i have just adopted a cat

the cat man2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi i have just adopted a cat she is 2 yrs of age i already have a cat who is also 2 the thing is when i introduced my new cat to the smell of my other cat, the cat that i adopted has not stopped hissing growling and scratching. Am i right to just leave my new cat be in a room of her own with all her amenities until she calms down? or should i also be sat in there with her comforting her until she calms down?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You have a two-fold project ahead of you. First, you need to give the new cat time to acclimate to her new home - and you. So, yes, a single room with all of her possessions in it and frequent visits from you. It might be that you simply need to spend time in that room without necessarily approaching her. Sitting on the floor, reading a book softly but out loud will help her get used to you and not feel as if you are threat. Keep some treats with you, and set some out for her a bit of a ways in between the two of you and give her to time to come eat them. Once she does that, you can place your hand out with a few treats in your palm to see if she will eat them from your hand.

Once she is being more receptive, relaxed, and comfortable with her new surroundings, you can then think about the second process - introducing the two cats.

Here are some TCS articles that might help.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't add a thing to that, other than to be aware that many of our most successful introductions have taken weeks, a few have taken months, and have turned out so well! You simply cannot go any faster than the most reluctant cat. Time and patience are your best friends right now.