I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh. I'm no expert but I would call that resource guarding. Any way to add more scratchers? Or other resting spots? What about giving them time apart daily?
I have 10 scratchers throughout the house; 5 in the main living area where we spend the most time, 3 in the living room where the cat trees are, and a large one in my bedroom (no room for any more there). There are resting spots throughout this house. I have tried separating them when I'm home, but that seems to make things worse. My only option is to separate them when I leave the house.

My main question, though, is do I intervene when Finn tries to steal this scratcher, Charlie's last remaining 'claimed' spot, or do I stay out of it?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had another thought. Charlie just came out from spending a couple hours hiding under the bed. When he came out I noticed him licking and biting at himself like crazy. Which made me wonder about dust mites under the bed. I have a king size, large 4-pillar bed, very heavy wood and not movable. I can only get the vacuum so far under the bed. Charlie retreats way back where the vacuum doesn't reach. I wonder if he lays in dust and that irritates his skin? Could dust mites be under there and bite him? I literally just wrapped the entire frame in plastic so he can't get under it, now. I have things leaning up against the plastic all around the bed so he can't squeeze under it. Now he's missing a hiding place, but will see if the itching/biting slows down. Last time I had the vet check him for mites and none were found in a scrape. I don't think mites are the cause, I do strongly suspect hyperesthesia, but just wonder if the dust makes his skin itchy, that's all...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you what I have seen here. Sometimes when one cat is showing a weakness or a health issue, others dominate. Charlie is not feeling well and Finn can challenge. I think they have bounced back and forth on top cat for awhile. Previous is much like Finn and when he gets to feeling too dominant, I do intervene by a firm,”no.” Most of the time this works. Once in awhile I have to give him a time out but I do it in a cage that is still in the room with me. A few minutes of calming time stops his aggressive acts. He is probably of that Bengal line and can be “large and in charge!” Unless he really seems worked up, I say no or even stand between him and the cat he trying to dominate. Try all options and see what works with Finn until Charlie feels more like his old self.
Under the bed could have allergens. I can’t get under everything either but I found a dust mop with a rotating, flat, retangular pad. It reaches everywhere! I love it. The cover is machine washable. It picks up all dust bunnies and every little piece of dirt or at least will pull it out where I can access it. I found it at a Dollar General. I was able to buy extra covers there too. One side is just soft cloth and the other is textured with long strands of nubby fabric. Because I worry at times about flea eggs, I use one cover for spraying with a household flea spray to wipe under beds. Seems to work! I would love to hear that Charlie has gotten more relief. Right now I see no reason why you can’t show him a little bit of back up support with intervening if that seems to help. :heartshape:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you what I have seen here. Sometimes when one cat is showing a weakness or a health issue, others dominate. Charlie is not feeling well and Finn can challenge. I think they have bounced back and forth on top cat for awhile. Previous is much like Finn and when he gets to feeling too dominant, I do intervene by a firm,”no.” Most of the time this works. Once in awhile I have to give him a time out but I do it in a cage that is still in the room with me. A few minutes of calming time stops his aggressive acts. He is probably of that Bengal line and can be “large and in charge!” Unless he really seems worked up, I say no or even stand between him and the cat he trying to dominate. Try all options and see what works with Finn until Charlie feels more like his old self.
Under the bed could have allergens. I can’t get under everything either but I found a dust mop with a rotating, flat, retangular pad. It reaches everywhere! I love it. The cover is machine washable. It picks up all dust bunnies and every little piece of dirt or at least will pull it out where I can access it. I found it at a Dollar General. I was able to buy extra covers there too. One side is just soft cloth and the other is textured with long strands of nubby fabric. Because I worry at times about flea eggs, I use one cover for spraying with a household flea spray to wipe under beds. Seems to work! I would love to hear that Charlie has gotten more relief. Right now I see no reason why you can’t show him a little bit of back up support with intervening if that seems to help. :heartshape:
Thanks, Jcatbird - I will try to trust my gut, then. I haven't intervened yet because part of me doesn't want to discourage them "sharing". Charlie will still sometimes insist on "sharing" Finn's little short perch; Finn still gets the top spot, but Charlie will crawl inside. So I like to see them take turns with toys/perches/chairs/even scratchersBut I don't want either one of them to be bullied. It helps to know I can step in when one of them isn't feeling well. I had forgotten that a cat will pick on another when it isn't feeling well!

The wrapping plastic around the bottom of the bed is working to keep him out! They are both laying on the floor in my room now. My room is carpeted, so there's no getting a dust mop underneath the bed, but I can imagine the dust that must collect on the carpet in the dark recesses! Will keep plastic barrier just for now until we make some progress with this over-grooming.

I don't even know where to begin with food elimination. For now I've just eliminated the cheap food. Which foods/ingredients tend to be the biggest culprits in cats who have food allergies - anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks again for all the input and trouble shooting and encouragement when I get discouraged. It does help a lot. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 10 scratchers throughout the house; 5 in the main living area where we spend the most time, 3 in the living room where the cat trees are, and a large one in my bedroom (no room for any more there). There are resting spots throughout this house. I have tried separating them when I'm home, but that seems to make things worse. My only option is to separate them when I leave the house.

My main question, though, is do I intervene when Finn tries to steal this scratcher, Charlie's last remaining 'claimed' spot, or do I stay out of it?
I guess you have lots of "resources!" :hearthrob:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
buffster buffster , I just wanted to post and send you hugs, and support with the latest episodes with the Frenemies. 🤗 🤗 🤗

I hope things settle back to "normal" between them soon. :crossfingers: Good luck, also, with the resumption of your Clinicals. :heartshape:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a vet appointment on Monday for Charlie. I spoke with my vet over the phone and he believes Charlie's behaviors and bald spots are allergies. Although the calming and the non-obsessive supplements helped initially reduce the 'frenzy' - the chewing and licking continue. If it were just licking, I'd think straight up anxiety. However, I've noticed him chewing as well. This to me says itchiness?

It occurred to me that when I had the house treated for carpenter ants, we went underneath the house to the spot where the door above us had rot - it's rotting out the sub floor in that area and it's molded. Bingo. I bet Charlie is reacting to the mold!? That's the door he and Finn like to sit and look out quite a bit. It's also the door just 3 feet away from the litter box they use. So lots of exposure.

Fortunately, I just read that if it's a mold allergy, there are sublingual drops or something that will somehow mediate the immune system's response. Will see what my vet says on Monday.

In the meantime, we've been at the top of the roller coaster for a couple days, now. Back to coasting in peaceful zone. This warmed my heart, because Charlie was on his chair and Finn was sitting with me on the other chair. He chose to leave me in favor of sidling up to Charlie! Warmed my heart:
cuddelpuddle.JPG

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please do let us know how Charlie does at the vet. I hope it is an easy fix.
Thanks Shadowsrescue! Have you ever had allergy testing done for any of yours? Is it pricey? I know I'd like to test for mold allergy, but even if bloodwork reflects this, I'm unable to replace this door and repair the sub floor at the moment. I am not sure what we can do to address the allergies. We're down to the skin, now. If he doesn't get relief soon, it'll be time for a donut around the neck, and not sure what that would do between Finn and him.
They really truly are frenemies, aren't they. :catrub:
They sure have been! In the spirit of putting positive things out there, they have done really well these past couple days. I'm being lulled into complacency and I love it. :blush:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Shadowsrescue! Have you ever had allergy testing done for any of yours? Is it pricey? I know I'd like to test for mold allergy, but even if bloodwork reflects this, I'm unable to replace this door and repair the sub floor at the moment. I am not sure what we can do to address the allergies. We're down to the skin, now. If he doesn't get relief soon, it'll be time for a donut around the neck, and not sure what that would do between Finn and him.

They sure have been! In the spirit of putting positive things out there, they have done really well these past couple days. I'm being lulled into complacency and I love it. :blush:

I have not had any of my cats allergy tested. One of my boys has very bad seasonal allergies. He sneezes and has terrible runny eyes. I add lysine to his regime and up the DMG and this usually helps.

One of my feral boys was vomiting a lot a number of years ago. I was unable to get him to a vet. I have used an animal communicator over the years and asked her about it. She felt that any form of rice was causing him issues. I checked the ingredients of the food he ate and sure enough about half of them had rice in them. Once I stopped using them, he stopped vomiting. Now today, if I give him anything with rice he will almost certainly vomit. I have to watch treats very carefully.

Fingers crossed, they can quickly come up with a diagnosis.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet is going to test? Maybe the sublingual could just be offered to see if it helps rather than putting you through more expense? It would be great if you got a simple solution.
I'm not sure - I just assumed they would have to test. I wonder if there is a sublingual that works to reduce histamines and might work as kind of a 'blanket' treatment? I will definitely ask. Thanks, sweet friend!
Pic of one of his bald spots. He's down to the skin and peach fuzz in several spots.
bald.JPG

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet's office called today and we rescheduled. COVID restrictions really run them behind, and I was the last appointment and he was running 1-1.5 hours behind. I felt bad for him - don't know how he gets it all done. Rescheduled to Thursday morning.

I got home today and saw this. I wonder if I need to order a donut regardless? Is this the beginning of a sore that will turn into an open wound? How long does that take to progress? I feel just sick about this:

bald1.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there! You'll be seeing the vet in a couple days, but you could send this photo to them tomorrow first thing and ask if they suggest that you take some form of action.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! You'll be seeing the vet in a couple days, but you could send this photo to them tomorrow first thing and ask if they suggest that you take some form of action.
Thanks, friend. They're so swamped, I don't think they'll even get to email tomorrow if they're running so far behind. Just wondering if a donut is likely going to be required and if so, should I order so I have it before this turns into a sore? Or do they recommend some sort of body suit, I've heard of those? I would think that anything less than a full body suit would be ripped off in no time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chamomile tea, maybe?

per Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
It is extremely soothing, as well as being antibacterial and antifungal. DO use the commercial tea bags, as those are all German chamomile, medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety is useless and toxic to cats. ALL COMMERCIAL chamomile tea bags are German, BTW, so just grab a box at the grocery store, brew a cup, and chill before using. It can also be used internally for anxiety.