I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I am hoping it is not too long, as I am interested to hear about the next chapter of these:lovecat2::lovecat2: (hopefully) "Soon To Be Catbuddies" !?
:popcorn:

Does little Finn "seem" well to you? Any further discharge ?
Hi!! Finn seems very well and shows no symptoms. He's energetic, licks his bowl clean at meal times, and there isn't any discharge. He plays with gusto! I'm almost certain the URI is gone, I just don't know if there is any kind of contagion that lingers? Like - I've read that some cat viruses can exist outside the host for 10 days. So if he shed the virus in that room, but he is through it now, can he be reinfected by the virus that may be in the carpet or on a litter box? How do I know when all contagion threat has passed?

Charlie and he were crying through the door at each other last night. They seem curious and ready to meet, but I definitely want to do scent-swapping first for Charlie. Just today I brought a sock in that I rubbed all over Charlie and laid on the bed. Finn immediately laid his head on the sock and then rolled over on it. I think he really wants a friend. Charlie might need convincing. He needs Finn's scent to be brought into his part of the house. When can I do this, any thoughts?

I'll be honest, I'm chomping at the bit. I'm spending about an hour with him each time I go into the room to feed him or clean litter box, to play and to build relationship. It's very little time compared to all the time little Finn spends along in there, yet it's still 4 hours out of every day that I'm 'removed' from my life and things I need to be getting done. I don't want to rush things, but I do want to get this process started. I just can't figure out exactly how much time needs to elapse!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't help with your URI question. Can you ask your vet for their advice? Google found this, btw, that seems to cover everything: Feline Upper Respiratory Infection
I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and see what they say. So far after everything I've been reading, it seems like there simply is no clear answer. Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested that I wait a while longer, so that's what I'm doing. The impatient part of me is now asking, "But how much longer?" We talking a few days, another week, another month? I need a number, a plan, a goal, something..:lol:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of Finn when he was outside and I saw discharge from his eye. Back in June he had more distinctly green droplets coming from his eye. This pic was taken in July, and it looked improved. Still eye boogers and partial 3rd eyelids showing. Kind of squinty sometimes. He seemed pretty cleared up by the time I trapped him, but when I got him home from the vet he was sneezy, felt hot, lethargic, and hoarse, with a wetter nose than what he has now. Then again, he had just been trapped, traumatized, neutered, and vaccinated. Maybe he has Herpes and relapsed when he was at the vet? Or maybe he was on the tail end of it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your vet probably knows best. Hopefully not too much longer. :crossfingers:

How are your bites, btw? Healing ok?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in here. I've read this entire post from page 1, till now. And I think its amazing what you are doing, for Finn. I truly believe Charlie and Finn will become friends. You've done so much for this sweet cat.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your vet probably knows best. Hopefully not too much longer. :crossfingers:

How are your bites, btw? Healing ok?
Bites are healing just fine! Three times now he has gone to bite me, almost like a knee-jerk response, but then has caught himself before applying any pressure. Literally mouth-to-arm, then stops dead with an "OOPS" look. He never, ever looks remorseful, though.
:lol2:
He is super lovey, still hungry for love and attention. We have much more contact now and he's handling it well. Right now he is crying loudly and pitifully from his room, wanting more attention (I just left). He's a bit of a velcro cat, poor baby. I sure wish I knew his history.

The other morning I was cleaning out his litter box and didn't know he had come up behind me. I reached back behind me for the litter genie, and accidentally thumped him on the head. The way he cowered and was instantly seized by fear and the look he gave me told me he's definitely been hit before. I've suspected it the whole time, but I was sure of it then. Pierced my heart.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in here. I've read this entire post from page 1, till now. And I think its amazing what you are doing, for Finn. I truly believe Charlie and Finn will become friends. You've done so much for this sweet cat.
Thanks so much for your sweet words! I cannot even picture what will happen with these two, but I hope you are right. I think you are. ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Love the photo as always. I heard you tagging me!!:lol: You rang? I hate to tell you but I cannot give you a 100% all clear. You vet needs to direct you. It can still be transmissible at 21 days for some virus caused problems. You wrote the first post July 7 th? Sorry. I would wait. :(
Sorry Finn! Sorry Charlie!
Call the vet first thing tomorrow and get a specific timeline. They really should not mind. A simple question. You put in the call and they’ll return it when they have time. I know it’s really hard to wait. Gosh knows I have wanted to just fling open the doors before. More than once.:bliss:Set my kitties free!!!!!
It does pay to wait though. :hangin:Just a little longer. You can’t “stuff the Genie back in the bottle.” :sorry: You are doing the right thing! :redheartpump:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is just the sweetest picture. The two of you were so meant to be together! Thank you so much for taking a chance on this little one!
:hearthrob: Thank YOU for all of your advice and encouragement! Finn is starting to relax and he is just love! :hearthrob:

I heard you tagging me!!:lol: You rang?
:biggrin: Hiiiiii I needed further clarification. And you gave it, ha!

It can still be transmissible at 21 days for some virus caused problems. You wrote the first post July 7 th? Sorry. I would wait. :(
Wellllll...a week from today will be 21 days since Finn came home from the vet. So...you're thinking another week, then? Or longer?

I just went in to play with Finn once more. Charlie sat and hissed at us under the door. Finn made friendly chirpy noises - he so badly wants to be friends. Charlie was having none of it. Reaaallllly anxious to scent-swap, but I won't risk Charlie's health. Ahhhhhh

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:ohwell: I knoooow! It’s awful to make them wait. 21 days for sure. Immunizations help with some things, like most commonly spread stuff but just to be safe....
I know Finn is beyond ready to own the house.:runningcat: I have had kitties try to burst forth before! You can bring the scent of Charlie to Finn but I know you have done some of that already. I expect Charlie is already very aware that Finn is in there. This is really just for going on the side of caution. It’s possible that your vet could tell you different if he has a better idea of what was up with Finn to begin with. I have to tell you to err on the side of caution because I don’t know what your vet knows. I would never want to make a mistake on something that could be really important. I know you cherish those babies and so do we. It really can be a challenge to our patience to hold out though! I am looking forward to the upcoming meeting and integrating of kitties. I can only imagine how everyone there must feel! :dizzycat::climbcat:;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bites are healing just fine! Three times now he has gone to bite me, almost like a knee-jerk response, but then has caught himself before applying any pressure. Literally mouth-to-arm, then stops dead with an "OOPS" look. He never, ever looks remorseful, though.
:lol2:
I'm so happy to read that. I'm a worrier, and my worry intensified every time you said he bit you again. So glad he's learned not to bite. Even if he doesn't look remorseful. :catman:

He is super lovey, still hungry for love and attention. We have much more contact now and he's handling it well. Right now he is crying loudly and pitifully from his room, wanting more attention (I just left). He's a bit of a velcro cat, poor baby. I sure wish I knew his history.
I sometimes feel the same way about my Ruby girl. When I adopted her she was 2 or 3-ish, and had not yet been spayed. She was brought to the shelter by a woman who rescued her from kids that were kicking her. :mad: She had broken upper canine teeth, which had to be extracted, and a wiggly eye, and of course fleas and worms. :( She never, ever shows any interest in going outside, so I really think she knows it's better inside. :hearthrob:

The other morning I was cleaning out his litter box and didn't know he had come up behind me. I reached back behind me for the litter genie, and accidentally thumped him on the head. The way he cowered and was instantly seized by fear and the look he gave me told me he's definitely been hit before. I've suspected it the whole time, but I was sure of it then. Pierced my heart.
Oh, poor Finn. Keep telling him he's safe now, and that you love him. Though I think he already knows that. :petcat: :redheartpump:

I have to tell you to err on the side of caution because I don’t know what your vet knows. I would never want to make a mistake on something that could be really important.
Yeah, erring on the side of caution is probably best. And checking with your vet. Remember "patience is a virtue". :)

Oh, I love, love that picture. :catrub:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sometimes feel the same way about my Ruby girl. When I adopted her she was 2 or 3-ish, and had not yet been spayed. She was brought to the shelter by a woman who rescued her from kids that were kicking her. :mad: She had broken upper canine teeth, which had to be extracted, and a wiggly eye, and of course fleas and worms. :( She never, ever shows any interest in going outside, so I really think she knows it's better inside. :hearthrob:
I am so glad that she ended up with you! I can't understand what would make kids be mean to animals, it's like the antithesis of how things "should" be - it feels that the innocence of children would lend itself to being 'good' and kind to animals. Maybe those kids were older. And maybe compassion isn't innate, but taught, and those kids were never taught. My Charlie is the same way - I can open the front door wide and he just sits and watches from a safe distance in the house. He loves to go outside, but only if he's in my arms and never on his own.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I expect Charlie is already very aware that Finn is in there.
So do you guys feel that scent-swapping is unnecessary for Charlie at this point? When the time comes, should I proceed to the feeding with the door open but baby gates up? Or would placing Finn-scented items near Charlie's favorite spot de-sensitize him?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still scent swap. An up close sniffing may be helpful. Charlie can really go over all the details if he wants to. I think he will. Knowing Finn is there and really examining his scent are a little different. He smells him through the door but a blanket will carry more details. Some cats find this important while others just give it a quick , once over. Some will de mark it by rubbing all over to addtbeir scent. Lol MY BLANKET! :lol: You can also rub a Finn blanket all over Charlie to combine the scents. I do that after ever vet visit if anyone complains about the “smelly cat.” Vet smells often cause a few turned backs or maybe even a rare swat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so glad that she ended up with you! I can't understand what would make kids be mean to animals, it's like the antithesis of how things "should" be - it feels that the innocence of children would lend itself to being 'good' and kind to animals. Maybe those kids were older. And maybe compassion isn't innate, but taught, and those kids were never taught.
Who knows what caused them to be mean to her, but it breaks my heart to imagine my sweet friendly cat being treated that way. :( But she's safe with me now, and couldn't be any more loved. :hearthrob:

My Charlie is the same way - I can open the front door wide and he just sits and watches from a safe distance in the house. He loves to go outside, but only if he's in my arms and never on his own.
Charlie is lucky to have you. And now so is Finn. :heartshape:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet called tonight and said to give it 10 days once from the time symptoms are gone, which puts us at the weekend, so you were right on the money, Jcatbird!
And I don't know if this is just me helicoptering and being paranoid, but Finn wouldn't play much today but was rather lethargic and content to just lay next to me every time I went in to visit. He didn't finish his lunch, and his eyes were glassy tonight. I gave him kibble as I left; he never ever turns down kibble, and he did eat it. So I'm definitely giving it a week. Pic taken this morning when he was a little perkier:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Sometimes it stinks to be right. I am glad we were being safe though. I know your instincts are good but maybe Finn is just starting to settle in a bit. Hopefully. If he continues to be lethargic just give the vet a call back. Sometimes it takes a second round of antibiotics for a cat that was living as a feral. It’s a hard way to survive and his system may just need a little time to rebuild. Very common when we first bring them in. He’s young though and with the care you are giving him now, he should quickly rebuild. Poor little Finn had a rough time before you found each other. I’m so grateful you rescued him! His life is a happy one now. He actually looks really great in the photo. Very bright eyed and alert! I love his expression and that position! :lol: Oh Finn! You are a cutie pie! I just want to snuggle that little face! Perky little whiskers and beautiful eyes. The paws, the paws!
Please let us know how everyone is feeling in the morning. Sending purrs to all! :purr:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Sometimes it stinks to be right. I am glad we were being safe though. I know your instincts are good but maybe Finn is just starting to settle in a bit. Hopefully. If he continues to be lethargic just give the vet a call back. Sometimes it takes a second round of antibiotics for a cat that was living as a feral. It’s a hard way to survive and his system may just need a little time to rebuild. Very common when we first bring them in. He’s young though and with the care you are giving him now, he should quickly rebuild. Poor little Finn had a rough time before you found each other. I’m so grateful you rescued him! His life is a happy one now. He actually looks really great in the photo. Very bright eyed and alert! I love his expression and that position! :lol: Oh Finn! You are a cutie pie! I just want to snuggle that little face! Perky little whiskers and beautiful eyes. The paws, the paws!
Please let us know how everyone is feeling in the morning. Sending purrs to all! :purr:
Thank you much, Jcatbird Jcatbird . What I'm wondering is if the virus is shed the entire time they're contagious and can live for up to 10 days outside of the host, a rescue is confined to a room usually and are not comfortable enough yet for us to go in there and do a deep clean. So is it possible that they are re-infected by the virus they've previously shed? I'm almost wondering if it would be too stressful for me to move him to the guest bathroom while I did a deep-clean of that room. It's carpeted, so I wonder if there's some sort of sanitizing powder I could sprinkle on the carpets and vacuum up.

I also have some leftover antibiotics from Charlie's teeth cleaning, I think. I wonder if I should start him on that? It hasn't expired and is the same kind of antibiotic I was giving Finn. Will see how he is when he wakes up this morning.