I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that we worry when kitties are licking or itching. I still have bouts of that with a couple of cats here. Working on it! With Mama I am convinced it is a bite from a flea. Her tail gets sparse. Jeremiah makes me feel it could be the same issue but he is far more sensitive to it. Then again, I am changing up their dry food because it seemed to start when I changed that once. As they get older it seems to flare up a little more often. Is their food grain free? Changing up needs to be gradual but I was reading about grain and yeast overgrowth causing hot spots. What about antimicrobials? Maybe that Jackson Galaxy product will work. You had good results with other flower type products. Has anyone suggested the chamomile? I have heard of people using a soft ( cloth) cone to keep them from licking in order for the hotspot to heal. I have never been able to watch my cats struggle with a cone but many people do very well using cones on cats. A soft one sounds much nicer. I can’t imagine what Charlie and Finn would do with that! You might have to cone them both! :oops: I can just imagine that discussion between the two! We’ll keep investigating! Sending Charlie soothing purrs.
Aw, thanks Jcatbird Jcatbird ! I feed wet food only, grain free. Sometimes I wonder if behaviors aren't a result of a 'perfect storm' - as in, maybe Charlie has some allergies, and combined with anxiety results in increased grooming or vice versa. We haven't had fleas around here since I took Charlie in, thank goodness! When Charlie was a stray years ago he had them, and I had to go through the whole process of treating him, vacuuming and washing all bedding on a daily basis to make sure they were gone. Even then, I didn't see him chewing or grooming like he does now.

They say that bully behavior is the result of a fearful cat. Charlie definitely exhibits bully behavior and always has. If the root of that is truly fear, it would explain his developing anxiety over his internal conflict of having to share his territory yet wanting the company. And sometimes OCD-type behaviors can develop during a perfect storm and then become habitual once all stimulus has subsided. Hoping I can intervene before this becomes a permanent struggle. :(

I've ordered the Jackson Galaxy stuff as, like you said, we've had great success with those essences in the past. I would think that if it's behavioral and anxiety based, I'll see an improvement. If it's more allergy based, I would think it wouldn't have much effect. I will post with an update when we've tried it for a bit! :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was reading up on hyperesthesia in felines again. With Charlie's over-grooming and vocalizing, I recall that someone very helpful on this thread several months back had suggested it could be the problem. Anti-anxiety meds or supplements are consistently suggested. Charlie just doesn't tolerate Zylkene - it is definitely the Zylkene that makes him act a little bonkers and start ghosting and rolling around on the floor with wild eyes.

One of the articles I read recommended this product for cats with hyperesthesia. The product states it's for dogs, but I could go by the weight limit. What do you guys think? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRP3MR4/?tag=thecatsite

The Jackson Galaxy product should be arriving tomorrow, so I will start with that and see how it works. Just trying to stay on top of all options before clinicals start back up.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , look what I just found inside my patio door. At least it's dead...the poison must be working. :runaround:
Carpenter.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried a similar calming chew https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VOBPPJA/?tag=thecatsite

It worked wonders on my cat with terrible anxiety that leads to urine spraying. Unfortunately it made him vomit and vomit and vomit. Ugh. No idea what in the ingredient list caused it, but each time I gave it to him, he vomited within 90 minutes.

I would say that if all ingredients in the product are ok for cats then it's worth a try.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the calming chews arrived before the Jackson Galaxy, so I started with those. I used LESS than 1/2 of a chew crumbled into Charlie's food. He must not have liked the taste, because he didn't finish his food. Finn must have come behind him and finished up for him, as when I went to collect the plates, Charlie was with me and his plate was cleaned.

Both of these boys are chillllllllll tonight. They stayed on the bed with me all evening long snoozing. Charlie jumped down to recline on his back on the ground. Finn watched him lazily, but didn't pounce like he normally would. Yet the minute Finn jumped off the bed, Charlie was up on his feet. So it's good to see that they're not totally sedated - they are still alert and can respond, but they're just completely relaxed. My goal right now is just to reduce Charlie's anxiety in hopes of reducing the over-grooming.

Very, very effective stuff. Would be great to use for stressful vet visits, fireworks, and other traumatic situations, just FYI in case you guys ever need it.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question regarding Finn:
Sometime this past week, Finn threw up which surprised me for a couple reasons: Finn has never thrown up once since he's been with me, he's just not a puker. And in the vomit was a hairball. I wouldn't think Finn would have enough hair to make a hairball? His coat is sleek and close to the body, no fluff at all.

But just now, he was siting in my lap and gave a little hiccup sound and puked out a glob of food right in my lap. He only eats pate, no kibble, and I fed him 2 hours ago. Shouldn't that food be digested? Is this something I should be concerned about?

When he and Charlie play, they play really rough. Finn will be up on top of his perch that's close to the ground, and Charlie will often pull him off of it. Sometimes he lands on the ground with a loud THUMP. Is there anything about these scenarios I should be concerned about?

*Edit: Finn has not had any of Charlie's supplement today, so it's not that.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All cats lick off hair when they are grooming and sometimes there will be a hairball. I have a short haired kitty that grooms, but not excessively. He will throw up a hairball and vomit every other month or so.

I also have a cat that will throw up a few hours after eating when he has had too much water to drink. Most of my cats don't drink water so I always add extra water to their pate. No kibble here either. I just usually think it was too much liquid accompanied by running around and playing after a meal.

Just keep an eye on him. If it happens more frequently then it might be of concern.

You could always put a soft blanket or cushion under the cat perch if you think it might be hurting Finn. I have cats that play rough too. I think they know when it's too much and will often vocalize. To be safe, make the area below a softer landing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also consider that Finn may be grooming Charlie some or somehow ingesting some of his fur. He could get little strands on his paws after a tussle or any number of ways they can share fluff. That combined with his own is certainly enough for a hairball.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! Your responses eased my mind I do add water to their food, so maybe I added a little too much. Shadowsrescue, that's a great idea bout adding blankets to the bottom of the perch to soften the landings. And Jcatbird, I had to laugh when I read your post - the other day Finn bit Charlie and Charlie yelped - then turned and chased Finn out of the room for paybacks. I heard Finn yelp. They both walked into the kitchen with a tuft of fur hanging from their mouths!

Finn is such an imitator of Charlie, too. Finn will watch and then imitate certain behaviors. I just hope he doesn't start grooming every time Charlie grooms or imitate Charlie's over-grooming. I have noticed an improvement already in Charlie with his new supplements. Definitely less obsessive licking and chewing! Will keep you guys posted in case anyone else who has the same issue reads this later.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to try the calming chews you linked. I am always looking for something to help my crew. Zylkene works really well on 2 of them, but it's so expensive! Fingers crossed it will help to mellow them out.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This beauty showed up on my patio this morning:
Visitor2.jpg

Visitor.JPEG

I posted on my neighborhood page to see if anyone was missing her since she had a collar, concerned that she slipped out of someone's door. A very sweet neighbor came knocking on my door a few minutes later, apologetic. He said that his family had been letting the cat out during the day and letting her sleep in the laundry room at night because the cat was peeing on everything. They have taken her to the vet, and there are no UTI or crystals.

Does anyone have any experience with behavioral peeing? The household is a busy one - four kids, I believe, but good kids. Both Mom and Dad spend lots of time with the kiddos - very well-liked family in the neighborhood. So - sounds like it's a happy environment, just busy with the kiddos. No other pets. This little kitty is just a kitten - maybe a year old I'm going to nose around the site here in a bit, but I thought I would run this by those who I consider to be the experts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart!!
There's Kitten Attract litter they could try, and maybe different litter boxes, or placing the boxes (at least two) in different locations.

Plus they might look into feliway :) and cat music.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are using scented litter could try unscented, or a different type of litter (or brand.) (My daughter changed to a different litter scent and Bleu started peeing out of the box, went back to old scent and now fine.)
If the box is covered, try with no cover; try a bigger box; try with a cover; they should have at least two litter boxes- and maybe even try a third litter box.
She's so pretty!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also ask about how often the litter box is cleaned. As well as if it is in a safe location away from the kiddos. Also is the box covered or enclosed. Is there more than one box?

Even without crystals, does she have a UTI? Also could it be FLUTD? It's often caused by stress. Maybe some calming meds, Feliway or Feliway spray.

I would start with 2 boxes that are cleaned 2x daily. I would get a black light and look for places she has peed. Clean with enzymatic cleaner.

Do they play with her? Play therapy is so helpful.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I'm going to pass them along. I feel really bad for this kitty and for the family - having a cat pee all over the house has to be awful, no doubt. But to see this little girl outside, she is so petite. It's about as safe of a neighborhood as she could get, but if she were to wander, or if a wild animal were to wander in.. I did get the impression today that they were done trying to figure it out as he commented that they would probably be better suited to not have pets at all. I thought about trying to find a home for her (with their blessing), but no one I can think of would be willing to take on a cat with behavioral peeing issues, and I get the feeling that this issue takes real commitment to conquer. Still, I'm going to pass along the suggestions for the "cat attract" litter, adding a litter box, perhaps changing location and style of box.

Shadowsrescue, I hope the calming chews work as well for you as they're working for me. My guys are still picking on each other, but it's more of a brotherly picking and not as intense. Charlie is definitely less of a bully/stalker with the calming chews - the whole house was more peaceful today. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! What they all said about that beautiful little Calico! Calm for litter time is important, as you well know. All great advice for her. If they are letting her out during the day, returning to potty inside may have her wishing for a nice spot of dirt outside. Lol If they know where she goes potty outside, they can scoop a little bit of that to add to her box. With everyone home so much these days, stress is happening. Ask if she has a quiet place to sleep that is not near the litter boxes too. Sanctuary!
Hmmmm. What was your very first thought when you saw her? Besides, awwwww? Finn and Charlie have invited company over? New roomie? :thud:

Tell Finn to stop eating fur. No nutritional value. I laughed at your description of them both with tufts of fur sticking out of their mouths. I could totally picture those two doing that! Typical Charlie and Finn. :lol:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. What was your very first thought when you saw her? Besides, awwwww? Finn and Charlie have invited company over? New roomie? :thud:

Tell Finn to stop eating fur. No nutritional value. I laughed at your description of them both with tufts of fur sticking out of their mouths. I could totally picture those two doing that! Typical Charlie and Finn. :lol:
I'm copying and pasting all your responses into an email for them! If I thought they would be more receptive, I would fully invest in trouble-shooting with them on the daily and sharing all the tips I've learned from you guys. However, I just met them and don't want to be overbearing, and I do get the feeling they've given up. But if I get even a hint that they'd be willing to work with her, I'll be all over it.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , my first thought was that it was another lost kitty that made its way to me a couple years ago. I located its owner a few neighborhoods away and held it til they could come get her. She made her way back to me the following year - I thought this was her! Then I thought, "Oh man, I hope this doesn't make Charlie start spraying" - Charlie was growling, and Finn was pawing at the window. Couldn't figure out if Finn was being friendly or territorial. In NO WAY did I think 'new roommate' - LOL! :flail:Couldn't swing more food and vetting at this point, and I would be dangerously close to being a cliche around my neighborhood. Not to mention, I think of you every time I clean the litter box in the morning (they ignore the other two and only use one). Amazing what just two kitties can produce - I don't know how you manage it all with your bunch! Yeah, 2020 has been rough enough. I'm good.:p:hearthrob:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I kind of figured Aaaaaiiiiiiiieeeeee!

As to panning for gold, I cope by imagining, I am panning for gold. :lol: It goes fairly quickly once you have a routine in place. Besides, the cats love following me as I clean the boxes to make another deposit in the mine. If I ever get to a real mine, I expect to have lots of success since I have had practice.

I hope the neighbors will listen. Perhaps putting the kids on here to view the cat videos might start something? It would give the parents and kitty a quiet moment, except for some laughter. Ya never know......