I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They’re still working things out. Lol I love snuggle times! Are the cat trees together? If not, try putting them close, if they are, trying moving them apart and also try playing with Finn on his. I do find some of my cats like them and others don’t. It’s like that with almost everything I buy the cats for fun. Some hits, some duds.:lol: Kitties! Catnip on the trees can help.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They’re still working things out. Lol I love snuggle times! Are the cat trees together? If not, try putting them close, if they are, trying moving them apart and also try playing with Finn on his. I do find some of my cats like them and others don’t. It’s like that with almost everything I buy the cats for fun. Some hits, some duds.:lol: Kitties! Catnip on the trees can help.
I wanted to put the cat trees together and tried, but in order for them to fit and both have a window view, the chaise had to be pushed right up against the wall and it really looked awful. The only way for both trees to have a window was to separate them. Now, I could move them close together with only one side having a view; do you think that would fly, or just cause competition?
I thought about moving the tree to another room altogether, maybe the home office. I kind of hate the way the living room looks with 2 cat trees, but I'll keep it that way they use the trees. So far there's always one empty tree. Ah well, we'll figure it out. ;)

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi friends! I'm so sorry for the delay in response - Thanksgiving holiday now in the midst of final exams. I had my classmate staying with me this week as well, so it's been busy - by this time next week I'll be done with school and ready to start full-time clinicals in January! It's 6 am and I'm sitting in front of the fireplace with both cats - this is pretty big considering mornings have always been the toughest. It's the first morning we've tried being together this early. We had one butt-biting incident (Finn bit Charlie for which he received a thumping his head) but they are now both grooming themselves.

Something happened while I was at school this week, and I think they crossed the threshold over into friendship. Wish I knew what it was! Every day I would check the camera and they were NEVER in the main living area with the cat trees and camera! I have no idea what they were doing. My curiosity was piqued, so yesterday, I moved the camera to the hearth room - the only other room with seating that they use. And wouldn't you know it, they must have moved back to the living room, because they were nowhere to be found on camera yesterday. Whatever they've been up to, they seem to be getting along better. They both greet me at the door when I come home, and they sit in that "kitty infinity" shape waiting for me to feed them in the kitchen. I'm glad, because I just found a good sized scab coming off Charlie's back - from either Finn's nails or his teeth. So I'm relieved that those scrapping days seem to be drawing to an end.

I'm not able to get the Dasuquin into Charlie - every time I use it, he throws up his food or won't eat it. I think the kindest thing I can do is get some weight off him and those joints. We were making progress until the full-time integration process, where they started getting more treats, and I think we've gone backwards because he doesn't look as trim and he looks like his joints hurt. I have a month before clinicals start to really regulate his feeding times and portions. However, I wonder if I shouldn't start moving them toward the feeding times they'll have when I start clinicals? I cannot ask my mother to come over and feed them every day - that's a 40 minute round trip - not going to do that. What do people do who don't feed kibble and are gone all day? I did get those Wopet feeders, but I'm afraid Finn would just polish off both meals. He will push Charlie out of the way and eat his food out from under him - I've seen that happen. And I'm afraid it could potential cause fights. I'll have to leave the house at 6 am for my first clinical rotation. Return home around 5 pm. That is a long time. I could feed them at 6 am, 5 pm, and again at 10 pm? But that 11 hour stretch with no food - I don't know what to do about that. I am open to suggestions! Any ideas?

I may be slow in response until I'm through with finals, but always grateful for your input, and looking forward to getting caught up on the happenings I've missed!

💕

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy to hear the boys are getting along better. :catlove: And chuckled at their apparent camera shyness. :catman:

About the long periods of time between feedings, I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Especially if you're concerned Finn will eat any of Charlie's food. Maybe post a new thread in the Cat Nutrition forum where some different members might see it, and also possibly benefit from the replies.

Good luck with your exams.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear the boys are getting along better. :catlove: And chuckled at their apparent camera shyness. :catman:

About the long periods of time between feedings, I'm afraid I don't have the answer. Especially if you're concerned Finn will eat any of Charlie's food. Maybe post a new thread in the Cat Nutrition forum where some different members might see it, and also possibly benefit from the replies.

Good luck with your exams.
Will do!

Cute little tidbit just happened. I noticed both of the boys were missing...again. No sign of them at any of their hangouts. Went searching the house for them and found them BOTH sitting on the much-coveted, hidden window ledge, surveying the outdoors...together!! They used to tussle over this ledge. :happycat:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Will do!

Cute little tidbit just happened. I noticed both of the boys were missing...again. No sign of them at any of their hangouts. Went searching the house for them and found them BOTH sitting on the much-coveted, hidden window ledge, surveying the outdoors...together!! They used to tussle over this ledge. :happycat:
That is cute indeed! Very good to hear of the progress. :banana2: I don't have a feeding answer either. I have 3 different types of eaters, also. A piggie who eats everything (Mooshoo), a semi-grazer (Waffles), and a total grazer- a few bites at a time (Gracie.) Moo and Waffles I can handle, but once they are all three fully integrated am just baffled what to do. So I'm interested to see what you figure out :think:.
I am thinking of a microchip feeder for Gracie ($$$$$).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow congrats on clinicals as well as the cats!!! What wonderful updates!!

I had to stop with the dasuquin for my boy as well, it upset his stomach.

I'd move them towards what your January and going forward feeding schedule will be.

Or, you could try getting a big three sided tub of sorts, upside down and install a (maybe these are available readymade) a cat door, coordinate a collar chip to it and put a timed feeder inside, maybe two of these setups one for each cat. I'd found a feeder awhile back with six slots that could be programmed to open throughout the day. Small portions more frequently will help each cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's just precious. :redheartpump::catlove:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had to change schedules before too. I would start slowly shifting the schedule now. Do it as you can to get them adjusted.
The other trick I use is like an Easter egg hunt. I hide food. (Just don’t forget you tucked a plate of stinky food under your favorite morning coffee spot! :lol: In case it doesn’t get eaten. ) I have gobblers, piggies and grazers. I touch small amounts on top of high places for my athletic cats and under furniture for my older ones. Secret food stashed in small amounts make the kitties hunt for their food ( exercise) eat in small servings and the chances of everyone finding something are greatly increased. Give Finn a regular amount before you stash the rest and do it while he is eating. Might work but then, cats know everything!:thumbsup: They knew you were watching on camera and knew you moved it!:flail:They are soooo smart! Very glad to hear the latest. Also glad you are nearly through with school!:clap2: You’vebeen doing a lot of juggling so I know it will be a relief to move to the next step. Funny, just as the pressure is about to ease up on you with school, the kitties give you a break! They do know everything!:bicolorcat::redheartpump::bicolorcat:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I spoke too soon. They have been "at each other" a LOT over the last few days. I wonder if this happened while I was gone during the day and I just never witnessed it? I've been home all day every day for the last couple days doing some intense prep for finals. They usually calm down by evening. A couple days ago, Finn would not give Charlie a break. He was pouncing Charlie constantly - I don't think Charlie was feeling well that day, and he would yelp and run away every time; by the late afternoon I found him sleeping in a box, just trying to find some peace I guess. By that night, he had had enough and he instigated a run-in with Finn, and Finn retreated. I couldn't figure out if Finn had been physically hurt, or if his feelings were just hurt, but he came and sat on the back of a chair with his head sunk down on his shoulders and eyes closed like he didn't feel good. I'll post the benign-looking vid, but the tension was actually quite high in person. Don't know why the quality is so low - it's from my monitor.

Just this morning they really tussled - both of them yelping. I had to put a mat between them and they both sidestepped the mat and went into the next room to continue. Afterward, they both did return to the hearth room, at least, but they laid on other sides of the room. Finn looks pretty dejected. After about 20-30 minutes, Charlie came over to him and licked the top of his head. Finn allowed it. What does this mean?

How long will they be "working it out" - how long is normal for this process...ballpark time? Should I be concerned? I'm finding clumps of Charlie's hair all over the house. When I've seen them tussle, I think Finn pulls it out with his mouth - he always has a mouthful of fur when they're done. There was one night Finn was sitting on me, and he just out of the blue bit my wrist hard enough to barely break the skin. I was surprised - I scruffed him reflexively and hissed. He was a complete hellion the next day - that's the day he was going after Charlie all day long. Then the day after that (yesterday) he was a total angel. No spats. Today they're back at it. I don't know what's going on..

clump.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After about 20-30 minutes, Charlie came over to him and licked the top of his head. Finn allowed it. What does this mean?
I personally think that you'll need to continue to keep an eye on Finn and intervene when you're detecting that he's going overboard. Those mouthfuls of fur aren't good.

It could be changing weather patterns, something happening outside that he can detect, stress on your part, there are a number of things that could cause him to feel more "antsy", including pain, thinking of him looking dejected and sitting with his eyes closed. You might check Finn for a bite wound, actually it might be worthwhile to doublecheck both of them if you haven't.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally think that you'll need to continue to keep an eye on Finn and intervene when you're detecting that he's going overboard. Those mouthfuls of fur aren't good.

It could be changing weather patterns, something happening outside that he can detect, stress on your part, there are a number of things that could cause him to feel more "antsy", including pain, thinking of him looking dejected and sitting with his eyes closed. You might check Finn for a bite wound, actually it might be worthwhile to doublecheck both of them if you haven't.
Thanks, Fuballsmom. I worry more about Charlie getting bitten since Finn is such a biter, but Charlie is super fluffy and has a layer of fat over his plentiful fur - and he hates to be held and won't sit still for a thorough check. It's challenging. I do rub my hands over his body every chance I get to feel for any swelling or heat coming off any particular area.

Finn just darted out the door into the garage when I went to take the trash out. He refused to come back inside - something he hasn't done before. I left him out there and closed the door for a couple minutes, thinking he would be grateful to be inside once again and maybe settle down. Nope. I had to go fetch him and now he's sitting crying at the door. He's super angsty and unhappy today. I do think he still misses the outdoors and is bored inside. I just don't have the time to keep playing with him right now, and when he does try to occupy himself, he gets in trouble for it (climbing my drapes, my indoor trees, clawing my furniture, etc). Poor Finn.