I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think catching this new kitty soon should be your priority. Yet I do worry about you putting him in a hot garage with screens open. With it being so hot with triple digit heat indexes, a garage can get so very very hot. Screens are good. Yet if you give him free reign of the garage, he might try to escape. If you keep him in a carrier or trap and he starts to overheat he would have no way to escape.

Do you have a basement or spare bathroom?
I agree, I thought of the heat in the garage. I went out to check to see if it is livable, and it is actually not over-hot. It's stuffy, but the windows aren't open, yet. My thoughts are if I wait til dinner when he normally comes, it should be cooler. I was just out there retrieving the trap and wiping it down. Of course, the door to the crawl space is in the garage and it's cool down there, so I think that does help to keep the garage more temperate.

He is so infested with lice and fleas that I am reluctant to bring him into my house with Charlie. I always have the sensation of things crawling on my skin after sitting with him; once I saw the lice, it made sense. There are no outside doors close to the guest bathroom, which means I'd have to carry his cage throughout the house to reach it, potentially shedding lice and fleas along the way. That's a possibility, right? If it came down to this kitty's life or death, I would certainly bring him inside. If there is a way to get him to the vet before bringing him inside without putting him at risk, that would be preferable.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call your vet and ask if you catch him, could you just bring him in. He may have to stay overnight in a crate there, but at least he is safe and in a nice cool place. He can then be neutered, vaccinated and treated for fleas and parasites.
I just got back from hanging out in the garage for 10 mins to check temp. It's comfortable! My garage has always stayed temperate, even in the heat of summer, and I chalked it up to the crawl space. If I see him and can catch him prior to vet closing, I will take him directly there.

I hope I don't sound heartless with not wanting to bring him in til he's tested and treated. I noticed yesterday and this morning that Charlie was obsessively scratching at his ears which he has never done in the years since I took him in. Coincidence? As careful as I try to be, Charlie is glued to the door every time I go out to spend time with the kitty, and I literally have to step over him to get back in the house. Am I bringing mites inside with me? I treated his ears with some mite medicine I had from my dog (safe for cats) and I haven' seen him scratching since then. If I didn't have Charlie I would bring him in without hesitation, but I guess I'm a bit of a helicopter cat mom. :oops:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you give Charlie Flea Medicine?
I would give him a topical if you don't, just to ease your mind.
That way he could not be a host. parasites die off without a host.
I doubt parasites will leave their host to move to another, they would just stay put I think!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Charlie! About the itching and calling the new guy by your name!
Just so you know, fleas can be in your yard so it might not have anything to do with contacting the other kitty. Either way, your best option is to get him straight to the vet or take him in the morning. Getting the vet stuff done early is a good thing and will allow the new kitty a chance to just relax upon return.
If you keep him in the garage, only open the windows a little by. If you open them enough for him to get out, he may scratch out of the screen. My garage stays cooler than outside so I am guessing yours does too. Make sure that any boxes that can tip over are put on the floor. I don’t know if you got that cage or have a big enough carrier for him to be comfortable in but that might be easier than hunting for him in the garage later to get him to the vet. I understand the concern about having him in the bathroom. If you cover the trap or carrier while taking him through the house, risk is mknimal. If you put him there then block the opening under the door with a towel and that should prevent intruding bugs. Once out you just need to put the towel straight into the wash and sanitize the bathroom surfaces. I wipe things down with a diluted Clorox. Let it air out and dry thoroughly before Charlie is allowed in there.

You don’t sound heartless at all. We are all cautious when bringing new kitties inside. As for your friends feeling you should not work with this cat..... very common reaction from people who have no experience with rescuing or an idea of the value of a life. Every life is precious. I was greatly criticized when I started the rescues of this last colony. At first. ;) I was told I “ would never be able to save them or get them adopted out!” I’m glad I didn’t listen! I caught every single one and found homes for 77 cats and kittens. It was worth every minute! I got all spayed or neutered and all were treated for parasites and immunized. It was hard but one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. When I go outside now, I don’t have to see and worry about the suffering of kitties here. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. My friends don’t criticize the rescuing any more. In fact, rescuing can be contagious. Lol Some of the very ones who criticized have rescued a kitty now. :yess: I think you’re great!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cared for quite a few feral cats on my deck and yard throughout the years while also having indoor only cats inside my home. I never once brought in fleas or other parasites in the 8 years I had them. Not once. I had my indoor cats on Revolution. I also never showered after interacting with them. Never.

Fleas can get into your house through your shoes or screens. I understand how you do not want to bring him inside since you visibly see them on a cat. Yet most of these parasites are treatable. Once the new cat gets medication both topically and orally he will be ok. Yet you still can bring in fleas, mosquitos or other bugs into your home every day no matter how careful you are.

I really hope you can get this new kitty and get him quickly to a vet. He really needs some TLC and you are just the person to do it!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cared for quite a few feral cats on my deck and yard throughout the years while also having indoor only cats inside my home. I never once brought in fleas or other parasites in the 8 years I had them. Not once. I had my indoor cats on Revolution. I also never showered after interacting with them. Never.

Fleas can get into your house through your shoes or screens. I understand how you do not want to bring him inside since you visibly see them on a cat. Yet most of these parasites are treatable. Once the new cat gets medication both topically and orally he will be ok. Yet you still can bring in fleas, mosquitos or other bugs into your home every day no matter how careful you are.

I really hope you can get this new kitty and get him quickly to a vet. He really needs some TLC and you are just the person to do it!
Just caught him!!! Kind of freaking out. Vet is closed.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figured out why the trap didn't work the first time! The little bar that is supposed to lock once the trap snaps shut doesn't lock, so the cat could just push his way back out! So I had it tied up with a bag tie, and He was so hungry when he got here, poor thing. He let me love on him then went straight for the food, and when he was eating I just quietly lowered the trap door and then tied it shut with bag ties.

He did surprisingly well; a slight freak out and then he settled. I sat on the garage floor with him but I was sweating buckets with the doggy door shut. I'm sure it was just bc of nerves, but then I thought - If I'm supposed to keep his cage covered with a blanket, how hot is he going to get in there?

I shut Charlie in my bedroom, sprinkled diatomaceous earth all over the floor between the garage and the guest bathroom, and his cage is currently in the guest bathroom.

QUESTIONS:
1. Should I turn lights out or leave them on??

2. Since I fed him right before capture, will the water in the food be sufficient to get him through til tomorrow morning? I didn't see a way to open up the opposite end of the cage.

3. Should I go sit and talk with him, or leave him alone for the night? It's only 7:45 here; poor guy has another 12 hours to go in that trap..

4. Anything else I should do for him tonight?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are amazing!!!!
I would put a night light in there. Nothing too bright.
I wouldn’t give him anything else to eat or drink. He can get good st the vet if needed. But if the neuter tomorrow he needs an empty stomach.
I would check on him from time to time. I usually just let the cat be. Sometimes I play some soft music too.

Hopefully he just stays calm. Just try your best not to let him out of the trap. When you go to the vet tomorrow be sure the trap is securely latched. If you have any carabiners they give extra security. You don’t want him getting out during transport.

Take a nice deserved break tonight. You did awesome!!!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His food in the trap is on a paper plate. Does it have some sort of finish on it (some do)? You could dribble just a little water onto it with a turkey baster from above without opening the trap. I don't think that would be an issue for his neutering surgery - the water will quickly be absorbed by his body. Midnight is usually the magic hour for no fluids.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are amazing!!!!
I would put a night light in there. Nothing too bright.
I wouldn’t give him anything else to eat or drink. He can get good st the vet if needed. But if the neuter tomorrow he needs an empty stomach.
I would check on him from time to time. I usually just let the cat be. Sometimes I play some soft music too.

Hopefully he just stays calm. Just try your best not to let him out of the trap. When you go to the vet tomorrow be sure the trap is securely latched. If you have any carabiners they give extra security. You don’t want him getting out during transport.

Take a nice deserved break tonight. You did awesome!!!
Okay, thank you! I had put a nightlight in there and turned the lights out so will leave it alone, then.

I thought about playing some music until I realized the only music I own is on my phone! Gone are the days of radios, hey?

Last question - Charlie knows something is up. I'm going to keep him in my room tonight, but if he slips past me, is there any danger to him if he sniffs at the door? I'm thinking respiratory viruses or something. Anything droplet or airborne that I should be aware of? Thank you guys so much for your help!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His food in the trap is on a paper plate. Does it have some sort of finish on it (some do)? You could dribble just a little water onto it with a turkey baster from above without opening the trap. I don't think that would be an issue for his neutering surgery - the water will quickly be absorbed by his body. Midnight is usually the magic hour for no fluids.
He's upended the plate and it wouldn't hold water now. I sure wish I had thought to put some Bach's Rescue Remedy in his food before serving! That would have helped him out so much!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie will be ok. Don’t worry about any sniffing. To make it easier do try to keep him in your room. It might make them both feel better.
Okay, thank you, and you are right! I checked on stray kitty for the last time tonight and smelled strong urine odor in the bathroom. Not sure if he wet himself or sprayed. But I'll definitely want to get that cleaned up before Charlie comes out of the room tomorrow. The last thing I need is a spraying contest.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely he just peed. Remember that tom cat urine is very strong. It's pretty normal to pee in the trap. I usually line mine with puppy pee pads. Just clean it really well and all will be fine.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1::woo::bunnydance::dance:You did it! I knew you would! This is wonderful! Just make very, very sure that the trap cannot be opened tonight! Fasten it every way you can think of and in several places. You don’t want him getting out during the night. A else will be okay. I have had dozens of cats confined to a bathroom while having my cats inside too. Nothing ever spread. You have done an amazing and wonderful thing. Thank you for following through on all of this. I know it has been nerve wracking but YOU DID IT! :goldstar::clap2: