I have no clue

Noah-1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My name is Noah im 16 years old.
Here is my story im going to be as brief as possible also im still learning English so bear with me.

Starts woth my 8 year old sister becoming crazy about cats for some reason. I think she watched so many cat videos 😂. Dad know someone who passed away who had 4 to 5 cats ( not sure). All found new home except one little kitten. I don't know whats the deal with this kitten but they didn't even know how old he is. Anyway Dad took her for my sister.

Day 1
Me waking up in the morning not having a clue introduced to the cat. Sister is extremely happy. Dad all of a sudden: hey your sister is too young to care for the cat and im too busy so you gonna help her. In dad language which means you're fully responsible for this cat and will answer for anything that happens to him.
I looked at this little animal shaking in fear and said in my mind "what the ****".
I woke up that morning thinking about what video games im gonna play and now I have to take care of a cat. It is not new that my dad throw responsibilities at me but this is too much. Im not even a cat lover.
Well I guess I should start reading and the first question I have to answer is what am i gonna feed him?
Dad gave him formula milk but i thought he was old for that he already had some teath so I started feeding him chicken leftovers ( we eat a lot of chicken).

Day 2
he had low energy and something black around his eyes and nose. Told my dad we must take him to the vet. Vet give us antibiotics. And I started feeding him cat food.

day 3
he had a lot more energy started walking around getting used to us. I started to like him. care for him. It is not a burden anymore. I really wanna take care of him now. Sister named him Jojo. Strange name but it is her cat i guess.

day 4
the family is all here. The house is loud. Sister introduced Jojo to 7 kids. Everyone wants to pet and play with him. Jojo is in panic mode. Told my sister the cat is not used to this and took him to a quiet room. All kids hate me now lol.

day 5
the cat loves me now and I love him. He follows me everywhere. Want
to pet and play all the time.my Sister is jealous lol. The cat person inside me has awoken. Never knew I liked cats so much.

IMG_20200614_105015__01.jpg

So this is the story.sorry of it is too long.
I really hope Im gonna be able to take care of this cat and to provide a home where he can grow up healthy and happy.
I welcome any advice you have for me

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful letter! You also found out how to earn a cat's love, and once you find it, how they worm their way into your heart. You were perfectly right that cats absolutely hate big crowds of people who are all trying to get to them. You were perfect in giving that poor little one some quiet time. Cat often bond to one person in the family, and even though you didn't want it, he loved you for feeding and caring for him. He is really too young to be taken from his family, it is at the age he looks that they start to learn social manners from mama and siblings. Don't let him attack your hands, tell him NO and leave. It's cute now, but not so cute when they are grown. Have plenty of toys, boxes, balls, anything for him to play with. Kittens are a ball of energy. They get into everything, including chewing on electrical cords and eating things they shouldn't, so try to kitten proof your home. They need lots of kitten food, with its extra calories and nutrition to stay healthy. Unlike dogs, please feed him often, and as much as he wants, cats rarely overeat. They are meat-eaters, so the chicken is fine too with the kitten food. Feed him as much as he wants until one year old.
That black around the eyes was mucous from a 'kitty cold', very common in young kittens. You did right by taking him to the vet.
Welcome to our site! I hope you will continue to come here if you need help, we have lots of experience. I would love to hear about your experiences in learning to live with a cat! By the way, he is absolutely adorable!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
Noah, on behalf of The catsite community, a warm
images.jpg
to you and JoJo.

So glad that you have taken responsibilities to look after Jojo and I think your are the right one to do it and Jojo is such a cute kitty :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

Do post more photos of Jojo and we have a special thread here just for him :- post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458

Just remember that home cooked food is not to good for Jojo as it its is not prepared appropriately for cats and make sure that the cooked chicken or any home-cooked food does not have garlic in them as they are bad for their health as with other added ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

If you have any questions on food, do start a new thread here in :- cat-nutrition.64 and on health issues, post here :- cat-health.4

Here are some articles for you to read to help you along.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules
bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noah-1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a wonderful letter! You also found out how to earn a cat's love, and once you find it, how they worm their way into your heart. You were perfectly right that cats absolutely hate big crowds of people who are all trying to get to them. You were perfect in giving that poor little one some quiet time. Cat often bond to one person in the family, and even though you didn't want it, he loved you for feeding and caring for him. He is really too young to be taken from his family, it is at the age he looks that they start to learn social manners from mama and siblings. Don't let him attack your hands, tell him NO and leave. It's cute now, but not so cute when they are grown. Have plenty of toys, boxes, balls, anything for him to play with. Kittens are a ball of energy. They get into everything, including chewing on electrical cords and eating things they shouldn't, so try to kitten proof your home. They need lots of kitten food, with its extra calories and nutrition to stay healthy. Unlike dogs, please feed him often, and as much as he wants, cats rarely overeat. They are meat-eaters, so the chicken is fine too with the kitten food. Feed him as much as he wants until one year old.
That black around the eyes was mucous from a 'kitty cold', very common in young kittens. You did right by taking him to the vet.
Welcome to our site! I hope you will continue to come here if you need help, we have lots of experience. I would love to hear about your experiences in learning to live with a cat! By the way, he is absolutely adorable!
Thanks for the advice really appreciate it.
was really afraid at first but it is a lot easier than I thought.

I just have one question

uuuuu.jpg

How can I stand up in this situation? lol
he likes to sleep on my lap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noah-1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 338901 Noah, on behalf of The catsite community, a warm View attachment 338900 to you and JoJo.

So glad that you have taken responsibilities to look after Jojo and I think your are the right one to do it and Jojo is such a cute kitty :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

Do post more photos of Jojo and we have a special thread here just for him :- post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458

Just remember that home cooked food is not to good for Jojo as it its is not prepared appropriately for cats and make sure that the cooked chicken or any home-cooked food does not have garlic in them as they are bad for their health as with other added ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

If you have any questions on food, do start a new thread here in :- cat-nutrition.64 and on health issues, post here :- cat-health.4

Here are some articles for you to read to help you along.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules
bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:
thanks a lot appreciate it. this is really helpful stuff.
I will be more careful with what we feed him

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for the advice really appreciate it.
was really afraid at first but it is a lot easier than I thought.

I just have one question

How can I stand up in this situation? lol
he likes to sleep on my lap
If you need to get up, place one hand under his neck supporting his head and the other under his body and gently lift him up. I see that you are like sitting on the floor, you may want to have a cushion and place him on it so that he may get use to sleeping in it. Else when you get up, he'll be awaken by your movements and may get off by himself.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Jojo! By the way, your English is fine. I know people who have never spoken anything else who don't do that well! Jojo won't care much what his name is, so long as he is loved. Children name pets weird things (I once named my very first dog "Boopydoop," but you do that when you are three years old). And you are doing a wonderful job of taking care of him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thanks for introducing us to Jojo and taking such good care of him. Cats like to pick their people and he has chosen you.:catlove: Please feel free to ask us any questions you have whether it's about his food, behavior, health or grooming. We are more than happy to help out.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love this story! Especially since you weren't even crazy about the idea of having a cat, and now you two have bonded. It was meant to be.
:happycat:

There is a quote (might be Mark Twain but I'm not sure) that goes something like "anyone who says they don't like cats hasn't met the right one yet". You have definitely found your cat :)