I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, I am still fairly new to TNVR, so better ideas might come along,
but I place smooth cardboard covered with soft blanket on one end of trap,
and put crumpled up, messy looking "puppy pads" on other end, and most cats seem to pee on the puppy pads since it is easier to for them to 'bury' it somewhat.
when i pull the puppy pads out, sometimes i leave it like that, wth no pads INSIDE the trap,
and just have pads Under the trap, and swap out those,

and sometimes, i am able to re-stuff a new puppy pad into one end of the trap,
but, it is not an idea set up, it is kinda one of those things you just kind of have to suffer through for one (1) day, until he can move into the larger recovery suite.
Maybe others will have better ideas on that.

Sometimes i am able to stuff a fresh clean puppy pad in between the bars, and sometimes, i can sneak the door open just a tad to stuff it in. depends.

at any rate, you have to be Super careful even opening the trap door for even a tiny bit, as the cat will try to bolt through it,
Or possibly even scratch you out of pain and fear,
so, if you can not remove/replace a wet puppy pad? that is gonna be less traumatic to Mr Cat there,
than running wild and loose with his stitches all ripping open if he gets loose.
I sort of resign myself that is it Not going to be his favorite day of the year, but it is for a good cause.

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE: fleas.

for some reason, i have been extremely lucky, that even though i have every feral i catch treated for fleas, so i am braced for fleas jumping off of them during recovery,
i don't see fleas, nor get bit, nor fight fleas.

I sit outdoors in the area where the ferals live, and a few of them do rub all on me, and i still do not get flea bites, i guess i am lucky.

I did buy a flea spray to use in my car after transport,
and i used to spray my car "just in case" although, i never see fleas,
now i do not spray flea-killer in my car anymore.
for real, i never do anymore. Is no fleas.

I need to learn the name of the flea killer they give my feral cats, because i think i recall the fleas will soon die :runaround:even if/after they jump off the cat, but, i may be remembering that incorrectly.

You could set off a flea bomb in your garage, after the cat is not in the garage ,
and i would assume you might not be able to allow the cat back in there for quite some time....
which may not be ideal, as the cat would be confused why he can't eat in there anymore?

but honestly, i do not know a whole lot about managing fleas, as we've never had them .
Hopefully, someone smarter than me will be along!!!:lol:
but, like you, when i first started doing TNVR, i was Really concerned about fleas and other things,
but,
it has not been a problem for me.

You might be okay just keeping Mr Cat in the small bathroom, and spray that well after he is not in there anymore?
and probably ensure your resident cat does not get into that bathroom for however long the instructions say.

You could also use a rolled up towel to block the under the bathroom door area.
Be sure to get info from vet about what to expect so far as living fleas being a problem after having Mr Cat in your bathroom...?

and ya know,
if you set Mr Cat free again, he WILL contract fleas again at some point,
but i still treat the fleas anyway, if only to give the little fella some relief and a chance to gain some proper weight.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I am dreading the bill for this vet visit on Monday. I originally had an appointment for TNR neuter at a low-cost clinic, but I took Charlie in for vet appointment last week and my vet spent so much time with me discussing this feral, and loaned me his trap, and charged me virtually nothing for Charlie's vet visit and all the time he spent with me, so I wanted to give him the business as thanks for always taking such good care of me (he's been my vet for 15 years). I scheduled the appt with him and canceled the local spay/neuter clinic to open up a slot for another lucky kitty.

Thank you for the tips on transporting him. I was wondering what I was going to do about his bathroom needs while he's in the trap? If he uses the bathroom while in there, there won't be much room to get away from the mess. Thinking of the 24 hours he must remain in there post-op. And the fleas...is my car going to be infested with fleas once I transport him?

I will do as you suggest and keep him in trap for 24 hrs and then transfer to his larger cage. I need to get that assembled today. I do have a small litter box that will fit. I'm just concerned about any fleas currently in my garage re-infecting him while he recovers there? The garage is full of items that would be impossible for me to move alone (shelving, fridge, freezers, washer/dryer, etc. ATV, and then many boxes from my move which I'm storing). So washing it down with dish soap is not an option. How long will it take the fleas to leave my garage or die without a host? I could keep him in guest bathroom to recover while evicting the fleas prior to freeing him outside, I just do not want to upset Charlie and deal with more spraying...
You shouldn't have to worry about fleas, your vet can give him a dose of revolution or something similar that will kill any fleas on him and prevent them from re-infesting him. Your garage I wouldn't worry about either, they'll die off on their own with nothing to eat, likewise your car but if you want to be extra sure just leave it out in the hot sun all day and that will kill any fleas that may be in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
RE: fleas.

for some reason, i have been extremely lucky, that even though i have every feral i catch treated for fleas, so i am braced for fleas jumping off of them during recovery,
i don't see fleas, nor get bit, nor fight fleas.

I sit outdoors in the area where the ferals live, and a few of them do rub all on me, and i still do not get flea bites, i guess i am lucky.

I did buy a flea spray to use in my car after transport,
and i used to spray my car "just in case" although, i never see fleas,
now i do not spray flea-killer in my car anymore.
for real, i never do anymore. Is no fleas.

I need to learn the name of the flea killer they give my feral cats, because i think i recall the fleas will soon die :runaround:even if/after they jump off the cat, but, i may be remembering that incorrectly.

You could set off a flea bomb in your garage, after the cat is not in the garage ,
and i would assume you might not be able to allow the cat back in there for quite some time....
which may not be ideal, as the cat would be confused why he can't eat in there anymore?

but honestly, i do not know a whole lot about managing fleas, as we've never had them .
Hopefully, someone smarter than me will be along!!!:lol:
but, like you, when i first started doing TNVR, i was Really concerned about fleas and other things,
but,
it has not been a problem for me.

You might be okay just keeping Mr Cat in the small bathroom, and spray that well after he is not in there anymore?
and probably ensure your resident cat does not get into that bathroom for however long the instructions say.

You could also use a rolled up towel to block the under the bathroom door area.
Be sure to get info from vet about what to expect so far as living fleas being a problem after having Mr Cat in your bathroom...?

and ya know,
if you set Mr Cat free again, he WILL contract fleas again at some point,
but i still treat the fleas anyway, if only to give the little fella some relief and a chance to gain some proper weight.
You are so lucky! I was such a noob when I let Charlie move in; I had no idea about fleas. I did take him for his initial vet visit, blood panel, check for diseases etc, but never thought to look for fleas! Vet didn't see them either; his coat is so thick and semi-long. I ended up with a huge infestation, and I FREAKED. Went through 3 large tubs of Tide; washed everything in the house that could be washed multiple times, vacuumed the whole house daily, sometimes more than once a day, it was bad. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
I need to go pick up some tuna to lure him, so I will look for flea spray for my car, thanks!

Now that I can touch him, I should have no problem getting Revolution on him on a monthly basis. Phew.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your garage I wouldn't worry about either, they'll die off on their own with nothing to eat, likewise your car but if you want to be extra sure just leave it out in the hot sun all day and that will kill any fleas that may be in it.
I didn't know the hot sun would kill the fleas! That's good to know - thanks!

I'm fairly sure he has lice, too, so will see if that will be killed by the Revolution. I could not be any more creeped out - taking multiple showers a day. I have been using white cheese cloths to sit on outside and for him to sit on to see if I can spot any fleas or flea dirt. I collected them in a large ziplock back this morning and let the bag swell with the heat. I can see them crawling around in the bag trying to escape! I had to google "cat lice" to see the name and pictures, and I'm fairly certain that's what I'm seeing around his face and ears. His fur is covered in those eggs which might explain the bald spots. Poor guy! Two more days before I can get him some relief. And me. *shudder*

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ha ha, yeah, that sounds pretty unpleasant!! But, on the bright side, things we learn the hard way? often tend to be permanently remembered. It is probably a mistake that you will never make again, is my 2cents guess on That!!:lol:

see, I DO always have my ferals treated, i think they use "advantage" on my ferals. must work, i never end up with fleas in here, nor my car, but be sure to ask your vet about which flea and tick meds s/he is using, and how long to take effect, etc. so you will feel more assured your home is safe.

I was just like you at first, i kind of saw ferals as fleabags about to ruin my life,:( so i took lots of precautions,
but, turns out, i have either been lucky, or the stuff they put on my ferals is good stuff, cuz, no fleas in my home or car. and the cats have to feel better, if only for a while, just to get some relief.

I love ferals now, and have no fear of cooties anymore. I have a few wild ones i pet every day.
I now feel very large amount of satisfaction in helping improve the lives of these sweet little creatures out there just trying to make it.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love ferals now, and have no fear of cooties anymore. I have a few wild ones i pet every day.
I now feel very large amount of satisfaction in helping improve the lives of these sweet little creatures out there just trying to make it.
I agree wholeheartedly. Ferals don't give me the cooties, but the parasites that feed on them do. Regardless, my love for animals, particularly ones that need help, supersedes my revulsion of parasites. I will suffer cooties any day to help an animal, any animal, that needs help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! regarding the weight loss issue, slowly is the only way to accomplish this. You could try putting his food where he needs to jump up a little (at first, then as time goes on higher). Try food puzzles (there are freeze dried treats that might work without adding to the carb load.

Also, could you take him for walks, depending on the vicinity of the other cats.

Maybe there's something here;

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put pee pads under the trap, the trap has holes in it so under the trap is best, if you try to put it inside it will be a mess and he can possibly get out if trying to do anything in the trap while he is in there. just be prepared for it. that's all!

Also be prepared to feed him while he is in the trap, be extra careful opening the door, you can make something (think fork) to put into the holes of the trap so he can't get through when you are putting food and water in there, also the back side of the trap has a sliding gate, you can open it partway to slide the food and water in there.

Only saying this as a precaution, most likely he will be at the back of the trap if you try and open the door, freakouts can happen tho, if your prepared for them a lot less stress.

I had to capture my Walli without a trap, she had already been TNR'd
I envisioned everything going a certain way and nope, it was a freakout!
Your kitty is already warming up to you, huge plus!!!
Rooting for you over here in San Diego!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! regarding the weight loss issue, slowly is the only way to accomplish this. You could try putting his food where he needs to jump up a little (at first, then as time goes on higher). Try food puzzles (there are freeze dried treats that might work without adding to the carb load.

Also, could you take him for walks, depending on the vicinity of the other cats.

Maybe there's something here;

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats
Hi! I was just checking out that link today! I have some of the toys but added a couple to my Amazon cart to check out later.

I actually took him outside in the spring on a leash, and he did shockingly well! However, he paced around the house, restless and crying afterward, and I wasn't sure if it had made him long for the outdoors and whether that was such a good thing. I also worried about picking up fleas. I try not to medicate or vaccinate him unnecessarily as I have concerns about the impact on their lives. I worry a lot, I've been told. ;)

I like the idea of putting his food up somewhere; perhaps I could feed him in the guest tub where he would have to jump over the lip - good thought, thanks!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can put pee pads under the trap, the trap has holes in it so under the trap is best, if you try to put it inside it will be a mess and he can possibly get out if trying to do anything in the trap while he is in there. just be prepared for it. that's all!

Also be prepared to feed him while he is in the trap, be extra careful opening the door, you can make something (think fork) to put into the holes of the trap so he can't get through when you are putting food and water in there, also the back side of the trap has a sliding gate, you can open it partway to slide the food and water in there.

Only saying this as a precaution, most likely he will be at the back of the trap if you try and open the door, freakouts can happen tho, if your prepared for them a lot less stress.

I had to capture my Walli without a trap, she had already been TNR'd
I envisioned everything going a certain way and nope, it was a freakout!
Your kitty is already warming up to you, huge plus!!!
Rooting for you over here in San Diego!!
Oh my word, how did you possibly capture her without a trap! I cannot imagine - hats off to you!

I think if I had a carrier I might even be able to get this guy into a carrier. I use the Cat-in-the-Bag for Charlie's vet trips, so I don't even own a carrier. I've also been checking our weather, and we are supposed to get rain from the storms down south on Monday, so I may need to consider trapping him Sunday night (for fear that he won't come out in the rain) and keeping him in my garage in the trap. That should make for a fun night. :updown: So glad I have you guys to coach me!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my word, how did you possibly capture her without a trap! I cannot imagine - hats off to you!

I think if I had a carrier I might even be able to get this guy into a carrier. I use the Cat-in-the-Bag for Charlie's vet trips, so I don't even own a carrier. I've also been checking our weather, and we are supposed to get rain from the storms down south on Monday, so I may need to consider trapping him Sunday night (for fear that he won't come out in the rain) and keeping him in my garage in the trap. That should make for a fun night. :updown: So glad I have you guys to coach me!
If he goes in your garage for shelter you could try and get him in there Sunday night, if he's in there and it starts raining he's probably going to stay in there. Set the trap with food in it early in the morning and you should be able to trap him since you've been getting him used to it already.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:vibes::goodluck: with everything :)!
Thank you! He disappeared yesterday and was not around at all today, so I was wondering if he was going to show up for his party. He just showed up for dinner...apparently he never misses dinner. ;)

I did notice another issue that I have not seen today. This is going to be gross, so if you're squeamish stop reading and ignore!
But he was leaking pus from his bum today. I would have chalked it up as a worm making it's debut, but it was green tinged and it really looked like pus. Any idea of what might cause this? Tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know but I'm thinking he may have eaten something that didn't settle well and either that itself is causing what will end up being gassy diarrhea, and/or he had an upset tummy and ate a lot of grass and that's causing the color. Whichever the case hopefully he's ok until he gets to the vet :crossfingers:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick question:
At what time should I try to lock him in my garage? As in - after the sun goes down? At what time do cats get "prowly"? Does it matter? I can't decide whether to lock him in the garage overnight - will he be so freaked out in the morning that he no longer trusts me, and then I won't be able to get him in the trap? Will he know how to use a litterbox, or will he pee and poop all over my garage? Would it be better to trap him before bed, then put him in the garage overnight, or will that be more traumatizing than anything? Suggestions?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven’t handled him before now, it’s probably best to get him while you can. I prefer to put them in the trap in early morning just before the vet visit. If you can close him in the garage, better do it now. You have a doggie door as I recall. You can put the trap on the inside there in garage in the morning to give the illusion that he can go out that way. A small treat in the cage may be required. Don’t risk opening the doggie door. They are great at escaping and always seem to vanish before a vet check. It really boils down to, if he needs vet care, he needs to get there. Make sure to mention the green stuff to the vet. Get a sample if you can. He probably won’t poop everywhere but give him a box and maybe some newspaper or something similar as an option. He will want to cover his poop. I usually add some leaves or grass to the surface of the litter for beginners. It reminds them of outside.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you haven’t handled him before now, it’s probably best to get him while you can. I prefer to put them in the trap in early morning just before the vet visit. If you can close him in the garage, better do it now. You have a doggie door as I recall. You can put the trap on the inside there in garage in the morning to give the illusion that he can go out that way. A small treat in the cage may be required. Don’t risk opening the doggie door. They are great at escaping and always seem to vanish before a vet check. It really boils down to, if he needs vet care, he needs to get there. Make sure to mention the green stuff to the vet. Get a sample if you can. He probably won’t poop everywhere but give him a box and maybe some newspaper or something similar as an option. He will want to cover his poop. I usually add some leaves or grass to the surface of the litter for beginners. It reminds them of outside.
Thanks for your reply! I have a litterbox in there but don't know if he would even know what it is - thank you for the leaf idea, I'll do that! I can block the doggy door so he can't escape. I had planned to trap him in the morning, but we have a storm rolling in early in the morning, and I don't know where he takes cover during storms, but pretty sure it's not in my garage. I think he goes back to his old hiding place, wherever that is. So I doubt he'll be here. I need to take action tonight as far as securing him, just wasn't sure if I should risk leaving him loose in the garage all night, or if it would be cruel to keep him in the trap all night. :dunno:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be able to convince he to take shelter in the trap. Put a comfy towel in there, cover the trap except for the front and place it somewhere he likes to be. Put his food nearby and see if he will sleep there. Can you get him to go in the trap in the morning?