I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I've seen him eat things that aren't edible, so I have to keep a real close eye on him. I recently saw him eat a tiny soft plastic cap that came off a piece of workout equipment; that's when I realized anything was fair game for him. I've seen him eat a piece of fuzz, too. So I've become very careful about what's on my counters and floors. Breaks my heart to think of him starving at one point to create this food obsession.
Oh, poor Finn. :( My Ruby was food obsessed when I adopted her, but she didn't resort to eating fuzz or other non-food items. She did once eat a muffin paper I'd left on the counter just long enough for me to go into another room to eat the muffin. I panicked and called the vet, who said it should break down from stomach acid and be fine, and it was. Or at least I never saw the muffin paper again. ;)

It took Ruby about 8 months to get over her "stray cat food obsession" so hopefully in time Finn will learn that he'll never go hungry again, and won't try to eat everything in sight. :crossfingers:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've seen him eat things that aren't edible, so I have to keep a real close eye on him. I recently saw him eat a tiny soft plastic cap that came off a piece of workout equipment; that's when I realized anything was fair game for him. I've seen him eat a piece of fuzz, too. So I've become very careful about what's on my counters and floors. Breaks my heart to think of him starving at one point to create this food obsession.

As for the not knowing what to do with himself - do most of them figure that out eventually? This place is full of toys of all kinds. Lots of windows and perches to look out from. I'm not sure what to do to help the poor little dude. Here's a vid of him being vocal. It's almost non-stop. I'm like, "Help .. me.. help.. you" all Tom Cruise style. What can I DO to ease your angst, Litte One?
Usually they do figure things out on their own. If things keep going the way they have the past few days then Charlie will be a big help with getting him over his constant attention seeking, it's likely because he now has the run of the house and so much more space to explore and interact with after being confined to one room for months. Just keep doing what you're doing and he'll come around eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question for you guys.
The boys have been grumpy for the last couple days. I have also interfered a couple times the last couple days, thinking they were on their way to a fight. I think it compounds the issue when I interfere.
This morning I let Finn out, and Charlie has been stalking him. Finn also visited Charlie's favorite spots, which upset Charlie. He has a hidden windowsill that he (Charlie) likes to spend time on, and Finn found it today.

I was on the phone and heard the ruckus (yelps and crying), and when I came out I saw Charlie pouncing Finn on the chaise and biting him. I'm not sure who started it, but I yelled and they separated. (It was scary seeing Charlie pin Finn - the pictures minimize the size difference, but in person, Charlie's 17 lbs look huge on top of Finn's slender 10 lbs) I tried to pet them both but Charlie was having none of it and was growling. I put Finn back in his cage and picked Charlie up, intending on putting him in my room, but he growled looooong and jumped out of my arms.

I ended up putting Charlie in Finn's room (he loves going in there but I don't normally allow it because it's still Finn's 'safe place') but thought that maybe doing a pseudo room-swap and 'treating' Charlie by some time in Finn's room and not punishing Finn by caging him and letting him have run of house for a bit. I don't know if I did the right thing.
Should I have separated them? Or continue to let them work it out?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, when mine have had an altercation I don't try to pet or move them because they can still be in an excitable or overstimulated state and lash out at me. I let them calm themselves and stay in the same area, and distract one if I need to some way other than contact.
I think one way they figure each other out and their status is by altercations- in addition to all the other things like watching, play, testing limits etc.
I have a hard time knowing when to interfere, but biting may not do any damage or injury so I have let that go on and wait and see what happens. If one just can't escape the other or one keeps chasing and keeps the other cornered for a long time, or there's wounds and blood (doesn't happen with my current cats) I'd get the aggressor away and separate.
I think it sounds fine having Charlie in Finn's room and Finn having the house for a bit. I might have let the two have a ruckus on the chaise, I have found Waffles (older) pounced on Mooshoo (younger) and let it happen, Mooshoo was really loud but trying to get the message to Waffles. She would scoot away and that was the end. She had to learn to get away.
But with not being there I don't want to give wrong advice about that :).

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me, when mine have had an altercation I don't try to pet or move them because they can still be in an excitable or overstimulated state and lash out at me. I let them calm themselves and stay in the same area, and distract one if I need to some way other than contact.
I think one way they figure each other out and their status is by altercations- in addition to all the other things like watching, play, testing limits etc.
I have a hard time knowing when to interfere, but biting may not do any damage or injury so I have let that go on and wait and see what happens. If one just can't escape the other or one keeps chasing and keeps the other cornered for a long time, or there's wounds and blood (doesn't happen with my current cats) I'd get the aggressor away and separate.
I think it sounds fine having Charlie in Finn's room and Finn having the house for a bit. I might have let the two have a ruckus on the chaise, I have found Waffles (older) pounced on Mooshoo (younger) and let it happen, Mooshoo was really loud but trying to get the message to Waffles. She would scoot away and that was the end. She had to learn to get away.
But with not being there I don't want to give wrong advice about that :).
Okay, now and then I just need to hear that. Finn got Charlie back good tonight, and it's like a reflex; when I hear the yelps and crying, I yell and break it up. I have got to learn to just let it happen.

Poor little Finn just had a hard day today. Evenings are particularly hard for him. He just cries and cries. I have tried consoling him, playing with him, laying down and cuddling him, and ignoring him. I have no idea what to do with him in the evenings, so tonight I had him in his room for bed at 8 pm, poor little dude. I had an exam to prep for and could get nothing done with the continual crying. I wonder if it's a stray/feral thing - accustomed to going prowling at night?
Anyway, thank you for sharing your input - it helps to hear that reiterated - no blood, let them be. It helps also to hear the stories of yours, as well. I need to let them work things out... Will try again tomorrow!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And I just walked in to see Charlie laying in his litter box, just chilling. Second time today I've seen him do this, and he has never ever done this before. Does it mean anything? Cats. They are truly a mystery to me.
charliebox.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finn definetly has plenty to say. A feral would not be likely to go around being loud unless looking for someone. It could be a mate, friend or kitten. Some breeds are more vocal, like Siamese. I expect he is directly speaking to you. Separation with something besides your hand may still need to be done at times. They still are not totally integrated and need some private space from what I can guess. Charlie may be trying to own his territory by claiming his litter box. Maybe add some boxes in other places. Finn should have one in his room as well as private water supply and same for Charlie. A few extra bowls of water around may help. The stress is going to remain for awhile yet. I think putting Finn in his room is just fine. Remember that they really are still getting to know each other. A few shared moments doesn’t mean it’s completed yet. Sorry! Decompression time for both still seems to be in order.
You mentioned Finn eating odd items. Did he meow like this before the pica? Did he actually eat something indigestible? Three thoughts come to mind, lacking some vitamin or mineral in his normal food (fiber maybe) leftover feral desire to hunt food and plain old stress! Knowing the history of Finn, I am guessing stress. It can be boredom too but just going on all the information over an extended time, it’s still a matter of things getting settled there. If Finn did eat something he needs to pass, poop check! Lol Ewwwww! I know, but you always need to make sure they get rid of things. Fortunately most things do pass!
Even though cats are social creatures, Finn is still a newcomer. To Charlie, he’s found all his personal treasures. That long growl was just a complaint and telling you, NOT cool Mom! To Finn, he really only has his own room and you still. It’s still a place that Charlie owns. They’ve made absolutely amazing progress but it just isn’t as “all done” as it seems when they are sharing the bunny watch. Don’t fret though! Just give them some separation to calm. A certain amount of letting them work things out is necessary but a long growl tells you, break time. Once again, you made the right choice. Trust your instincts. They are working.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finn definetly has plenty to say. A feral would not be likely to go around being loud unless looking for someone. It could be a mate, friend or kitten. Some breeds are more vocal, like Siamese. I expect he is directly speaking to you. Separation with something besides your hand may still need to be done at times. They still are not totally integrated and need some private space from what I can guess. Charlie may be trying to own his territory by claiming his litter box. Maybe add some boxes in other places. Finn should have one in his room as well as private water supply and same for Charlie. A few extra bowls of water around may help. The stress is going to remain for awhile yet. I think putting Finn in his room is just fine. Remember that they really are still getting to know each other. A few shared moments doesn’t mean it’s completed yet. Sorry! Decompression time for both still seems to be in order.
You mentioned Finn eating odd items. Did he meow like this before the pica? Did he actually eat something indigestible? Three thoughts come to mind, lacking some vitamin or mineral in his normal food (fiber maybe) leftover feral desire to hunt food and plain old stress! Knowing the history of Finn, I am guessing stress. It can be boredom too but just going on all the information over an extended time, it’s still a matter of things getting settled there. If Finn did eat something he needs to pass, poop check! Lol Ewwwww! I know, but you always need to make sure they get rid of things. Fortunately most things do pass!
Even though cats are social creatures, Finn is still a newcomer. To Charlie, he’s found all his personal treasures. That long growl was just a complaint and telling you, NOT cool Mom! To Finn, he really only has his own room and you still. It’s still a place that Charlie owns. They’ve made absolutely amazing progress but it just isn’t as “all done” as it seems when they are sharing the bunny watch. Don’t fret though! Just give them some separation to calm. A certain amount of letting them work things out is necessary but a long growl tells you, break time. Once again, you made the right choice. Trust your instincts. They are working.
Thanks Jcatbird! When you say separation and decompression may be in order - should that last for just minutes, or for a full day? They had been doing so well until a couple days ago when they've had a few issues, I was wondering if we had another week of smooth sailing how they were going to do when I started my clinical rotation in a week. Now I know that I'll need to keep them separated for sure. Poor Finn - back to being confined to his room for long days. Maybe I can take turns letting each have the run of the house on alternating days.

As for water bowls and litter boxes, I currently have 4 litter boxes, one in each of their rooms and 2 in different parts of the house. 2 water bowls, and 1 water fountain around the house for them. However, I have been adding bone broth topper to Charlie's food and straight water to Finn's food. I noted that Charlie isn't drinking as much water with his bone broth topper - is this a problem? He just used the litter box behind me and I have never smelled such a potent urine smell. Then again, I've never had a litter box right behind me like I have now. I'm on high alert for anything kidney-related. His vet appointment is on Tuesday and I'll be taking them both in.

It's been a while since Finn ate that soft plastic cap, and I never thought to check his poop - it was so tiny that I didn't worry about it, just noted it. I've been more worried about him eating one of the brown recluse spiders around here! I set out traps in the garage - I have heard that those traps will attract them, so I haven't wanted to place them in the house. I'll certainly remember to be on poop patrol if I see him eating anything else, though. The only way I can get his poop to stay firm is when he's eating that Science Diet or Royal Canin, which I hate because I know the ingredients are not great. Any time I try to transition him, his poop goes back to being runny. Anyway, now I'm just babbling. Note to self: let coffee wear off before hopping on TCS. ;) As always, thank you so much for your input!! It is highly valued and always well-received. Hope you guys are enjoying a beautiful Sunday!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jcatbird! When you say separation and decompression may be in order - should that last for just minutes, or for a full day? They had been doing so well until a couple days ago when they've had a few issues, I was wondering if we had another week of smooth sailing how they were going to do when I started my clinical rotation in a week. Now I know that I'll need to keep them separated for sure. Poor Finn - back to being confined to his room for long days. Maybe I can take turns letting each have the run of the house on alternating days.

As for water bowls and litter boxes, I currently have 4 litter boxes, one in each of their rooms and 2 in different parts of the house. 2 water bowls, and 1 water fountain around the house for them. However, I have been adding bone broth topper to Charlie's food and straight water to Finn's food. I noted that Charlie isn't drinking as much water with his bone broth topper - is this a problem? He just used the litter box behind me and I have never smelled such a potent urine smell. Then again, I've never had a litter box right behind me like I have now. I'm on high alert for anything kidney-related. His vet appointment is on Tuesday and I'll be taking them both in.

It's been a while since Finn ate that soft plastic cap, and I never thought to check his poop - it was so tiny that I didn't worry about it, just noted it. I've been more worried about him eating one of the brown recluse spiders around here! I set out traps in the garage - I have heard that those traps will attract them, so I haven't wanted to place them in the house. I'll certainly remember to be on poop patrol if I see him eating anything else, though. The only way I can get his poop to stay firm is when he's eating that Science Diet or Royal Canin, which I hate because I know the ingredients are not great. Any time I try to transition him, his poop goes back to being runny. Anyway, now I'm just babbling. Note to self: let coffee wear off before hopping on TCS. ;) As always, thank you so much for your input!! It is highly valued and always well-received. Hope you guys are enjoying a beautiful Sunday!
Alternating rooms with them is probably a good idea, it lets Finn explore the house and it lets Charlie enjoy himself in the "No, you can't come in here" zone.

It depends on what you're feeding him, if it's dry food then it may be a problem but if it's canned or raw then no it's not.

If it was that small I wouldn't worry, anything smaller than a pencil eraser should easily pass unless it has sharp edges that could get caught on something on the way through. Even objects a bit bigger should pass unless they have an irregular shape. Best thing to do is isolate him and watch his litterbox, if it's going to pass through it should within a day, if it doesn't then you can start worrying.

How long do you wait when switching Finn's food before switching back? Diarrhea often happens when switching food and may last for several days so if you're switching back right away you're probably not giving him enough time to get used to the new food. Another option is a gradual transition, mix in a small amount of the new food and increase the new and decrease the old over a week or so.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Talien! I don't feed dry, only wet, so hopefully we're good there. When trying to transition Finn to higher quality food, I usually just add some to his current SD or RC, and the loose stools start. After a couple days I do all SD or RC to firm up, so you may be right - not enough time. After 2 months of loose stool and never firming up, I think I have doubts that his tummy can tolerate it and I'm not sure why that is.

Okay, another behavior question for you guys that just transpired. Sorry for the continual questions.
I've noticed that the boys seem to take turns victimizing each other. One day one of them will be a total jerk to the other one and victimize them all day long. The next day, the tables turn. And it's not playful.

For instance, yesterday Charlie was not nice to Finn at all - stalked him and pounced him and bit him all day, in an aggressive matter. Yelps from Finn. Finn did retaliate at the end of the evening last night just before bed and had Charlie yelping and crying. Now this morning, Finn wasn't out for long before he pounced Charlie and was just about to sink his teeth in when I scooped him up. I just don't have the tolerance to referee today. He's back in his room, happy as a clam with his treat dispenser toy. I have noticed this before; one day one is a complete a-hole, then the next day the other seems fed up and turns the tables. Is this a "thing", something typical when integrating cats? Switching back and forth being the A-hole and the victim?

Typing this has made me realize I'm just kind of "over it" today. :hmmm: May just keep them separated today, or at least until the afternoon when they seem to mellow out a bit. Thanks, guys.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I also think having them separate in rooms and alternating for a period of time is not a problem at all, in fact can help them decompress and have some lower stress time from the other kitty in the house. It would give me peace of mind too while I was out of the house that they wouldn't be bothering each other.
I've seen kitties chilling out in the litterbox and I have no idea why they do that! Maybe the cushy litter feel is comforting :lol:. Like a blanket or something. Maybe Charlie is self comforting.
It's hard to let a confrontation go, they sound so evil. Over time mine have learned to respect each others' boundaries through the conflicts. It did take about a year. That's not to say every cat combo is the same, just what has happened here.
I also think they are doing really well! Cats are cool creatures of a different mold :).

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Talien! I don't feed dry, only wet, so hopefully we're good there. When trying to transition Finn to higher quality food, I usually just add some to his current SD or RC, and the loose stools start. After a couple days I do all SD or RC to firm up, so you may be right - not enough time. After 2 months of loose stool and never firming up, I think I have doubts that his tummy can tolerate it and I'm not sure why that is.

Okay, another behavior question for you guys that just transpired. Sorry for the continual questions.
I've noticed that the boys seem to take turns victimizing each other. One day one of them will be a total jerk to the other one and victimize them all day long. The next day, the tables turn. And it's not playful.

For instance, yesterday Charlie was not nice to Finn at all - stalked him and pounced him and bit him all day, in an aggressive matter. Yelps from Finn. Finn did retaliate at the end of the evening last night just before bed and had Charlie yelping and crying. Now this morning, Finn wasn't out for long before he pounced Charlie and was just about to sink his teeth in when I scooped him up. I just don't have the tolerance to referee today. He's back in his room, happy as a clam with his treat dispenser toy. I have noticed this before; one day one is a complete a-hole, then the next day the other seems fed up and turns the tables. Is this a "thing", something typical when integrating cats? Switching back and forth being the A-hole and the victim?

Typing this has made me realize I'm just kind of "over it" today. :hmmm: May just keep them separated today, or at least until the afternoon when they seem to mellow out a bit. Thanks, guys.
They sound like 2 hooman brothers tormenting each other. I also reach a limit with listening to the tormenting and separate. No good for you to be too stressed. I used to let it happen as long as I could so they could learn each other, but they are alternating so at least one is not always the victim. Others will have more knowledge than me!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only way I can get his poop to stay firm is when he's eating that Science Diet or Royal Canin, which I hate because I know the ingredients are not great. Any time I try to transition him, his poop goes back to being runny.
When you have a cat with a sensitive digestive system, I believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Ruby's food probably has some not great ingredients, but 99.9% of the time her poop is normal when she eats this food, so I'm sticking with it.

buffster buffster : just noticed your avatar pic. Love it. :catlove:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to let a confrontation go, they sound so evil. Over time mine have learned to respect each others' boundaries through the conflicts. It did take about a year. That's not to say every cat combo is the same, just what has happened here.
It helps to hear others' experiences, so thank you! I've never experienced integrating cats before, so this is all very foreign and stressful to me - I love peace and tranquility and this is not that. :lol:
Others will have more knowledge than me!
I don't know, you sound like you have pretty darn good knowledge to me!
When you have a cat with a sensitive digestive system, I believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Ruby's food probably has some not great ingredients, but 99.9% of the time her poop is normal when she eats this food, so I'm sticking with it.
I know, I'm tempted just to leave him eating this. But I was talking to my mom who fed one of her dogs Science Diet for the same reason her whole life before she knew better. It kept the dog's stool firm, but she said her dog ended up with terrible arthritis at too young an age, and she attributed it to poor diet. I had a dog who I used to cook dog food for. She was so incredibly healthy and energetic, no pain or arthritis - no one could believe she was 15! (Though she did die of CHF but I understand it's prevalent in her breed). So I'm torn. Wish I could find a high-quality food that didn't give Finn non-stop diarrhea. Maybe as he continues to get healthier and his gut continues to heal, he'll be able to tolerate it more.

I had a friend stop by, so I let the boys out again (taking full advantage of courage that comes from having backup - ha!). It helped to have my friend as a distraction. The cats did fine. They behave when people are here. It's when they're alone that they become ornery. It's really interesting to watch the difference between Finn and Charlie when they aren't interacting. Charlie the house cat wants to lay on his cat condo and snooze. Finn the street cat is restless and is pacing the house, going from window to window, unable to settle down.

And they are BOTH the culprits in their tiffs - no innocent victims here! I literally just watched Charlie growl at Finn and lay himself across the doorway so that Finn couldn't leave the room, but would growl at him when he approached Charlie. I carried him across the threshold and set him free. Charlie, disappointed, leaves his guard post at the door. Then Finn starts stalking Charlie and pounces him. Cue more growls and hisses. I hear pitter patter of Charlie's feet approaching from the other hallway. I see Finn's face appear low-to-the-ground around the corner, waiting to pounce. He sees me watching and he immediately straightens up and gets a nonchalant look on his face! I need to remind myself of this next time one of them gets victimized before I start feeling too sorry for him. No innocent party here, not one! :updown:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No innocent party but really, both are innocent. Lol It’s still a learning process for both. The back and forth is working out the balance. Very observant that Charlie is the relaxed house cat and Finn is the restless street cat. Finn is relaxed in his room though. It’s that, “I’m safe in my house and Charlie is still trying to own the rest of the world, wouldvreclaim this room too if he could.” That see saw will level out in time. Decompression can be as long as you need it to be. You need to get through classes. Having company is a great time to free the beasts! Lol The extra human is a distraction for you and kind of removes you from their desire to get Mom’s attention. Having company also benefits in the socializing of Finn. Plus, plus. Just stay the course as you have been. You are doing great! If you want to change the food, a spoonful added at a time over a long period. Finn can’t afford to keep an upset stomach forever. Make notes on both kitties before Tuesday and update the vet while you are there. Any changes need to be run by them before attempting them. The diarrhea is a definite mention. The bone broth should be giving Charlie hydration but if his urine stays really potent, make sure the vet knows. They can advise about increases in water or decreases in bone broth. Any big changes should hold off for now. Everything by degrees. Slow and steady wins every time. Hey kitties! :hellosmiley:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I'm tempted just to leave him eating this. But I was talking to my mom who fed one of her dogs Science Diet for the same reason her whole life before she knew better. It kept the dog's stool firm, but she said her dog ended up with terrible arthritis at too young an age, and she attributed it to poor diet. I had a dog who I used to cook dog food for. She was so incredibly healthy and energetic, no pain or arthritis - no one could believe she was 15! (Though she did die of CHF but I understand it's prevalent in her breed). So I'm torn. Wish I could find a high-quality food that didn't give Finn non-stop diarrhea. Maybe as he continues to get healthier and his gut continues to heal, he'll be able to tolerate it more.
I had a cat who had to be on Science Diet C/D for urinary problems, and it worked and she did fine and lived years so it can work and it definitely helped with the urinary issues, so...there's time to figure that out and maybe find another food in time. Meaning there's enough going on now with your school and introductions so I would not sweat it right now. First things first. But I know I would read the ingredients and think "Yuck."
Finn sure is a talker!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I'm torn. Wish I could find a high-quality food that didn't give Finn non-stop diarrhea. Maybe as he continues to get healthier and his gut continues to heal, he'll be able to tolerate it more.
It's tough trying to be a good cat mom. :sigh: But if the high quality food gives Finn non-stop diarrhea, his body wouldn't be getting all the nutrients anyway, so it really wouldn't be worth it. And, like with human food, the studies are always changing what's good for us and what isn't. So for now, at least, I'd continue feeding Finn the food that agrees with him.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No innocent party but really, both are innocent. Lol It’s still a learning process for both. The back and forth is working out the balance. Very observant that Charlie is the relaxed house cat and Finn is the restless street cat. Finn is relaxed in his room though. It’s that, “I’m safe in my house and Charlie is still trying to own the rest of the world, wouldvreclaim this room too if he could.” That see saw will level out in time. Decompression can be as long as you need it to be. You need to get through classes. Having company is a great time to free the beasts! Lol The extra human is a distraction for you and kind of removes you from their desire to get Mom’s attention. Having company also benefits in the socializing of Finn. Plus, plus. Just stay the course as you have been. You are doing great! If you want to change the food, a spoonful added at a time over a long period. Finn can’t afford to keep an upset stomach forever. Make notes on both kitties before Tuesday and update the vet while you are there. Any changes need to be run by them before attempting them. The diarrhea is a definite mention. The bone broth should be giving Charlie hydration but if his urine stays really potent, make sure the vet knows. They can advise about increases in water or decreases in bone broth. Any big changes should hold off for now. Everything by degrees. Slow and steady wins every time. Hey kitties! :hellosmiley:
As always, very good advice, Jcatbird! Thank you! I'm eagle-eyeing Charlie constantly now. His weight is still dropping, but I had already cut back his food serving in an effort to drop some weight from his joints. He's also a lot more active now with Finn. I just need to make sure it's not kidney-related. When I smelled that pee yesterday, my radar went up. I'll make notes on the cats for the vet visit tomorrow. If nothing else, it'll be another chance to bond over the trauma of it all. ;)

Good insight on Finn not always feeling safe. He puts on such a cocky front that I do often forget that he likely still feels threatened. I feel bad because he literally spends half his life in that room. I have him in bed every night til 8 due to his incessant crying and agitation that starts up in the evenings. I feed him his last meal, then turn on his music for cats, and he settles down. I wonder if that incessant crying is because he knows he gets one more meal and he wants it NOW, or if it's restlessness from living on the streets and that's when he got active?

I do need to get a cat superhighway made somehow, but man they are SO expensive! I don't allow the cats to jump on my counters or tables, so other than the 2 cat condos/trees I have, there isn't much height or climbing for them to do, and I can only exercise them so much before we all get bored. I do think they need more stimulation, more climbing, more hidey holes. I'll get to it. Thank you thank you for your input, always!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
As always, very good advice, Jcatbird! Thank you! I'm eagle-eyeing Charlie constantly now. His weight is still dropping, but I had already cut back his food serving in an effort to drop some weight from his joints. He's also a lot more active now with Finn. I just need to make sure it's not kidney-related. When I smelled that pee yesterday, my radar went up. I'll make notes on the cats for the vet visit tomorrow. If nothing else, it'll be another chance to bond over the trauma of it all. ;)
Good luck at the vet tomorrow!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem like they are trying to work things out, I remember you mentioned Finn was in charlies spot once.
Maybe getting new stuff like the superhighway or cat tree will help Finn know something belongs to him?
and Charlie doesn't own it yet so it may be ok with him.