat not given a cone and one given a cone depends on the vet. But not really needed unless they won't leave wound alone. 5.it depends it took one of mine a couple of months, the other was a couple of weeks to stop fighting and meowing at the doors. None of the cat's I've had done are any less active in other way just nicer. 6. If you have other cat's I would separate for a couple of day's he'll need to be able to get his bearings and recover from annastetic, even if it's only for a night. Then if they are left unattended say while at work but otherwise just don't let play get too rough while he's healing. But if it's just humans just make sure the kid's leave him be to come round quietly he might be sleepy and want to be left alone. My last cat I had done jumped out of the carrier and started to play. Depends on the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1.yes they are, you would have to talk to your vet about this they can tell you of any risks because of asthma. 2.There may be a bit of blood but nothing that would scare the kid's it's a very small incision on male's 3. Normally a couple of weeks last cat I had done was healed in a week no evidence of the op. 4. I have had one cat not given a cone and one given a cone depends on the vet. But not really needed unless they won't leave wound alone. 5.it depends it took one of mine a couple of months, the other was a couple of weeks to stop fighting and meowing at the doors. None of the cat's I've had done are any less active in other way just nicer. 6. If you have other cat's I would separate for a couple of day's he'll need to be able to get his bearings and recover from annastetic, even if it's only for a night. Then if they are left unattended say while at work but otherwise just don't let play get too rough while he's healing. But if it's just humans just make sure the kid's leave him be to come round quietly he might be sleepy and want to be left alone. My last cat I had done jumped out of the carrier and started to play. Depends on the cat.
thank you so much, it makes me feel a lot better now knowing this stuff :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone with neutering and have never had problems with many cats. they lick a bit and then usually leave it alone. There may be a small amount of blood, but nothing to be scared about. The vet should definitely know about asthma, they may have to have equipment handy to intubate him if needed, or perhaps use lighter anesthesia. Hormones in a cat's system take about thirty days to completely dissipate, you should see a much calmer, happier cat after that. It takes about a week to heal. Most of my males act like nothing ever happened!
Definitely watch him around other cats when he comes home, they smell different and the other cats may attack him, give him a separate room for a day if you can. Try to get a blanket or towel he or the others have laid on and rub him along the sides and along the face with it, it will make him smell more normal.
You are giving him a much more calm and happy life, thank you! PS remember he may be cranky or hurting a little after his surgery, so make sure the kids leave him alone for a day or two,. They can stroke him and feed him, but no picking up or playing with him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. are cats with asthma neutered just like other cats, are there any risks? Yes to the first part and no to the second part. (I have an asthmatic boy and he did just fine during his neuter.)
2. will the incision look bloody after the procedure? i dont want to scare the kids No
3. how long does the incision take to heal? A couple of weeks
4. will he need a cone? No, unless he starts licking aggressively and irritates the incisions.
5. will his behaviour change in a month (regarding meowing at the door, aggression, and activity) Probably not completely, but should lessen the severity of the behavior. Sometimes, though, due to his age it might not change at all since some of this behavior is learned.
6. do i need to seperate him from everyone after the procedure for a bit? I put my kitties in a large dog crate overnight or until the anesthesia is worn off. If your boy stays overnight at the vet, no separation is usually needed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I only ever neuter former or current ferals, so a lot of this won't answer your questions; however, just to reassure you that it is safe.......

I never use any local TNR groups as they won't keep the cat overnight, at least. Always go to my cat vet who allows me to walk in with any cat in a trap at any time. Talking only about males now....they all stay over night,usually in the trap if they were truly feral and aggressive. The next day they are released and nothing has ever gone wrong. To be honest, I have never even seen blood on a cat who was neutered, including my male pet cats who are indoor only.