I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seeing the gate from Finns side gave me an idea, if you can put something at the top that comes in towards the room (think cat proof fencing) he won't be able to get over it. I know your not able to do it right now, but it just came to mind.
Good to hear Finn is doing well! Charlie too!

I named the street Feral that I still have to neuter after Charlie, but he actually looks more like Finn! That cat needs to show up on Trap day!!
2 months in a row, he's been a no show! arg!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It kind of makes me think of two male versions of Banjo. She’s a handful, keeps me on my toes and I have never gone a day without smiling. I wouldn’t trade having rescued her for anything.
I thought that the very first time I read about Banjo! Reminded me of Charlie's spunky personality and I fell in love instantly!

I still would like to see if you can find a way to observe Finn in the cage if he thinks you are gone.
I did find a baby monitor on sale for cheap on Amazon this morning. It will be here tomorrow! I have to take Charlie back to the vet tomorrow as they broke the vial of his blood, so he has to do another blood draw and go through all that stress again, poor guy. :( I hope the camera is waiting on my porch when I get home so we can get this experiment underway.

Taking 2 cats to the vet at the same time to try to have them bond over the "trauma" has been suggested in other threads before. So it might have helped.
I had no idea!! I do think it helped, but I think that's wearing off, now. Finn is getting really grouchy with being cooped up, and I don't blame him. It's been 2 months that he's been shut in that room, and I've run out of toys and ways to keep him mentally stimulated. I have to take Charlie back to vet tomorrow; I'm tempted to take Finn along for the ride and for another "bonding" experience but don't want to stress him too much. Should I take him just for the car ride, I wonder? Hmmmm

I named the street Feral that I still have to neuter after Charlie, but he actually looks more like Finn! That cat needs to show up on Trap day!!
Awww, a hybrid of Charlie/Finn! You will have to tag me when you trap him, I would love to see!!

Finn reminds me of Shadow. So sweet but just a little bit mischievous
Oh, sweet and LOT mischievous! If your Shadow is half as mischievous as Finn we are both in trouble. :lol:

I got a cute vid tonight. If you look at the bottom left corner of the screen you can see Charlie laying on his side and trying to get Finn's attention - cute moment follows. It wasn't long after that that Finn tried to climb the gate, I reached him just as he reached the top and brought him back down and boy was he MAD at me - he even swatted my face! Then sat on the bed and gave me really angry glares and screamed at me. Didn't meow - it was a definite scream-yowl. Mad, I tell you! Here's the sweet moment, though:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was straight out playing together! :yess: Love the video!

Taking Finn with Charlie..... hmmmm. I actually do take my kitties for rides that do not end up with being stuck, poked or prodded to teach them that not all rides mean a vet check. There is an advantage too that both will carry the vet office scent. Banjo and Whistle get upset if I don’t take them together. There is a stress factor for Finn but if he is feeling stressed at being shut in, I’d be tempted to give him an outing. It’s a judgement call. If his eating, pee and all else is good, I’d do it. He will not be poked and he will be very happy to return but also to go back into his room. I think I see more pluses than minuses provided he wasn’t terribly upset at the last trip. He may have sympathy for Charlie since he will get poked. Could be another bonding time. Finn actually seems much calmer with Charlie in the video.
I think having the monitor will be helpful even after Finn is loose in the house. They make great tools to have with the kitties and I still use mine at the opposite end of the house to stay aware of the cat activities! Lol

Shadow reminds me a lot of your kitties. His sense of humor and IQ are things you would appreciate. You and Catzmeow Catzmeow have had some similar experiences in dealing with socializing and integrating.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was straight out playing together! :yess: Love the video!

Taking Finn with Charlie..... hmmmm. I actually do take my kitties for rides that do not end up with being stuck, poked or prodded to teach them that not all rides mean a vet check. There is an advantage too that both will carry the vet office scent. Banjo and Whistle get upset if I don’t take them together. There is a stress factor for Finn but if he is feeling stressed at being shut in, I’d be tempted to give him an outing. It’s a judgement call. If his eating, pee and all else is good, I’d do it. He will not be poked and he will be very happy to return but also to go back into his room. I think I see more pluses than minuses provided he wasn’t terribly upset at the last trip. He may have sympathy for Charlie since he will get poked. Could be another bonding time. Finn actually seems much calmer with Charlie in the video.
I think having the monitor will be helpful even after Finn is loose in the house. They make great tools to have with the kitties and I still use mine at the opposite end of the house to stay aware of the cat activities! Lol

Shadow reminds me a lot of your kitties. His sense of humor and IQ are things you would appreciate. You and Catzmeow Catzmeow have had some similar experiences in dealing with socializing and integrating.
Okay, then vet it is for lil Finn, you settled it. Thanks, Jcatbird! Poor Charlie, I just feel so bad for the extra stress and the extra poke. But silver lining - extra bonding opportunity. ;)

Yes, I think Finn is much calmer with Charlie, also! I definitely think that last vet visit helped. Thank you for the baby monitor idea. I do think it will be needed to watch them during introductions and beyond. It's also not a bad idea to have them for when I leave the house, anyway. I came home the other day and found that the door hadn't latched when I left and was standing wide open! Sheer panic; I ran inside calling for Charlie, couldn't find him anywhere. He emerged later; he was scared and hiding. I hate that he was traumatized by his time "on the street" but am so glad that it keeps him inside. No desire to escape with that one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see you've already made up your mind, but I was going to say "yes, take Finn to the vet too". At the very least they'll both come home with the vet scent. And best case scenario, more bonding.

That last video was definite progress. Even to my inexperienced with multiple cats opinion, it looked like playing.

Good luck today.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow. Just home from the vet and I can say I never had a real appreciation for the miracle of kitty litter odor-control until I got pooped on after the vet appt and had to drive home with it. Since Charlie has a "Cat-in-the-Bag" carrier and pooped all over himself, it was a real adventure getting him out of that. My first instinct was to grab him and put him in the laundry sink to bathe him before he got it everywhere. Massive fight with lots of growls, violent thrashing, and nails until I repented of my wicked ways - all the while Finn watching in horror from his carrier. I am now bandaging up my cuts while Charlie lays giving himself a bath and me a hairy eyeball. I did manage to give Charlie some forbidden kibble which he cannot will not ever resist - and wiped him down with a wet paper towel with Dawn while he ate all his feelings. Wowza. After all that, I can still say that the worst part was the smell. Off I go to my MRI now - no time to shower - praying like crazy that the smell is not clinging to me. :paranoid:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw! Charlie is so cool! Finn is so blessed to have him as a future pal!
I will get pics of all my Street Ferals when I can, the 2 in the morning are becoming more trusting. just wish I could get Walli to trust me!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think this is a good start! At one point Finn stuck his legs out and Charlie nipped them. Then another point Charlie stood on his hind legs and put his face to Finn's and Finn nipped at him. They're both like, "We cool, bro, but back up"
This pic makes me smile.

And Finn's face here cracks me up:

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a great photo! Both just chilling. Charlie is so interested in Finn. This is what I found when I used cages. They can be together without any concerns but get to know each other, up close and personal. And you don’t have to constantly be on alert. :banana1:
The video is priceless. The look Finn gives. :lol: Kind of a Banjo look! I think Charlie and Finn have a lot in common!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is such a great photo! Both just chilling. Charlie is so interested in Finn. This is what I found when I used cages. They can be together without any concerns but get to know each other, up close and personal. And you don’t have to constantly be on alert. :banana1:
The video is priceless. The look Finn gives. :lol: Kind of a Banjo look! I think Charlie and Finn have a lot in common!
Like a love for bunny rabbits?
This is happening right now. I’ve never loved a bunny more in my life...

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bonding over bunny! We probably all hung out there for a good 30 minutes, and I think both cats enjoyed the moment. We need more of these! I love this pic as the sun started to set.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figured out a way to jerry-rig the shelving so that I could leave the door to Finn's room open today. I put a baby gate at the top of the door and had the extra tall one at the bottom. I placed the shelving flat against the gates and used a ribbon to tie both ends to the baby gate. When Finn wasn't in his cage, he was in his room with the door open. It can be difficult because he sits at the door and cries continuously - he wants out. And I say this with great love for him, but the little dude does have the most irritating pitch to his cries - it will rub my nerves raw.

So tonight I was in the living room working on changing the shelves in his cage and I turned on my music to drown out the sound of his meowling. Lo and behold, I turn around and he's standing right there in the living room with, tail waving side to side in the air and looking quite pleased with himself. Charlie was not far behind him and looking pretty testy. I scooped him up and took him back to his room - I can't believe he got out! He managed to push the middle part of the shelving out a little and squeezed through. It's a little concerning that he jumped down from the top of 6-ft shelving to a hard wood floor, though, can't be good on the joints. I will have to tie the middle shut, but glad that he did that now so I didn't get a false sense of security!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:Finn! Middle name Houdini!
The cry is meant to get to you. Just the way a baby cries to get the attention of Mother. They know what they are doing. If he was still outside as a feral he would have been hiding quietly. Meows to a human are intended to get us to look.

The photos of them bunny watching are soooo precious. I bet if the cage had vanished at that moment, they would have remained just as they were. The progress is evident. :woo:They are getting closer each day.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loved the bunny watching session too!
wow! he got out and no troubles, agreed progress is being made.
More like the bunny watching is in order!
maybe them just looking for the bunny will be good too!