I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, Charlie, now listen. You gotta help your mama and keep having LOTS MORE GOOD DAYS ...

Oh, say, he isn't still getting under that bed you mentioned a little while back?
Ha, funny you should ask! Little bugger tunneled a way between some cushions I have stuffed under there for the first time today; I had to use a flashlight to locate him! He watched his little brother do it and figured he could fit, too. So more cushions were retrieved and shoved under the bed tightly - no cat is getting under there now. I swear Finn looked very perturbed - when watching me shove more cushions under the bed, he nipped Charlie on the back, Charlie nipped him back on the ear, they both gave each other a WHAP on the head, and that was that. Now they're snoring and sharing a chair. :lol:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zigggggggggy!!!!! Look at her just feeling so safe that she chillin' on her back with all her chub I mean fluff exposed! :loveeyes:
I love this song, I'll dedicate it to Zigster today:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick question! Mom just called and wanted to stop by with her dog. She has a big standard poodle. She said she'd keep him on a leash, but I'm not sure what the cats would do if their territory were invaded even temporarily by a dog? We talking redirected aggression toward each other, or spraying by Charlie after the fact, or more likely just hiding? I have never tried to introduce a dog to the cats before..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't let the dog in, but it might not matter since your mom is going to have the scent of the dog on her clothing and hands anyway. Even so, I wouldn't let that dog in.

Introducing a dog to cats takes a LOT of time to be done properly.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let the dog in, but it might not matter since your mom is going to have the scent of the dog on her clothing and hands anyway. Even so, I wouldn't let that dog in.

Introducing a dog to cats takes a LOT of time to be done properly.
Her dog has been exposed to cats and is cat friendly. Just not my cats. He's a gentle soul, not aggressive at all.
I'm not going to risk it today. With Charlie's over-grooming issue and the fact that we have only recently established peace, and the fact that I'm going back to clinical on Monday - I don't want to rock the boat. But we have talked about introducing them at some point and I wondered what that looked like. I spend time at their house loving on the dog, so they've smelled his scent on me plenty of times. Yet to have their territory invaded, that's a whole other story. Curious as to what cats usually do in that situation?

Edit to add: Didn't finish as the doorbell was ringing. Anyway - curious as to what the process might entail. I also would like to have an idea so I can explain my reluctance to my mom so she understands that it's not me not wanting her dog here (I think she loves that dog more than me, he's like a child to her).

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yet to have their territory invaded, that's a whole other story.
yeah, exactly this.

Curious as to what cats usually do in that situation?
It depends on the cat, but as you mentioned, you have a fragile situation going there with Charlie's itching et al, and the two of them just getting their relationship stable.

It could be any of the reactive things you described above, or they could be completely calm about it all since as you commented, they've already smelled the poodle. However, I'm with you in thinking that later for a doggy intro is better :thumbsup:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick question! Mom just called and wanted to stop by with her dog. She has a big standard poodle. She said she'd keep him on a leash, but I'm not sure what the cats would do if their territory were invaded even temporarily by a dog? We talking redirected aggression toward each other, or spraying by Charlie after the fact, or more likely just hiding? I have never tried to introduce a dog to the cats before..
If it was me I would absolutely NOT risk it, especially with the possibility of undoing all the progress they've made lately.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Zigggggggggy!!!!! Look at her just feeling so safe that she chillin' on her back with all her chub I mean fluff exposed! :loveeyes:
I love this song, I'll dedicate it to Zigster today:
HAAAAA HAAAA HAAAA!!!! I have never heard this before. It so fits. Down to the short tails. The higher Zylkene has helped. I've gone back a few steps in intro also but we are moving.
Gracie has gotten braver too, she's out in the house more, not just the cat tower cubby. So Groofles is getting more melded.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do the dog at this time either, because of all the recent skin problems, having achieved peace...can rock the boat later. When I've intro'd cats to dogs I've adopted it depends on the dog and the cat. Pearl, my labrador, was amazing. She wouldn't rush them, she'd watch, and even get down on her belly to be smaller for them and look up at them. Another dog loved to chase them in fun. The cats would just go high or under a table. Or swat the noses. This was in the 1990's, not with my current crew.
There is a good possibility Charlie would do some spraying.
I know Jackson Galaxy has a chapter on intoducing dogs and cats. Haven't read it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And explain to your mom that the cats are in a very delicate stage of getting used to each other. Tell her that you want an introduction to go well, but at this point, it may not, through no fault of her WONDERFUL dog! Later would be better, and give all three animals a better chance at a successful meeting.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No posts from you in quite awhile! Is everyone okay? I know you have a lot going on but I get worried when you don’t post. Sorry but I just wanted to check on you and the boys. :heartshape:
Hi friend! Yes, I just wrapped up my final clinical on Friday, praise the Lord! It has been a whirlwind, but this was probably my favorite setting (acute care), so it was a good whirlwind! I've popped in here infrequently just to check on you, usually right before bed so I've been too tired to post, and up at 4 am. How have YOU been doing?? Last I ready you were having trouble getting online with phone issues! I will catch up on your thread soon - my body held out til yesterday before finally telling me "enough!' and I spent most of this weekend in bed trying to fight off something, haven't felt like being online much.

All is well with the boys, same old same old here. I've been a bit concerned about Charlie and have a vet appointment for him on Wednesday. The itching has lessened somewhat. I eliminated all beef from his diet, I read that's a common allergen so not sure if it's that, or if the pollens are just finally subsiding, but the itching is not as severe. Yet he is still coughing. He had a couple episodes of vomiting in one week, and then rather than loafing I noticed him 'crouching' a lot, like he was uncomfortable. All that has now subsided, but the coughing remains:

Will let you know what the vet says. I am concerned but praying that it is simply allergies and nothing more. Thinking I may need to get a scan just to rule out anything more sinister for peace of mind.. Other than that, I'll just be studying for boards and hope to be employed at last before too long! What. A. Year. I hope all is well with my friends here, will be checking back in, looking forward to seeing the updates! :grouphug:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear you made it through everything! :woo:Except exhaustion and feeling rough! I hope that is just a result of a hard year. You certainly have had your paws full. Rest and feel better!
Charlie looks healthy in the video! His fur looks good. That cough could be something else but it is a lot like a hair ball cough. That little gulp at the end seems like he swallowed it back down. Blah!! Considering all the licking he was doing, hair balls should be around somewhere. The look he gives you at the last second touched my heart. He is so loving and beautiful! Please do let me know how his vet visit goes. As for catching up.... lol. Got time? I guess you know about Smokey. Purry just got stung or bitten by something. Me too. At first I thought a feral might have gotten his ear but I am leaning towards the hornet now. I got zapped twice. Purry is better. Prints has joined us for now. I am searching for three lost cats too. All in all, not much going on.:lol: ;)
This is Prints. He is a contortionist with polka dots!
732B8ECC-F1CC-4BA2-AA6A-53DC720F29AA.jpeg
23ADA984-F1B7-4FD8-83F7-84DCED97F0BE.jpeg
85CF2CC2-9BE4-4CF5-BBE6-4C2307E0B57F.jpeg

Very glad to hear from you! I was hoping you were just busy. Take it easy and touch base after you have had time to for a little rest and relaxation. Hugs to the boys! :heartshape: