I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's another vid from my camera roll today. I assume that cats tails are very sensitive, and that they can feel their tails touching, no? This vid was taken right after Finn jumped up on the chaise and Charlie tried to hiss him off. Finn stayed and started swatting the toy in his cage for a bit, kind of saying, "I won't pounce ya, but I ain't leaving" ... and then he left. Ha! Still, the tail-touching - good thing?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another vid from my camera roll today. I assume that cats tails are very sensitive, and that they can feel their tails touching, no? This vid was taken right after Finn jumped up on the chaise and Charlie tried to hiss him off. Finn stayed and started swatting the toy in his cage for a bit, kind of saying, "I won't pounce ya, but I ain't leaving" ... and then he left. Ha! Still, the tail-touching - good thing?
I know whenever I touch my cats' tails by accident they certainly know it! So I would bet at least Charlie knew tails were touching. And didn't mind. What a great video! Both there and peaceful (after the hissing.) These videos are cool, The Adventures of Charlie and Finn.

Regarding paper bag- sounds like a winner of an idea. Mooshoo loves them and is really funny with them. If she can't get in one she'll pounce on it and bat at it. Another thing I do for her is keep cardboard boxes when I order something online, and leave the packing paper in it, leave the box open on the floor. She entertains herself jumping in and out, attacking the paper, or just laying in it. Waffles could not care less about boxes and bags.

MooBox.jpg

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All good! I bet if the bunny had been out there, Finn would have stayed. This is progress! Finn seemed pretty calm.
Yay! And Jcatbird, I think you were on to something when you mentioned he might have Siamese in him, or that his voice sounded Siamese and that they're active cats. I was reading up on personality traits of Siamese and it fits Finn to a "T"!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know whenever I touch my cats' tails by accident they certainly know it! So I would bet at least Charlie knew tails were touching. And didn't mind. What a great video! Both there and peaceful (after the hissing.) These videos are cool, The Adventures of Charlie and Finn.

Regarding paper bag- sounds like a winner of an idea. Mooshoo loves them and is really funny with them. If she can't get in one she'll pounce on it and bat at it. Another thing I do for her is keep cardboard boxes when I order something online, and leave the packing paper in it, leave the box open on the floor. She entertains herself jumping in and out, attacking the paper, or just laying in it. Waffles could not care less about boxes and bags.

View attachment 304369
Ooooh, Mooshoo is a tux! Such a beautiful girl! I have a soft spot for tuxedos - my first love was a tuxedo, so I'm biased. ;) Isn't it funny how they're all so different. Yours sound kind of polar opposite like Finn and Charlie! Thought I've noticed that things Charlie previously turned his nose up at are now catching his interest since Finn has showed interest.
Now we just need a pic of Waffles!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only time he stopped was when I made a kitty burrito with a blanket...my cat has sensory issues.
Have you heard of Thunder Shirts? Might be something to look into. ThunderShirt Classic Cat Anxiety Jacket | ThunderWorks

I did a search on here and there was someone else who was having this issue with their cat. They didn't find any solutions and quit posting - I didn't want to resurrect a year-old thread or I would have asked if they ever figured it out.
There's no reason not to resurrect it, and ask if they figured it out. Just tag/mention them in the thread, and even if they haven't been here for a while, they might get the email notification and respond. And even if they don't, someone else might see the thread and comment. So worth a shot.

Course if Finn's has Siamese genes, you might just have to learn to live with his constant chatter. :catman:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Waffles: They are also in my avatar, one of the few times they've laid down right together. Mooshoo has one all white front leg and one all black front leg.
Waffles is a beaut! Waffles looks just like Charlie in the face! Sweet and ornery! :lol: It's funny you mention one white and one black leg on Mooshoo. I sent a pic of Finn to my mom and she asked what happened to Finn's "eyebrows" (whiskers) on the one side of his face. When I looked at the pic I sent, I gasped. They were missing, and I'd never even noticed it! I went to his room to get a better look at the situation and laughed. Whiskers on one side are white and the other side are black, and the black don't show up in pictures.
Have you heard of Thunder Shirts? Might be something to look into.
I am tempted! He freaked out so badly when I tried putting a collar on him that I just assumed a thunder shirt would be off limits. Still, might be worth a try if I can't get the crying under control.
There's no reason not to resurrect it, and ask if they figured it out. Just tag/mention them in the thread, and even if they haven't been here for a while, they might get the email notification and respond. And even if they don't, someone else might see the thread and comment. So worth a shot.
Good thinking - thanks Rubysmama! I will try to go back and find it - hopefully they've found a solution!
Course if Finn's has Siamese genes, you might just have to learn to live with his constant chatter. :catman:
You know, I spent some more time reading up on Siamese and the resemblance in personality characteristics is so strong. The intelligence, the strong bond to owner, the vocalization sounds, the liking to stalk and pounce, agile and athletic and they don't like to be confined. Finn's intelligence has always struck me from the beginning. And his athleticism. He NEEDS to be kept busy. The only time he stops crying for any length of time is when he's playing. I can handle him chatting with me, but he yowling and crying OMW. It's really bad. But it's going to improve. Words have power, right? Just have to put the right ones out there.
Your doing good! keep it up, they will be friends!!
I sure hope so, Walli! I think I may have helicoptered enough that I've given them the idea that they aren't allowed to play. If they are looking playful and I walk in the room, they both "straighten up" and look innocent, like I just caught them doing something wrong. Poor guys!! How are they ever supposed to play like cats with a mom around that won't let them tussle? :dance:

Suuuure, I can joke about it now when they've gone two days without a tussle! ;) I really do think putting that Bach's flower essence directly on their skin at the nape of their neck is helping. And maybe the CBD is kicking in?? Not sure but I'll take it!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was cruising the site in the waiting room as I waited for a doctor appointment and I saw this. I thought immediately of Finn. I thought you might want to follow it. Also, I often go back on threads to ask about things. Never hurts to try! It wouldn’t hurt to try a thunder shirt either. Lady loves her dress harness. Two of my cats love their flea collars and BJ likes to wear glasses and hats! Go figure! :lol: My Purry is part Siamese and has that loud meow too. When he was young, it was an adventure.If Finn is part Siamese, age helps. For now, there is this.
Tips and Tricks for Managing High Prey Drive

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Waffles is a beaut! Waffles looks just like Charlie in the face! Sweet and ornery! :lol: It's funny you mention one white and one black leg on Mooshoo. I sent a pic of Finn to my mom and she asked what happened to Finn's "eyebrows" (whiskers) on the one side of his face. When I looked at the pic I sent, I gasped. They were missing, and I'd never even noticed it! I went to his room to get a better look at the situation and laughed. Whiskers on one side are white and the other side are black, and the black don't show up in pictures.
Yes he's a handsome guy. Not being neutered till 2 years old he has that shapely cat head and cheeks. And he's the sweetest lap cat. To me anyway.
Funny about the whiskers!!! One thing that drew me to Moo was her legs and the black spot on her nose. Plus her goofiness, I don't think there's a lot of brains there :lovecat2: did i really say that?

I don't know, I had a cat in the past that really rebelled against a harness but then got used to it just fine. Maybe the thundershirt might be worth a try.

I hope the CBD is working!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Super excited to post a good report! I honestly don't know if it's the Bach's remedies being placed directly on their skin, or if it's the CBD oil, or the calming collar + relaxivet diffuser that's making the difference, but this is day 3 of no tussles. And tonight while I was making dinner, they were chasing each other around the house in a playful way! We're getting there!! And I think the running around the house with no tussles breaking out makes them both feel less threatened, and so Finn had longer breaks between his bouts of crying - I definitely think his anxiety exacerbates his meowing/crying/yowling. I can't put my finger on exactly any one thing, but the whole evening felt different, less stressful, and more relaxed, and happier cats. I'll post a vid of Charlie attempting to surprise Finn, and it was friendly! Soon after that the chasing around the house began.

If Finn is part Siamese, age helps. For now, there is this.
Ooooh, age does help? I feel like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber, "So you're saaaaaying there's a chance!" :lol:
Tonight was better! Still a lot of constant and persistent crying, but the few times he was quiet, he was quiet for longer. I smell progress!!
Plus her goofiness, I don't think there's a lot of brains there :lovecat2: did i really say that?
Okay, that made me laugh! Hey, goofiness and lovey-ness can be a great substitute for brains in cats - not as much time trying to outsmart them. :tongue:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! They looked like they were old friends! In a way, they are but through the window. The different remedies are paving the way but time is your friend. Each day they know each other a little better. This vid is one of my favorites. It seemed calm and natural. Two cats just passing the time of day. I expect the running is helping to release some of the pent up energy for Finn. An ounce of Siamese equals a need for activity. If he feels free to have the zoomies then I think his crying will diminish. I don’t think he will totally stop calling but if he did, bet you would find yourself talking to him! :lol: Things really do calm a lot as they get through their teenage period. One day Finn will be an old man and you might be encouraging zoomies.
Soooo you’ll be adding a full blooded Siamese to the group? 😁

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another quick question for you guys.
The cats have been doing really well. This would be day 5 of no tussles. Finn has been out since I got home (almost 3 hours).
He still yowls and meows a LOT. Tonight he started doing it incessantly again with an urgency that worried Charlie. Charlie came to check on him then actually seemed to try to get him interested in his toys by tapping one of Finn's toys then going and laying down a ways away.

I pressed a button on another interactive toy, And Finn came over to Charlie and they sniffed each other; Charlie was sniffing Finn's feet, And Finn was sniffing the top of Charlie's head. Charlie curled a paw underneath of him to relax, and I was actually hopeful that Finn would actually settle down next to him. Instead, he pounced on top of Charlie and bit him; Charlie yelped and cried and ran away.

I was SO MAD - I actually scruffed Finn and took him back to his room. They were making such progress and it was so unnecessary. When I emerged from Finn's room, I found Charlie licking the area where Finn bit him. I picked him up and carried him back to my room to love him up, but he started growling. When I put him down, he ran back to Finn's door and started crying at Finn's door. So I let Finn back out and loved them both up. Can someone decipher all this for me? Finn's biting Charlie out of the blue when Charlie was in a really compromised position, then Charlie growling at me when I picked him up and running back to Finn's room crying at the door??

I know I'm not supposed to interfere and I know it can make it worse when I do. Since then, Finn has been crying inconsolably. He also charged Charlie once more, but other than that they've passed in the hallway several times without incident.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Edit to add: no sooner had I typed this than Finn came into my room, I loved him up really good, we walked out of my room and Charlie was sitting there waiting, he had more of a companionable, patient air about him (Charlie). They both turned and started walking side by side, then Finn turned, jumped on Charlie's hind end and bit his back. Charlie cried and moved away but didn't run. What is going on? I just don't speak Cat.