I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about required, but it might be quite helpful to stop licking :)
Okay, I ordered it. The expense of these cats...it's never-ending. Don't know how that will keep him from getting his hindquarters if he's determined as he is, but even if it makes it less comfortable and harder to do, anything to keep it from turning into a wound. These boys have been doing so well for the last few days - no tussles at all. Like abnormally well - longest they've ever gone without a tussle. Praying that the vet visit doesn't interrupt our streak, and that the collar doesn't cause problems between them. Gotta do what we gotta do, though. 🙏

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chamomile tea, maybe?

per Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
It is extremely soothing, as well as being antibacterial and antifungal. DO use the commercial tea bags, as those are all German chamomile, medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety is useless and toxic to cats. ALL COMMERCIAL chamomile tea bags are German, BTW, so just grab a box at the grocery store, brew a cup, and chill before using. It can also be used internally for anxiety.
I found this in my cabinet. Do you think the "other natural flavors" would be a problem?
tea.JPG

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this in my cabinet. Do you think the "other natural flavors" would be a problem?
View attachment 344767
Oh wait. How can I tell the difference between the commercial and English variety I wonder? This says product of Germany, Poland, Egypt, and Chile. However, it says blended in London, England. Hmmmm

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All commercial tea is the German variety :) and therefore safe.
Thanks Furballsmom! I know it's been suggested a lot, but I couldn't imagine that pressing a wet tea bag against his skin wouldn't make him lick more. I'm willing to try anything now, though. Now to see if he allows me to press it against his bald spots.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can just dip a cloth or cotton ball in the chilled tea and swab it on. I know that organic honey is safe for cats externally, but I'm wondering what those "other" natural flavors" actually are...THAT would be the determining factor. And your tea bag is expired by two years. It won't hurt, but might not help as much.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can just dip a cloth or cotton ball in the chilled tea and swab it on. I know that organic honey is safe for cats externally, but I'm wondering what those "other" natural flavors" actually are...THAT would be the determining factor. And your tea bag is expired by two years. It won't hurt, but might not help as much.
Yes, that's the least fou-frou tea I had in the cabinets. I'll have to pick up some plain chamomile bags at the store the "other" raises my eyebrows, too. Thanks, Mamanyt1953!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to use a collar type cone, I think that is one of the best ones I have seen for comfort. Some cats deal with them very well. The body suit you mentioned is probably a onesie like for infant children. I kind of feel like Finn will either give this thing a very wide berth or try to help Charlie get out! Probably the first if I had to guess. At least in the beginning. He may worry it will end up on him! It might give Charlie the upper paw! Although using that upper paw may be done with restraint. Biting is going to be hard to do too. I think the chamomile is a great option! So sorry the vet visit got delayed. I still hope for help there. I’m glad the kitties are having peaceful days.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I kind of feel like Finn will either give this thing a very wide berth or try to help Charlie get out! Probably the first if I had to guess. At least in the beginning. He may worry it will end up on him!
I had to laugh at Finn worrying about whether it ending up on him! LOL! The boys have been getting along SO WELL that dare I hope they've reached an agreement?! I hope this donut doesn't throw them both for a loop, because it is wonderful to have peace!

How goes things today?
Things are well. Charlie still chewing on himself, but my parents stopped by briefly and he really chewed like crazy then. Visitors stress him out. So even though it's allergies, I notice him chew himself more when he's stressed, either by altercations with Finn or visitors. I was working on paperwork all day today and didn't leave to get the chamomile - I'll go to town tomorrow.

I felt terrible tonight, you guys- I was on the phone and went out to the garage and shut Finn's head in the door! I was HORRIFIED! I turned around to see why the door wouldn't shut and it's because it shut on Finn's head. I've examined him and he's acting fine, but he did stand and shake his head several times right after it happened. He's become a real door darter since his escape - I cannot step outside without being hyper vigilant. Poor little dude! I'll keep an eye on him tonight and watch for soreness.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be absolutely sure and get the chamomile tomorrow, and try cat music for him if you haven't already.

Take a cloth, rub it gently on both cats and rub the donut before you put it on :)

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dealing with a stressed out Wanda Heart here. I had my step sister come for a visit and it really upset WH. We were at the vet today because of it. I can totally understand that Charlie would be stressed by company. Cats just don’t like change. Especially kitties that experienced an early hard life. Poor Charlie.
If things are peaceful and Charlie is not chewing badly, personally, I would wait to put the collar on when he starts back up again. Maybe he is already at that point? I am wondering how both kitties will receive the collar. I can totally imagine “the look” that Finn is going to give to you and Charlie in the beginning. Get your camera out! Of course around here, the girls would all probably admire the lovely cat decoration! I am pretty sure that BJ would be the one that would want to wear it. He is a bit of a Peacock around the girls. He might prefer it as a hat though. :lol: Try going into this with purraise for how beautiful he looks!
If both cats wore the collars but had a scuffle, I kind of visualized it going something like this.....

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt terrible tonight, you guys- I was on the phone and went out to the garage and shut Finn's head in the door! I was HORRIFIED! I turned around to see why the door wouldn't shut and it's because it shut on Finn's head. I've examined him and he's acting fine, but he did stand and shake his head several times right after it happened. He's become a real door darter since his escape - I cannot step outside without being hyper vigilant. Poor little dude! I'll keep an eye on him tonight and watch for soreness.
I have to tell you this reminds me of what I accidentally did to Moo once- this was awhile ago. I have an electric reclining couch in my living room. She and Waffies would get behind the couch when they were afraid- if a repairman came, too loud of thunder, etc.
I was always careful when putting the recliner foot part down, but one time I put it down and Moo had gotten under the couch and had her head in the path, I didn't know, didn't see (did I not look hard enough??) and it came down on her on top of her head. She yelled and I looked around and didn't see where she was, then I saw her. OMG I felt so bad- I didn't realize what had happened for about 5 or so seconds- I had stopped the reclining- so she was stuck there.
She wasn't hurt. I unplugged the recliner part and haven't reclined it since. I ssuurrreee know how you feel!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet appointment this morning. Charlie has feline acquired symmetrical alopecia with probably endocrine cause. My vet feels confident that Charlie will respond to thyroid medication. I crushed it up (after checking that the pill could be crushed) and added to his food and he ate it - that's one hurdle we won't have to struggle over. My vet thinks he should respond to this med within a few days! I had to drop the boys off at home and leave for work, but have been watching them on the camera. They're being very wary of each other post-vet. Will see how things go when I get back home. Just had to pop back in and update you guys.

I am dealing with a stressed out Wanda Heart here. I had my step sister come for a visit and it really upset WH. We were at the vet today because of it. I can totally understand that Charlie would be stressed by company. Cats just don’t like change.
Oh no, Jcatbird! What happened with WandaHeart? How is she doing now? If anyone knows how to create a sense of security and restore a kitty's sanity, it's you. I hope she's back on solid footing both health-wise and psyche. 🥰

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet appointment this morning. Charlie has feline acquired symmetrical alopecia with probably endocrine cause. My vet feels confident that Charlie will respond to thyroid medication. I crushed it up (after checking that the pill could be crushed) and added to his food and he ate it - that's one hurdle we won't have to struggle over. My vet thinks he should respond to this med within a few days! I had to drop the boys off at home and leave for work, but have been watching them on the camera. They're being very wary of each other post-vet. Will see how things go when I get back home. Just had to pop back in and update you guys.

Oh no, Jcatbird! What happened with WandaHeart? How is she doing now? If anyone knows how to create a sense of security and restore a kitty's sanity, it's you. I hope she's back on solid footing both health-wise and psyche. 🥰
It sounds so treatable! Hope this cures it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he ate it - that's one hurdle we won't have to struggle over. My vet thinks he should respond to this med within a few days!
:woo:

:vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:

But did the vet say what's causing this? It's usually fleas but in Charlie's case it's his thyroid? Did they provide anything to relieve his itchiness in the meantime?

Is the chamomile tea helping his discomfort?

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill, that's certainly not my intent, but this is from the Merck Veterinary Manual;
Feline acquired symmetric alopecia (formerly called feline endocrine alopecia) is a syndrome that describes hair loss on both side of a cat's body that occurs due to an underlying disease. The most common cause is flea allergy dermatitis. In cats that do not have an obvious flea infestation, your veterinarian may perform blood tests. Your veterinarian may also recommend a trial of flea control treatments to see if improvement is seen.

Last edited: