I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time in the garage? He knew it was there before so I’m really thinking he is doing what BJ does. Something is outside of there. He is in antsy attack mode and feels a need to go out and chase something maybe? His aggression may be getting redirected because he can’t chase off intruders. Knowing his history, another cat is all it would take for him to be upset. I used to live in an area where my neighbors cat sprayed my front door constantly. I tried to work through it with the neighbor but no luck. I started spraying the wood trim of the door with lemon furniture polish to protect the wood. Turned out the cat hated the citrus scent and steered clear. You could try that on some wood areas outside. :dunno: If Finn does go in the garage, make certain you never open the outside door while he is in there. Never! If something is out there and he hears it he could go straight into attack mode and be out.
I know time is limited for exercise. I have to spend much time divided here. There is something I have been looking at that I think some of my cats would use. The wheel.” My fast cat “has them. It’s an investment and the kitty has to understand how to use it but it’s basically a giant hamster wheel. I kind of think Finn might be a good candidate for that. Just another thought. Try the citrus and see if that helps. We know that other cat is out there. He is probably coming near since all cats understand where there is a cat lover in a house.
My other thought is that you’ve been gone and then you were back. Maybe some “acting out” going on. Charlie giving a head washing is a good thing. Sign of caring.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do think it's likely my being gone so much and then suddenly being home all the time. When I'm home they're active; when I'm gone they probably sleep all day. Maybe learning how to 'navigate' around each other with the desired food dispenser (me) within reach at all times?

As for the garage, he's darted out before but he always lets me pick him up and take him back in. Today he darted out of reach constantly - he just wanted to be out and explore. There are no chemicals out there for him to get into, but I do have a bunch of spider traps set out as there are a lot of brown recluse spiders around here, and I didn't want him getting into them. I haven't seen any other cats around, but then I'm not glued to the windows like they are. Maybe he did see another cat and he wants to go play?? It sure would explain his antsy behavior.

I've seen those wheels, Jcatbird, they look so interesting! Would love to try one out, but even if I had the funds, it's a big risk to take to spend that kind of money on something that may not be used (we all know how cats are). Kind of like Finn's new cat tree. ;) And I literally have zero funds left for anything but necessities. I will be unable to even work part-time once my clinicals start - so no income whatsoever for 6 months.

What concerns me is that Finn has taken over Charlie's chair, and also the back of my chair where Charlie sits. Today I watched from another room on the monitor - Charlie jumped up onto the lower step of his cat tree and Finn quickly jumped up on the top bed where Charlie was headed. Charlie sat and stared for a long minute and finally went and laid somewhere else. It's breaking my heart that even as I type this, Finn is sitting in the hearth room where I am, and Charlie is laying by himself in the dark living room. He is literally attacked and stalked incessantly when he comes near me. I don't know what to do about this, but I will tell you that Charlie has my heart and that if I had to choose between the two, I would choose Charlie. Just letting you know where my heart is. I love them both and don't want either one of them feeling rejection, but I can't let my old boy be 'banished' like this by Finn's behavior. I'm just at a bit of a loss watching this play out.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will tell you another thing that's been bothering me. Remember when I went and had bloodwork done on Charlie, just to check and make sure that everything checked out and that wasn't the reason Finn was attacking him so much? His kidney values were borderline, so we had another test down and they came back fine. His bloodwork looks fine. And I even hesitate to say anything because I don't want to even speak life to anything that may not be there. Sometimes I just feel concern for Charlie. I can't put my finger on it. But there are days that I just don't think he feels well. Lethargic. Sometimes he walks like he's uncomfortable. He just doesn't act like the cat he was even 18 months ago. If his bloodwork checked out fine, is there anything else that could be ailing him? If you guys had concerns about one of your cats and bloodwork checked out fine, would you let it go? Or are there scans or other types of tests that should be done to rule anything out? The only other concerning behavior he shows is periodic vomiting. It has greatly reduced since I stopped the Dasuquin, but the other morning he ate his breakfast and then vomited it up and vomited a couple more times until all he threw up was a thick clear liquid. No hairball or anything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you find another vet?

For Charlie, I absolutely wouldn't let Finn take over like this. You say you don't know what to do, but you really need to step up on his behalf. Put Finn in another room, out in a spider trap-less garage, whatever. If he yells so be it, but Charlie needs, and deserves his time with you and he REALLY doesn't need all this stress in his life right now.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed that shutting Finn up at times is a necessary rest time for Charlie. I know it would be a constant for awhile but physically picking Finn up out of Charlie’s favorite spot on your chair and putting him down, getting Charlie and placing him there would show Finn that you support Charlie. If Finn attacks at that moment.... time out for Finn.
As for Charlie showing stress, we all know that can be almost anything. I always check if my spidey senses tingle. Funds are low so I know that may be hard but catching anything early is better. Knowing Charlie is declawed makes me wonder about paw pain. Vomiting might ease up if stress eases. I don’t know. How about trying a day without Finn running free? I would let the vet know about the vomiting, try time away from Finn, maybe especially while eating and insist to Finn that Charlie has a spot to call his own. You know I live with a cage available for Precious. Lol I don’t love having it out but Precious requires time out. The peace and quiet that it affords makes up for living with a cat space. The other bedroom may be better in your case. I am totally confident that you can grab the kitty by the horns and get things settled. Remember that Finn is still just a teenager by kitty standards. :devilcat:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you ladies so much. That's just what I needed to hear.
It's not an issue with my vet as I never mentioned that my spidey senses were tingling because I had nothing to base it on. I thought if the bloodwork came back normal then I was probably being paranoid. Funds are low for a long while, but I will sell stuff if I need to in order to get him tests if he needed them and if I knew which ones he needed. Getting some weight off him is back high on my priority list, so challenging. I do think he'll have less pain and move more if he gets weight off, and perhaps be more athletic. I hope that's all it is.

Finn is so naughty - when he acts out, he won't let me get near him. He darts away - he knows he's done wrong! And he's impossible to catch. The other day when he was a hellion I was able to chase him into my bedroom and shut the door for a time out. Poor little teenager - growing up is hard! But I needed to hear that I need to stand up for Charlie. It's such a delicate balance between 'staying out of it' and letting them work it out and then not letting Finn take over altogether. Thank you thank you for your well-timed advice! :heartshape:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
get him tests if he needed them and if I knew which ones he needed.
I don't know, but maybe a conversation with your vet?
I would let the vet know about the vomiting,
And about this
Lethargic. Sometimes he walks like he's uncomfortable. He just doesn't act like the cat he was even 18 months ago. If his bloodwork checked out fine, is there anything else that could be ailing him?
I know what you mean about not saying anything, but...maybe work out a payment plan?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Finn is so naughty - when he acts out, he won't let me get near him. He darts away - he knows he's done wrong! And he's impossible to catch. The other day when he was a hellion I was able to chase him into my bedroom and shut the door for a time out. Poor little teenager - growing up is hard!
Is it possible to get a blanket over Finn when he needs to be contained? Then you can just pick up the ball of cat with the blanket where he is. I've had that work in the past to "catch" a kitty who doesn't want to be "caught."

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Take notes. Lethargy, vomiting and walks as though something feels wrong. Remind the vet of the declawing and that he is probably under stress with the adjustment. Tell the vet every product you have used for calming too. Perhaps another calming product might be available or something might be in order for nausea or pain for a couple of days if no other issues are in place. A phone call to the vet might help? Sometimes mine will give me some suggestions to try.

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I'll keep a close eye on things. I have a huge skill assessment tomorrow that makes or breaks my entire program. Another less scary one on Tuesday. I'll then have more time to assess these guys. Finn just got out of a time out and he is wild, almost wired. The two cats were sitting in the kitchen waiting for their bedtime snack when Finn just jumped Charlie and left another clump of fur on the kitchen floor. I was able to grab him and carry him to the room for a time out while I fed Charlie. Made him wait for a while before feeding him. He's now tearing around the house, climbing my tall fake tree, just being a little Tasmanian devil. Charlie has hopped up on a cube and is watching warily, staying out of his way. If they settle down drastically once my finals are over, then I'll know they're just feeding off my stress. But Finn does need correction - and stimulation. He's a handful. Thanks again, and say a prayer for me tomorrow, please! 🙏

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You probably won't see this before your assessment today, but sending positive thoughts your way. :goodluck:

I haven't been posting much lately, as with my zero experience integrating cats, there's little I can offer. But I am reading every post. :hugs:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I'm prepping at home this morning and heading in for assessment this afternoon. I've prepared as much as I possibly can, but skill assessments are such a crapshoot; lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. Perhaps that's a large part of it, to see how you adapt to the unexpected. So I'm self-soothing by looking at kitty pics on here, ahhhhhh.

Finn is slightly better today - he has had two time-outs for jumping Charlie and leaving clumps of fur behind. I do think the time-outs make an impression as Finn accidentally bumped into Charlie and Charlie thought he was about to be jumped so he gave a mighty hiss...Finn whipped around and looked at me with big, alarmed eyes like, "I didn't do it!!" So he knows. ;) And the pounces have lessened for now.

Well, I've filled up on kitty pics and calmed my nerves nicely. It's about time to start gathering my things. If you pray, I would appreciate a prayer said for me! This assessment is the one that determines whether or not I move forward to clinicals. 🙏🙏🙏

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it is done. Thank you for the confidence and the well-wishes! The grading rubric was 18 pages long - so many details - one of those things where you walk out and think, "I literally have no idea what the outcome of this will be!" I won't know how I did til grades are released, so will be on pins and needles til then.

True to form, the boys disappeared from camera not long after I left. They have done much better tonight since I got home. They seem to figure it out when I'm gone and have come to an understanding again, as Finn has been minding his business tonight and not attacking Charlie.

Charlie and I are ready for bed and Finn is nowhere to be found. That's been happening for the last few nights - Finn won't sleep with us any longer. I've gotten up and prowled the house in the middle of the night looking for him, and I'm not sure where he goes, but it's not with us. What does this mean, I wonder?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I cannot figure these two out for the life of me. I went and found Finn and carried him back to bed. He used Charlie as a pillow for a few minutes. Now he’s moved to the other side of the bed. We’ll see if he stays. I don’t understand all the flying fur this week, and then suddenly tonight they lay next to each other?
6381CB96-74D7-43EC-8829-952E30997034.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finn is gone at night and what does it mean? Probably means he is a teenage boy on the prowl. ;) My cats sometimes beg me to climb in bed and other times I hear things being knocked over, pushed around and tumbled around in the dark. Silence happens on rare occassions. Very rare but with this many it makes me wonder too. Lol

Fur flying before that stress test? :headscratch: Test is over and they are cuddling? Gotta be coincidence. Lol

It could be related but also, you reminded Finn that you are Mom and he gets time out if he’s pulling out fur. When you mentioned earlier how Charlie yelled and Finn gave you the ,” I didn’t do it” look I had to smile. They understand a lot! I think the time periods really help. Finn came out excited to run and possibly appreciating his time with you both a bit more. Missed you both and the space to run. Kitties! We do have to think about them don’t we. :lol: Perhaps that’s part of their plan.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finn is gone at night and what does it mean? Probably means he is a teenage boy on the prowl. ;) My cats sometimes beg me to climb in bed and other times I hear things being knocked over, pushed around and tumbled around in the dark. Silence happens on rare occassions. Very rare but with this many it makes me wonder too. Lol

Fur flying before that stress test? :headscratch: Test is over and they are cuddling? Gotta be coincidence. Lol

It could be related but also, you reminded Finn that you are Mom and he gets time out if he’s pulling out fur. When you mentioned earlier how Charlie yelled and Finn gave you the ,” I didn’t do it” look I had to smile. They understand a lot! I think the time periods really help. Finn came out excited to run and possibly appreciating his time with you both a bit more. Missed you both and the space to run. Kitties! We do have to think about them don’t we. :lol: Perhaps that’s part of their plan.
I always look forward to what you have to say! I don't always have an adequate response, but I always check in for your "take"on things and your opinion. I did think about the stress level with my exams playing into it, and I do think they are sensitive to my stress. Yet the stress is still there as exams aren't over, and they're doing so much better since I left the house and left them alone yesterday, so there's still a bit of a mystery. I had been gone the entire week before that and they had been alone a lot; maybe they worked out their equilibrium and then I showed up and threw the dynamics off again.

Two days ago that picture popped up on my memories - the one when I saw Finn on my back porch for the first time and snapped a pic to send to my neighbor and ask if she knew who's cat this was. He was full-grown then, and that was a year ago on Dec 8. So is a kitten full grown at 6 months of age - might he have been around 6 months old when I snapped that pic? I'm trying to estimate his age. Vet said between 1-2 years old. I'm wondering if he's pretty close to a year and a half - trying to figure out a timeline for his behaviors, lol. How much more biting, scratching, wild child time we have left before he chills out a bit..I don't begrudge him his youth, though. It is very cute to see him jump straight up in the air like a kitten does with his toys and zoom around the house with a kittenish gait - I don't want to wish this time away too soon, I might look back on it one day and miss it. ;)

Here's the pic that popped up on my memories. See? Full grown even a year ago, but so kittenish a year later..
Finn.jpg.PNG

And look how sickly he looked 6 months later when I saw him hanging around my house again. Hard to see here, but he was so skinny!
Finn2.jpg

Last edited: