I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Never worry of yourself or HIS feelings toward you. Gotta do for HIM in his best interest. I too feel as you, re trust broken if/when I trap our feral, but "He'll Be Back" as Arnold Schwarzenegger said! LOL :)

Food is his calling & life for ANY feral/stray. ;)
You are so right.:blush: He just stopped by for dinner...

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Video of the worm in motion:
Amazon Photos

Video of this morn. As I watch it I wish I had been more quiet and calm (I sound so scary), but at the time I didn't know if he was going to really sink his teeth in:
Amazon Photos
Yeah.....that's an odd one. I have no idea what it is but I don't think it's a slug. I also don't think it came out of him, I don't know of any internal parasites that move like that so I'd say it's probably something that was already there. You should still show it to your vet though, I'm not an expert so I may be wrong.

You actually reacted appropriately when he bit you. A high pitched yell like that is how Cats learn what not to do, the mother Cat and other Kittens will make a noise like that when a Kitten is getting too rough.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not sure what the worm is, but I did find this tapeworm video on YouTube that looks similar?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You actually reacted appropriately when he bit you. A high pitched yell like that is how Cats learn what not to do, the mother Cat and other Kittens will make a noise like that when a Kitten is getting too rough.
That is such a relief. I've been feeling horribly guilty all day. Poor guy came to eat and then has disappeared again.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not sure what the worm is, but I did find this tapeworm video on YouTube that looks similar?

That does kinda look like it. I guess I'm just not used to seeing live tapeworms, if that is what it is, whenever I've seen them it's either been the dried segments that look like sesame seeds or a dead worm that looks like a piece of string. If it is tapeworm it's easily dealt with at least, your vet will be able to give him something for it there at the office and you'll see segments in his litterbox for the next few days as he passes them.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been following your cat adventures and thought I'd just chime in and say thanks for caring for this new cat! I understand your concerns and worries about your current inside cat. I had indoor cats when, a few years ago, a mama cat had kittens in my backyard. Long story short (well, I'll try!), I trapped and adopted one of the kittens (took just a short time to socialize) and got the mama cat spayed. I then fed her and provided shelter for her outside for about three years.

This past September, I couldn't stand worrying about her any longer! She had been joined by a one-eyed stray male cat and I finally decided to bring both of them inside. I was able to lure them with treats into carriers, took them to the vet for testing, shots, flea meds, etc., and brought them right back to my house where they lived for several months in a small bedroom. Maybe I was just lucky, but they never yowled or tried to escape or acted out in any way. I gradually let them out to explore and meet the other cats, and they now have the run of the house.

It has worked out beautifully. The male cat fairly quickly became buddies with my indoor male cat. The mama cat, who was semi-feral, won't let me pick her up yet, but I can pet her and she is totally comfortable in the house and is making progress. They like to sit in the window and watch the birds and squirrels and don't seem to care to go back outside at all!

Bringing them inside has made both their lives and my life so much easier and so much better! I no longer have half-dead bunnies brought to my back door. I no longer have to go outside in freezing weather and shovel the patio at 5:00am so I can feed them before I go to work. I no longer worry when I see them run across the street and cars are coming. They are safe inside, well-fed, and loved.

It is hard when you have never done this before. I know! But it is definitely possible and this site has wonderful people who will help. If you have any rescue groups in your area, that is another source of help and support. Please keep us posted!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That does kinda look like it. I guess I'm just not used to seeing live tapeworms, if that is what it is, whenever I've seen them it's either been the dried segments that look like sesame seeds or a dead worm that looks like a piece of string.
Well, I would trust you guys' opinion more than I trust a YouTube video, so verdict is still out on what that sucker is. I am not a squeamish person; blood and guts don't bother me one bit. Parasites, now? Whole other story. I've been walking around with the hebe jeebies for days...fleas, mites, and worms, oh my! :paranoid: C'moooon Monday! (vet day)

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been following your cat adventures and thought I'd just chime in and say thanks for caring for this new cat! I understand your concerns and worries about your current inside cat. I had indoor cats when, a few years ago, a mama cat had kittens in my backyard. Long story short (well, I'll try!), I trapped and adopted one of the kittens (took just a short time to socialize) and got the mama cat spayed. I then fed her and provided shelter for her outside for about three years.

This past September, I couldn't stand worrying about her any longer! She had been joined by a one-eyed stray male cat and I finally decided to bring both of them inside. I was able to lure them with treats into carriers, took them to the vet for testing, shots, flea meds, etc., and brought them right back to my house where they lived for several months in a small bedroom. Maybe I was just lucky, but they never yowled or tried to escape or acted out in any way. I gradually let them out to explore and meet the other cats, and they now have the run of the house.

It has worked out beautifully. The male cat fairly quickly became buddies with my indoor male cat. The mama cat, who was semi-feral, won't let me pick her up yet, but I can pet her and she is totally comfortable in the house and is making progress. They like to sit in the window and watch the birds and squirrels and don't seem to care to go back outside at all!

Bringing them inside has made both their lives and my life so much easier and so much better! I no longer have half-dead bunnies brought to my back door. I no longer have to go outside in freezing weather and shovel the patio at 5:00am so I can feed them before I go to work. I no longer worry when I see them run across the street and cars are coming. They are safe inside, well-fed, and loved.

It is hard when you have never done this before. I know! But it is definitely possible and this site has wonderful people who will help. If you have any rescue groups in your area, that is another source of help and support. Please keep us posted!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post and to share your experience. I intend on providing shelter in my garage and any ongoing treatment that is needed. I'm a worrier and I'm sure I'll worry sick over this cat being outside, but my house is not conducive to sectioning any area off, and the guest bathroom is the only room that has a door. Think powder-room size with a shower. How long could one possibly keep a cat (who has been accustomed to the great outdoors) in a tiny space like that?

And if behavioral issues arose - once school starts in a few weeks I will have zero time to devote to this endeavor. This will be my last semester before fieldwork and it's going to be intense. And more important than all of that, even, is the well-being of my Charlie. I'd be heartbroken if I brought this little one inside and they hated each other, or the feral bullied Charlie, and Charlie felt displaced in his own home. Ahhhhhh!

I'm a little concerned about what the blood tests are going to show. This little guy has missing patches of fur and scars on his face, he looks scrappy. I don't know what his chances are of not having some virus, but hoping and praying.. One day at a time for now! Thank you again. :)

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A little bit of progress today:

He has been very tolerant and eager for affection today. I would imagine after not being touched for who-knows-how-long, and who knows if he's ever had a kind touch - that being touched might be overwhelming, overstimulation, or even repelling at times. Not so; he seems a little scared of it but keeps coming back for more. Breaks my heart!
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share...VA.ATAhaLtxqd6kn5GZHHFKiQ&tag=&tag=thecatsite

He did begin to use his claws on my leg, but I said no and he paused, but kept claws out, so I said no again and tapped his foot, and he removed it. I saw him begin to use his claws one time after that, but he caught himself. This is a huge relief - that maybe it is just a socialization thing and not a behavioral issue.

He is already decently comfortable eating in the trap, so hoping for an uneventful trapping on Monday morning:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Excellent progress! This is all great news! Try not to worry about the blood tests. Missing patches of fur may be due more to exposure to flea bites/ allergy/scratching than illness. Fighting does not necessarily lead to illness either. I have brought in many dozens of ferals in the past two years and very few (less than 2% One of those was anemic due to long term fleas and mosquitos) had any issues other than worms or fleas. His chances of being okay are very good.
Your garage should be fine for working with him. Just make sure that if he is free to roam around that he cannot get into any chemicals there. Antifreeze, insecticides, fertilizers, clothes washing detergent etc. That’s just a safety precaution.
Just so you know, a small space can be very comforting to a cat that is nervous. It’s a safe haven to them. Most cats seek out a little cubby hole in nature to stay safe from predators and stay comfortable in bad weather. Your powder room would be okay if you need to use the space. I’ve done it many times with kitties recovering from surgery since it limits them from jumping around a lot. I’ve also used that to calm scared kitties. They tend to want to stay there for a good while when they find a spot they feel safe.
You’re doing great with this kitty! He is so adorable! :yess:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fighting does not necessarily lead to illness either. I have brought in many dozens of ferals in the past two years and very few (less than 2% One of those was anemic due to long term fleas and mosquitos) had any issues other than worms or fleas. His chances of being okay are very good.
This is so good to know, thank you! I wondered what kind of percentages I was looking at; what chance he had of being in the clear.

I had planned on letting him recover in the trap then the cage in my garage, but then once he was healed, letting him come and go as he pleases through the doggy door. I do have pesticide in there, though, so I needed that reminder!

When this little guy first started coming around, I had the windows open and Charlie smelled him and immediately started spraying my furniture. I sat him down and had a good "chat" with him, told him I loved him but that it was conditional on no spraying. :evilgrin: I am really surprised that he hasn't tried to spray now that he's seen me with this guy on the back porch. I did turn around and catch this look through the door, though..
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share...jA._whs01KQtub9p2Mzbk2cW2&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:Charlie! You winked! You are so precious. No spraying is a very lucky thing! Is Charlie neutered? That does help. It might make your life with Charlie a bit easier if he is still a nervous kitty and it reduces any risk of spraying if he ever gets scared or sick. We all hate to get our kitties fixed but it really is better for them in the long term. (Sorry kitties, but we do it in your best interest! )
Charlie is truly gorgeous! I loved seeing the video!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:flail:Charlie! You winked! You are so precious. No spraying is a very lucky thing! Is Charlie neutered? That does help. It might make your life with Charlie a bit easier if he is still a nervous kitty and it reduces any risk of spraying if he ever gets scared or sick. We all hate to get our kitties fixed but it really is better for them in the long term. (Sorry kitties, but we do it in your best interest! )
Charlie is truly gorgeous! I loved seeing the video!
Oh yes, he's neutered. It was the first time since he moved in that he sprayed - I was shocked! But yes, I laughed at that video, too - he has a very expressive face and his looks crack me up!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a "meow" question. This morning Charlie saw the kitty laying on my porch step right outside the door. The video is a little long, about a minute, but if you watch to the end you'll hear him meow. What does that meow mean? It sounds like a sweet, friendly meow to me or is a question? (And yes, Charlie must lose weight; we are working on it.)

Amazon Photos

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a "meow" question. This morning Charlie saw the kitty laying on my porch step right outside the door. The video is a little long, about a minute, but if you watch to the end you'll hear him meow. What does that meow mean? It sounds like a sweet, friendly meow to me or is a question? (And yes, Charlie must lose weight; we are working on it.)

Amazon Photos
Since he was pawing at the window and not acting scared or aggressive at all I'd say he was more curious than anything else.

Since he was looking at you and not out the window it sounds like a standard "I'm talking with you" meow that Cats will do if you are talking to them.

And yes, he looks like he could stand to lose some weight. What and how are you currently feeding him?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And yes, he looks like he could stand to lose some weight. What and how are you currently feeding him?
Thanks for your response on the meowing - he's not a very vocal cat, he's more of a chirper, so I'm not acquainted with vocalizations.

As for the food, what a conundrum. I was feeding him one 5 oz can split into 2 feedings per day, then 1/4 c kibble at night. I have since read that kibble is junk food, so he no longer gets any kibble. I still split his 5 oz can into 3 feedings. The brands he likes are Merricks, Nulo, I and Love and You, and Fussy Cat.

I was reading up on the calorie requirements, and it seems that the calories in a 5 oz can are not enough? Yet he is so fat. I weigh him regularly and he stays right at 17.4 lbs, even after omitting the kibble. I'm certainly open to suggestions; I worry about health problems and joint problems if we can't get his weight down.

Trying to get him to play or exercise is another story altogether. He does like the laser pointer, but usually flops and watches it, like he's watching a cool light show I'm putting on for him. :rolleyes3: Very lazy.

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am impressed with how quickly you are making progress with your lil tom cat there. Good on you!!
YOu are helping that lil cat have a better life!!:yess::clapcat:

I had one thought,-------- not sure if it is too late, or if researching this idea might only add more "work" into what you are getting done,
but,
in many places, there are groups like "meow now", "cat crusaders", and various SPCA or humane society groups, etc,
which loan out traps for a refundable deposit only,
and also offer reduced price for TNVR spay and neuter.
You can google "TNVR groups near me" and see if you can get a very low cost surgery for your new friend there. These groups often know of each other and can refer you if you call the wrong place.

I still have to pay extra
to get the meds for worms, fleas, etc, and the testing for cat diseases, whatever we can get done while the cat is there, i get it done,
etc, and i have to pay for the extra things like that,

but, the surgery is low cost. :woohoo:
This might be a cost saver to you, if you do not already have an appt with your regular vet. My vet charges full price for spay neuter,:disappointed: even for ferals.

But my local SPCA does it on ferals for only $20, which is good price for around here.:clapcat:
The local "meow now" group loans me a trap for free, but now i have my very own traps.

Yes, i always stay by the trap til cat is caught, and then i scurry over and place a sheet over it
to calm the cat,
and i take it to my home so he is not trapped in a cage all night afraid and alone.
DON'T FORGET to put plastic garbage bags and then towels over your car seat, too, for the transportation part. I have even used old clothing that i will toss out, for the towels or padding for the cat to sleep on.

After surgery,
I keep my cats IN the small transport trap overnight, that first night after surgery,
to reduce activity, so s/he can hold still to allow sutures to set or whatever,

THEN next day, then i transfer the lil patient over to his recovery suite, a giant '2 story' dog cage, where he can move around a bit more.
I keep mine quite a while,:) a week or two, depending on how the cat is doing,:dizzycat:
and the weather, etc.
The tall cage that you got is nice so it doesn't take up so much floor space in your small bathroom. If you can not find a tiny litter box, maybe you might be able to rig up a small box to use as litter box in there.

Anyway, Best of luck!! I looked at your photos of the new outdoor cat,:happycat: and yes, i can see why he is catching your heart!!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response on the meowing - he's not a very vocal cat, he's more of a chirper, so I'm not acquainted with vocalizations.

As for the food, what a conundrum. I was feeding him one 5 oz can split into 2 feedings per day, then 1/4 c kibble at night. I have since read that kibble is junk food, so he no longer gets any kibble. I still split his 5 oz can into 3 feedings. The brands he likes are Merricks, Nulo, I and Love and You, and Fussy Cat.

I was reading up on the calorie requirements, and it seems that the calories in a 5 oz can are not enough? Yet he is so fat. I weigh him regularly and he stays right at 17.4 lbs, even after omitting the kibble. I'm certainly open to suggestions; I worry about health problems and joint problems if we can't get his weight down.

Trying to get him to play or exercise is another story altogether. He does like the laser pointer, but usually flops and watches it, like he's watching a cool light show I'm putting on for him. :rolleyes3: Very lazy.
If he doesn't vocalize much then yeah, it's most likely in response to you talking to him. Listen closely through the day and notice if you hear any meows when you aren't near him.

Activity level is a big part in how much he should be eating because if he spends most of the day laying around he won't need as many calories. Of course any food that's high in carbohydrates is bad for Cats whether it's dry or canned, so you really have to pay close attention to both the ingredients and the nutritional information.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am impressed with how quickly you are making progress with your lil tom cat there. Good on you!!
YOu are helping that lil cat have a better life!!:yess::clapcat:

I had one thought,-------- not sure if it is too late, or if researching this idea might only add more "work" into what you are getting done,
but,
in many places, there are groups like "meow now", "cat crusaders", and various SPCA or humane society groups, etc,
which loan out traps for a refundable deposit only,
and also offer reduced price for TNVR spay and neuter.
You can google "TNVR groups near me" and see if you can get a very low cost surgery for your new friend there. These groups often know of each other and can refer you if you call the wrong place.

I still have to pay extra
to get the meds for worms, fleas, etc, and the testing for cat diseases, whatever we can get done while the cat is there, i get it done,
etc, and i have to pay for the extra things like that,

but, the surgery is low cost. :woohoo:
This might be a cost saver to you, if you do not already have an appt with your regular vet. My vet charges full price for spay neuter,:disappointed: even for ferals.

But my local SPCA does it on ferals for only $20, which is good price for around here.:clapcat:
The local "meow now" group loans me a trap for free, but now i have my very own traps.

Yes, i always stay by the trap til cat is caught, and then i scurry over and place a sheet over it
to calm the cat,
and i take it to my home so he is not trapped in a cage all night afraid and alone.
DON'T FORGET to put plastic garbage bags and then towels over your car seat, too, for the transportation part. I have even used old clothing that i will toss out, for the towels or padding for the cat to sleep on.

After surgery,
I keep my cats IN the small transport trap overnight, that first night after surgery,
to reduce activity, so s/he can hold still to allow sutures to set or whatever,

THEN next day, then i transfer the lil patient over to his recovery suite, a giant '2 story' dog cage, where he can move around a bit more.
I keep mine quite a while,:) a week or two, depending on how the cat is doing,:dizzycat:
and the weather, etc.
The tall cage that you got is nice so it doesn't take up so much floor space in your small bathroom. If you can not find a tiny litter box, maybe you might be able to rig up a small box to use as litter box in there.

Anyway, Best of luck!! I looked at your photos of the new outdoor cat,:happycat: and yes, i can see why he is catching your heart!!
I know, I am dreading the bill for this vet visit on Monday. I originally had an appointment for TNR neuter at a low-cost clinic, but I took Charlie in for vet appointment last week and my vet spent so much time with me discussing this feral, and loaned me his trap, and charged me virtually nothing for Charlie's vet visit and all the time he spent with me, so I wanted to give him the business as thanks for always taking such good care of me (he's been my vet for 15 years). I scheduled the appt with him and canceled the local spay/neuter clinic to open up a slot for another lucky kitty.

Thank you for the tips on transporting him. I was wondering what I was going to do about his bathroom needs while he's in the trap? If he uses the bathroom while in there, there won't be much room to get away from the mess. Thinking of the 24 hours he must remain in there post-op. And the fleas...is my car going to be infested with fleas once I transport him?

I will do as you suggest and keep him in trap for 24 hrs and then transfer to his larger cage. I need to get that assembled today. I do have a small litter box that will fit. I'm just concerned about any fleas currently in my garage re-infecting him while he recovers there? The garage is full of items that would be impossible for me to move alone (shelving, fridge, freezers, washer/dryer, etc. ATV, and then many boxes from my move which I'm storing). So washing it down with dish soap is not an option. How long will it take the fleas to leave my garage or die without a host? I could keep him in guest bathroom to recover while evicting the fleas prior to freeing him outside, I just do not want to upset Charlie and deal with more spraying...