I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was a good day - Finn did really well in his cage for quite a while today. Fortunately the bunny showed up fairly soon after I put him in his cage; all that was missing was popcorn for the show!

Usually Charlie is very interested in Finn, and Finn does not reciprocate. Today Finn actually initiated some patty-cake - talk about making my heart happy! After Finn had been in the cage for a few hours and I returned him to his room, Charlie retired to his cat tree and moped. I think he really enjoys having Finn here. Hopefully Finn will return the sentiment in the near future!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Finn is well on his way to having a bond with Charlie. Playing patty cake is a great start. Yeah! Go boys! :clap2:
I made a cute video with music but it didn't upload correctly, working on getting it up. My post probably seems a little odd without it! :lol:

I may have to use the old Amazon way:

Amazon Photos

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww! The video is awesome! I think the cage makes Finn feel secure. That’s true play! A little tail grabbing and return paw grabbing but no one got upset. This is wonderful and it looked like they were having fun! Yay! Made my day!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick little update. I had a study partner over here today working on a school project and had Finn in his cage in the living room where we were working. Charlie and Finn hung out all day and did so well together! Study partner is a cat person and kept encouraging me to let Finn out since she was here to keep me distracted, so I did.

Much better today. I don't want to restart integrations yet, I want Finn to continue to build comfort being out in the house. But it was also good to see an improved interaction! Charlie just can't help himself; he goes into stare-down, then crouch and stalk mode (not playful). The difference was that this time, Finn just darted away from him. The one time Charlie lunged at Finn, Finn chased him and bit him (no punctures, just the dominating back-of-the-neck bite), and Charlie cowered. After that any time Finn looked like he was going to Chase, Charlie would turn tail and hide. Finn let him go rather than chase him more and corner him - that right there is huge!

Finn is back in his room with the door open and jerry-rigged gates up. As I was typing this I heard Charlie crying, so I went to investigate. I found him laying outside Finn's door!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s getting so that every time I just want to :clap2::goldstar: :p
Ahhh thank you, me too!!

I'm just popping in quickly as I'm prepping for midterms already!
Today I left Finn in his cage in the living room with Charlie when I went to lab in the afternoon. Then I put him in his room when I got home, but Charlie was crying for him so I let him out for a few minutes. They did great! Charlie is still very nervous when Finn approaches but he did not swat him today! Finn still seemed like he was ready to pounce or chase with sudden movements, but he managed to overcome his urges. :lol: I only had him out for a grand total of 5 minutes as I really wanted it to end on a good note and establish a new pattern.

Here's a question. I'm trying to decipher Finn's readiness to be out with Charlie more, and I can't quite figure it out yet. Charlie cries for Finn when I put him back in his room. Charlie is showing interest now by laying outside his door. After I returned Finn to his room tonight and fed them, I came to find Charlie like this, just waiting for him!

As you can see, Finn is nowhere to be seen. He doesn't show as much interest in Charlie as Charlie does in him. Does this mean that Finn is not quite ready, yet? Should I wait til Finn shows equal interest?

Tonight I put Charlie in Finn's room and let Finn have the run of the house. The good news is that Charlie did NOT spray his litter box tonight. Once I had Finn back in his room, I did invite Charlie into the room with us while I held Finn. Charlie came in eagerly and jumped on the bed, Finn tapped his face with his paw, but there was no territorial behavior that I noticed from either of them. Happy!

Finally, my vet called today and said they had the results of Charlie's bloodwork. His kidney values are borderline high. He told me about another blood test we could do that would be more specific and accurate for kidney issues that I will have done after midterms. In the meantime, any suggestions or insight in steps I should be taking now are welcome!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, this made me laugh yesterday. Finn was avidly watching the bunny through the window. Charlie was having a hard day yesterday and was acting put out. I invited him to join us up on the chaise, and he jumped up but he sat himself right in front of Finn's line of sight. Finn reached through the bars and tried to push on Charlie's butt - not smacking it, but pushing on it like "MOVE!" That's when I realized that it was intentional and died laughing. You can see the nonplussed look on Finn's face, then he turns his back in disgust. So stinking cute!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First to address Charlie. The blood work only gives a hint and it may be nothing but if he starts throwing up, urinating way more than usual or drinking more than usual, you will need to get him on back since it can be infection starting. Best to ask the vet and maybe post to others here who concentrate on nutrition for special issues. The nutrition/health forum.

The video is priceless! They are so totally bonding. Charlie! Bunny blocking! Finn certainly made a statement! Lolololol
I would continue a while longer with your present routine. Let it all be consistent a to cement the relationship. Don’t mess with success! They just reached this stage so my best guess is to let them enjoy this stable time a bit before another change. I think when they are both out it’s going to be much calmer than it was before. I really love watching them together. Charlie really loves watching Finn. Since he used to watch Finn outside, he must be very glad to finally have his Bunny buddy inside.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First to address Charlie. The blood work only gives a hint and it may be nothing but if he starts throwing up, urinating way more than usual or drinking more than usual, you will need to get him on back since it can be infection starting. Best to ask the vet and maybe post to others here who concentrate on nutrition for special issues. The nutrition/health forum.

The video is priceless! They are so totally bonding. Charlie! Bunny blocking! Finn certainly made a statement! Lolololol
I would continue a while longer with your present routine. Let it all be consistent a to cement the relationship. Don’t mess with success! They just reached this stage so my best guess is to let them enjoy this stable time a bit before another change. I think when they are both out it’s going to be much calmer than it was before. I really love watching them together. Charlie really loves watching Finn. Since he used to watch Finn outside, he must be very glad to finally have his Bunny buddy inside.
Okay, I am keeping an eye on Charlie to make sure nothing sinister is going on. He has not finished his last couple meals, but I've been feeding him in strange places (I fed him in the living room where Finn's cage was, and he never eats there), so tomorrow I'll feed him in his usual place and check to see if he finishes his food. His kidney values weren't officially high yet but they were riiiiiight there, so I certainly want to head anything off before it becomes a problem.

I really hope that he and Finn can bond and enjoy each other's company - he is def more active with Finn around, which will be so good for his weight and health. I took another vid tonight and you can see him trying so hard to be playful with Finn. Finn likes to watch and pounce. Charlie is fine with that because he knows Finn can't get past the barrier. But if Finn were to do this outside the barrier, it would freak Charlie out. I'm hoping Finn will sense not to do that right away; he didn't do it the other night when I let him out for a few mins. I was tempted to let Finn out tonight and then remembered your words about giving it more time, so that's what I'll do. You've been right every time so far, so I'm following that advice. ;)

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, we just had a little setback, I think. Finn has been cooped up so much and I am hardly going to be home at all this coming week, so I let him out for a few minutes while I got dinner ready for the two of them. Charlie was doing some persistent butt-sniffing, would not give it a rest. Finn was decently patient but then turned to face him. Charlie swatted Finn HARD - it was with intent, so of course they wrapped their arms around each other's necks with Charlie hissing and prepared to go for it. I stepped in. I got them their food and then fed Finn in his cage and Charlie on the floor. When they were done, I took Finn back to his room and he was really bitey. I notice he's been pushing limits on nipping here and there, but tonight he nipped me once and then again a few minutes later, a little harder, so I left the room. I'm assuming he's 1.) sick of being cooped up (it's been almost 10 weeks cooped up in that room) and 2.) he's probably wired after the altercation with Charlie.

Earlier today Finn was in his cage and Charlie was laying on the chaise in between Finn and me. Finn stuck his foot out and tapped Charlie, but I noticed it was claws-out and persistent. He nicked Charlie's leg, I think, because Charlie bolted upright and swatted him. They proceeded to patty-cake and snap at the air, but Finn did bite his toy in the cage with some pressure. What is going on? Am I doing more harm than good by keeping Finn cooped up for so long and making him testy?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, I was just thinking about Joey how he has improved so much lately, I have been crediting the CBD but forgot I was also scruffing and hissing when he was biting me, he was biting me a lot tho!
He hasn't bit me since, I know you don't want to scruff but maybe hissing. Maybe Finn needs to know the biting is not ok!

but on a positive note, they have not had a full blown fight, so there is constraint going on, don't give up girl! Don't feel guilty, It does bad things to what's going on, Finn has got a good home and he probably likes Charlie, just doesn't know how! I know from mistakes, let it roll off your shoulders and try again, you do not have as far to go as I do.
Keep it up, I'm sure jcatbird will have better advise as soon as she can.

backwards steps are normal, but it wasn't a fight so that is something!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmm, I was just thinking about Joey how he has improved so much lately, I have been crediting the CBD but forgot I was also scruffing and hissing when he was biting me, he was biting me a lot tho!
He hasn't bit me since, I know you don't want to scruff but maybe hissing. Maybe Finn needs to know the biting is not ok!

but on a positive note, they have not had a full blown fight, so there is constraint going on, don't give up girl! Don't feel guilty, It does bad things to what's going on, Finn has got a good home and he probably likes Charlie, just doesn't know how! I know from mistakes, let it roll off your shoulders and try again, you do not have as far to go as I do.
Keep it up, I'm sure jcatbird will have better advise as soon as she can.

backwards steps are normal, but it wasn't a fight so that is something!!
Thanks, Walli. I'm wondering at what point I just let them work it out? This morning I have Finn's door open and the barrier up. Charlie is crying for Finn, and Finn is mock-charging the gate and climbing it. It appears playful, but who knows what would happen if the barrier wasn't there.

Is it creating resentment for Finn to see Charlie moving freely around the house while he can only watch? Or do cats not think like that? Am I increasing tensions between them by not allowing them to "work it out"? How long do I keep this up?:dunno: