I Have Cats And I Want To Get A Dog!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But German Shepherds aren't exactly the healthiest breed out there, either, sad..)
This is so true plus a GSD is not the best breed for a first time dog owner especially if you get an alpha dog. I had a GSD who was especially tolerant of our cat, Neely. Both came from a shelter and I worked with them religiously for several years. I used to say Neely thought she was a dog. ;)

Honestly, I have to agree with other members that a Cavalier King Charles is an excellent choice. You also mentioned liking the Maltese breed - I know someone who has a Maltese and a cat that get along famously.
Here is a link that might be helpful: Having a Maltese and a Cat

Personally I think you should narrow down your choices and familiarize yourself with the different breeds, e.g. attend dog shows/talk to breeders, visit shelters, become acquainted with several rescue groups in your area and talk to other cat owners you know who have a dog, (possibly watch how they interact). Once you choose the right dog for you it would be beneficial to go to puppy classes for socialization and basic training. In the end, a lot depends on your individual cats too. Remember it takes diligence and patience if you want to succeed but it can be very rewarding. I was so proud of our cat and dog. They would share the futon in our spare bedroom and sleep side-by-side. :itslove:

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :goodluck:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is so true plus a GSD is not the best breed for a first time dog owner especially if you get an alpha dog. I had a GSD who was especially tolerant of our cat, Neely. Both came from a shelter and I worked with them religiously for several years. I used to say Neely thought she was a dog. ;)

Honestly, I have to agree with other members that a Cavalier King Charles is an excellent choice. You also mentioned liking the Maltese breed - I know someone who has a Maltese and a cat that get along famously.
Here is a link that might be helpful: Having a Maltese and a Cat

Personally I think you should narrow down your choices and familiarize yourself with the different breeds, e.g. attend dog shows/talk to breeders, visit shelters, become acquainted with several rescue groups in your area and talk to other cat owners you know who have a dog, (possibly watch how they interact). Once you choose the right dog for you it would be beneficial to go to puppy classes for socialization and basic training. In the end, a lot depends on your individual cats too. Remember it takes diligence and patience if you want to succeed but it can be very rewarding. I was so proud of our cat and dog. They would share the futon in our spare bedroom and sleep side-by-side. :itslove:

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :goodluck:

I agree getting a gsd isn’t the best option i like the breed but not with cats in lol
I think I’m going to check out some rescue groups for now

Most the people I know have huskies xD
I heard that cavaliers like 80% of them have this genetic heart disease
And looking for a good breeder is nearly impossible I’ve known someone that their dog died for the same thing
I don’t know how I can find a responsible breeder that does all health checks ..etc
I know it’s the same thing for any other breed

I’ve done some researchs earlier and found that Bichon frise best suited my lifestyle and they seem to be good with cats
But the only problem is that they suffer from allergies like from almost anything even food like chicken.. etc
I don’t know if that’s a concern in the whole breed tho or it depends
Top Tips on How to Deal with Allergies in the Bichon Frise | Pets4Homes
Do you know anybody with a bichon frise or know about this breed?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly any breed can have health problems. Certain breeds are more prone to certain problems, e.g. large breeds should be OFA certified for hip and elbow dysplasia, etc. which is why it's important to get to know a breeder and check their lines out thoroughly. No one can predict what may or may not happen down the road but a reputable breeder can work and help guide you to the best match for your circumstances.

A mixed breed might be a suitable choice because you can get the best of more than one breed and possibly reduce some of the health risk factors. However, once again there is no 100% guarantee that a known health problem won't occur in the future.

Regarding a Bichon - yes, they are lovable, cuddly and playful but also note that they can be difficult to housebreak, do not like to be left alone and due to a dense undercoat require regular and consistent grooming. That's not to say a Bichon is not right for you. I'm merely trying to point out that all breeds have their pros and cons. Here is a very helpful article about the Bichon Frise breed:
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bichon-frise#/slide/1

I think what it comes down to is finding a dog, not necessarily a specific breed, that suits you, your cats and your lifestyle. In addition, it takes time, patience and a lot of effort on your part to make things work. But in the end it's worth it because you can have a wonderful and loving forever fur family. :greenpaw::bluepaw: All my best to you on your search.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree getting a gsd isn’t the best option i like the breed but not with cats in lol
I think I’m going to check out some rescue groups for now

Most the people I know have huskies xD
I heard that cavaliers like 80% of them have this genetic heart disease
And looking for a good breeder is nearly impossible I’ve known someone that their dog died for the same thing
I don’t know how I can find a responsible breeder that does all health checks ..etc
I know it’s the same thing for any other breed

I’ve done some researchs earlier and found that Bichon frise best suited my lifestyle and they seem to be good with cats
But the only problem is that they suffer from allergies like from almost anything even food like chicken.. etc
I don’t know if that’s a concern in the whole breed tho or it depends
Top Tips on How to Deal with Allergies in the Bichon Frise | Pets4Homes
Do you know anybody with a bichon frise or know about this breed?
I know they will require a lot of grooming, so that's an added expense, probably monthly, that you should consider. It seems like if your dog is showing signs of an allergy- itching, hot spots, etc. The best thing to do is go to the vet and have them tested for allergies so you can know what it is your dog is allergic to.

I've heard that they are good dogs and a good dog for a first time owner. Probably hard to housebreak like most small dogs, so try not to get too frustrated.

Every breed will have its pros and cons. When you first get a dog its not going to be perfect right away, even if you get an adult dog from a shelter or rescue group. It's going to take time to train them, get into a new routine, introduce them to the cats, and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication and time no matter what breed. And even if you think you've found the perfect breed that on paper does everything right, there are still no guarantees in life. But I think that it will work out for you if you put in the time and training and as much effort into the dog as you do for your cats.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i don’t know if this is the right thread
I have 3 male cats they’ve never seen dogs before and I want a dog (not soon)
The most important thing I want in them is to get along with my cats I know that many will suggest getting a puppy
But I’d like to know if it’s a big dog will he be safe and gentle around my cats when he grows up?
I’ve always wanted a german shepherd but I know they have high prey drive
And I also feed some stray cats in my neighborhood that I don’t want my dog to chase while I take him for a walk.
In my old neighborhood there were 4 stray dogs they were gsd mixed were very friendly and sweet and every time they see me they wag their tails and hang out around my house my brother used to feed them sometimes but they all hate cats except for one that was ok with them but when he’s with his pack he attacks them they even killed my neighbors kitten and they always chase cats around. So I wouldn’t feel safe with a big dog around my cats especially is that they are not friendly 2 are skittish and one is good around people but didn’t try other cats or dogs they are litter mates

So any suggestion?
I know that breeder and training matter
But does the size matter I know my cats might annoy the dog/puppy

I really like large dogs but I think small dogs would be easier to handle
Ps I’ve never owned dogs before
So I don’t have enough experience
Sorry made this too long haha :3
So if you have experience with dogs or owned both dogs and cats can you please
Give me some advices?
We have two cats and currently have two small dogs, a Yorkshire terrier and a Shih Tzu/Poodle mix. Our 12 year old Airedale Terrier named Angus died 3 months ago. Both our cats adored him. He was so gentle and kind. However our cats are not crazy about the two little ones because they do like the chase. They never hurt the cats though.
An idea for you to think about is maybe go through a rescue group or an animal shelter. They can help you find the best match for your cats.
However, whatever way you go it will be a huge adjustment for all of you. Dogs are a tremendous amount of work.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats and currently have two small dogs, a Yorkshire terrier and a Shih Tzu/Poodle mix. Our 12 year old Airedale Terrier named Angus died 3 months ago. Both our cats adored him. He was so gentle and kind. However our cats are not crazy about the two little ones because they do like the chase. They never hurt the cats though.
An idea for you to think about is maybe go through a rescue group or an animal shelter. They can help you find the best match for your cats.
However, whatever way you go it will be a huge adjustment for all of you. Dogs are a tremendous amount of work.
I agree!!! A shelter or rescue would be a big help. And most take the dog back if you can't keep them, which is a huge plus.
A few of our dogs have chased the cats, something we discourage very much. But I've noticed before that the dogs will chase in play, and if they gain speed enough to catch up they purposefully slow their pace to keep the chase game going. Dogs LOVE chasing/being chased (by) other dogs...it's fun, it's a game, and I really think dogs that are chasing for fun don't quite understand that cats don't always see this as a game. Species barriers suck sometimes =)
I have seen dogs chase for more than the chase part. The chase is fun, but catching is too, and will gain distance alarmingly fast and rush immediately. Those dogs, sad to say, are not welcome here. Aside from one, who decided later in life that chasing cats for more than fun was a good way to pass the time, these dogs are re homed or returned. Since I'm older now, I won't play that crate and rotate game with house dogs due to the risk of someone being killed if they cross paths. If they argue a bit and bicker, fine, but if you're out to kill another member of this house, and if you can't get along and are out for blood, you're out of here.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Our two little dogs , 11 lbs and 14 lbs , will chase the cats but that's it. Our two cats , 15 lbs and 17 lbs take care of it. The smaller female cat actually likes it I think, she'll taunt them till they chase her then she'll jump the gate that leads to the cat room. The big male cat will just turn around and whack'em.

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three cats love chasing each other
They do it most of the time
Usually start when one of them chase his tail to get attention and the other would follow him and so on x)
Could dogs tho chase cats without hurting them?
As if they are playing not chasing a prey

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually start when one of them chase his tail to get attention and the other would follow him and so on x)
Yes that is entirely possible. If your cats have never seen a dog it could be a little more challenging to find the right match. It would mostly depend on the temperament of the dog. If this is your first dog I would definitely avoid hunting breeds/high prey drive. In my opinion your best option would be to go through a dog rescue group/ animal shelter. They can help you find the best match for your cats.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes My dog plays with Luna all the time. Especially when Luna was a kitten she would grab onto his tail and he would run around and drag her on the ground while she held onto his tail. She did the same with his ears. They would wrestle together. He would flip her over and she would grab her arms around his neck and bite his head and he would chase and and she would chase him. They had all kinds of fun. Now Luna is older and doesnt play like that with Bosco as much but she does sometimes. She chases Artemis more now.

But yea Bosco would chase them to play and they seemed to like it. But not all cats would enjoy playing with a dog.

peabarnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have always owned dogs and cats together, but these days my work schedule won't allow for a pet. An older dog of a large breed may work out in your case. they are usually not that active, and can do well in a small home or apartment. A friendly breed like a retriever or a Saint Bernard would be gentle enough, but training is important. A mixed breed would probably be pretty healthy and have fewer genetic health problems. The first thing you MUST do is bring the dog to your home while the cats are kept somewhere else, like at a relative's in carriers, just for an hour or so, or in a locked room in your home. Do not introduce them on the dog's first visit. The dog should be allowed to walk through your home and pick up the cats' scents. This will tell the dog that the home (territory) belongs to the cats and he/she is their guest. Most dogs will respect this fact and will accept the cats as the rightful residents of that territory. Let the dog stay in the home for 15 to 30 minutes, getting used to the scents. The dog will learn this is his home too, but will always respect the cats' right to be there.
The most important thing with any dog is training. I had a dog once that people thought would be viscious because she would snap when a puppy. I taught her to be calm. She became one of the best and gentlest dogs my family ever had. Dogs are very smart, and will learn many commands and instructions if they are trained with patience and kindness. She lived for many years with our cat Pepper and never once snapped at him or acted unfriendly toward him. They became the best of friends. She was a big mixed Lab.
So if you are willing to do all of this and always be diligent about training your dog, I am sure you will have success. But you must put in the time and effort with your dog. Good luck.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bichons can be SUCH fun, they're so outgoing, and so happy and love to play, and are generally very long lived! They can be difficult to house break but if you give an 8 week old puppy free reign of your house, it doesn't matter if it's a Chihuahua or an Irish Wolfhound--they're going to pee in the house, because they are puppies and they don't know what they're supposed to do yet. They're going to find a "sneaky", out of the way place to do it that isn't really sneaky at all, they do this so their "den" (your house) stays as clean as possible.
If a large breed pup pees or poops on your floor, you're going to know it.
If a puppy that weighs 5 pounds or less does, odds are you'll see the poop but the pee will be hard to detect, especially if they go on a rug or something, so they never really learn. If you discover the mess after the fact, they won't learn to go outside if you scold them. But they MIGHT learn that pee and poop in all forms REALLY pisses you off, so they'll hold it when you take them outside, only to come inside, nip off to another room real quick so you don't get mad when they do when nature calls..JME.
Crates, an ex pen and keeping them leashed to you while inside for the first few weeks can be exhausting but the result is a very well house trained dog!

The allergy thing is problematic, but truthfully you're going to find health problems in any breed and allergies isn't at the top of my list for health problems that strike the fear of God into my heart when you consider breeds prone to cancer (Boxers, Goldens, German Shepherds, etc.), heart problems (many), thyroid problems (even more breeds), hip problems that can be crippling (virtually ALL large breeds, and small breeds have more issues with knee caps...and medium dogs kind of get a crap deal and sometimes have both.)
But humans get cancer, get heart disease, have eye problems, skeletal problems, arthritis, osteo, kidney disease, liver failure, hysterical blindness after a bad perm (yeah, bad joke but I heard it a few days ago and thought it was funny), but it doesn't stop the human species from reproducing.
I think if you just decide on a breed, or a type of dog you like and research the crap out of their health problems and the best treatment for them, you'll be armed with info and will do great.
If you go the breeder route, don't patronize one that doesn't at least TRY to minimize these problems. Ask what they're breeding for, specifically. Are they trying to improve coat, or improve temperament, or are they aiming to weed out a health issue or or or....if you get a generic answer, or hear "all of the above" with no explanation as to how this is done/going to be accomplished, move along to the next guy. If you're paying 4 digits for a puppy, IMO the breeder needs to earn it.

The grooming thing, yeah, they're high maintenance, but honestly a lot of Bichon owners we know keep their dogs clippered short to cut down on maintenance and lengthen times between groomings.
If you're really ambitious and you find a really good breeder, the breeder would more than likely be THRILLED to show you any kind of in between grooming you can do (nails, paws, keeping around their eyes clean, as well as the proper brushing techniques. They will probably have their favorite brand of grooming stuff and can recommend some specific brushes, combs, etc., that are high quality.)

Whatever you decide, I hope you find the puppy or dog that fits into your house with ease and brings you all years of happiness =)

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've gotten very lucky with our dogs (2 of them) when I introduced the new cats into the house. While they are not the best buds, they are friendly to each other.

We taught Frankie that Noka is his baby and he had to watch after her so when he was told to baby sit her, he took it literally.

but he doesn't mind her cuddling with him either.

Now Rebel was the troublemaker as he would chase Shade all through the house and get Frankie stirred up in the chase also but I was able to teach the dogs to ignore Shade by the use of treats (broken up dog biscuits) when they ignored the cat. Positive reinforcement works or worked for me. Now Rebel is chill with both cats and occasionally plays with them.

Picture below is after they were playing with the dog toys.

Frankie is a 16lb Min Pin.
Rebel is a 78lb mixbreed. We think he is a German beagle retriever mix.
Shade is almost 20lb mix that we think is a Maine Coon/ Black Turkish Angora mix.
Noka came from some yard cat - breed unknown. She is probably about 12lbs or so.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also think about rescues when you do go looking for a dog. Every furbaby I have or had came from rescue shelters and for the most part they have been the most even tempered and laidback attitude pets I have seen. I also would recommend looking at mixbreeds if you go that route due to them usually having less health and mental issues than purebreeds.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've a BC mix here that is the cat lover of all time.
When we had a sick cat that was crated (for her safety and to keep other cats from bothering her/leaping on her in play), they kept nudging the door until we opened it, and they went inside and curled up against this cat and didn't want to come out. They were an excellent nurse and great comfort to this cat--their friend--when she was not feeling well.
If the cats get into a spat, this dog was always there to break it up and tried to get rid of any lingering tension by standing between them. If that failed, they'd grab up a toy and start squeaking it in the aggressors face like "want to fight? Don't fight. Fighting isn't nice. Play instead. Take this squeaky thing that resembles a burrito crossed with a hammer, after a hard night of drinking."
It's really very sweet. They worried over the cats and fussed over them and many times accompanied us to on vet visits for cats that were scared, fractious, etc. only for moral support because our cats loved this dog.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also think about rescues when you do go looking for a dog. Every furbaby I have or had came from rescue shelters and for the most part they have been the most even tempered and laidback attitude pets I have seen. I also would recommend looking at mixbreeds if you go that route due to them usually having less health and mental issues than purebreeds.
I'm a huge plug for responsible breeders that do their due diligence, but the best dog I have had in a long time was a throw-away that landed in a rescue.
Just do NOT go to a place like Petland, or any pet store, and IMO stay away from Craigslist and other sites like it. Ignore puppy find, Greenfield puppies, next day pets and places that have LOTS of puppies of all breeds, or a "kind" of breed and can "ship" you a sickly $2,000 puppy (or more) in 24 hours. These are crappy places to get pups, or kittens, period.
I don't care if their "kennel" is clean if you visit in person. Mills are mills and mass producing puppies (or, kittens) and having 2 dozen litters on the ground means whatever idiot breeding these puppies wants money, and wants it fast, and does jack s*** to ensure the babies have a good start to a life living with a foreign species (aka humans.)

Edit:
Mixes are wonderful pets. I can attest to that.
Go to a shelter or a pound or a rescue for these guys.
Going to a breeder of mixes, unless they have a darned good reason for mixing these dogs, is not something I recommend personally.
Training friends of ours jumped on the "purebred Goldendoodle" bandwagon and got two pups. These dogs are not babies anymore and are sweet dogs, but both have serious hip problems. One has a heart condition that makes him pant like he's ran a marathon after he's been up and moving for 2-3 minutes. The other has a very rare blood disorder and has cost the owners thousands in vet bills for diagnostics, rechecks, treatments and medications.

Not cool at $1500 per pup. =/
Mutts are awesome dogs (we have several), but IMO nature knows best and purposefully breeding mixes with cutesy "oodle" fake breed names for a high price tag does more harm than good. JMO.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to preface my comments with the fact that I work at a dog boarding place and see all kinds of dogs on a regular basis. In most cases, I would suggest small dogs only if you are going to be home a lot. If you're gone 8 or 9 hours each day and you can't take them with, most small breed dogs will not take it well.

I would never recommend a GSD for any new owner as these dogs will walk all over you. Most new dog owners just don't have the confidence to handle one of these dogs and adding cats to the equation would become a disaster quickly.

I would also not recommend a puppy to anyone who hasn't had a dog before. They are incredibly challenging no matter the breed and exhausting. I have a Cardigan Corgi puppy right now and he takes up most of my time right now.

I personally would suggest a dog that was at least 3 or 4. Either a calm mixed breed or some type of Lab or Golden retriever. These are perfect dogs for someone who hasn't had one before and tend to be incredibly calm, forgiving, and easy to train. We had one that helped us raise two foster kittens, keeping them warm and clean. If you adopt one, look for one with a lot of good temperament testing. Right now there are a lot of really crappy Lab/Retriever breeders out there pumping out Labs and goldens that are long legged, hyper, and just a hint neurotic. Not what you're looking for.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a puppy is still doable for a first time dog owner. Puppies are more forgiving of mistakes and yes they are a lot of work, but adopting an older dog is just as much work. Sometimes they already have certain habits established and they have already grown into their personalities. You can't really raise them to be the way you want them to be. They are pretty much going to be how they are. Some of them need to be re-housebroken. It can still be a lot of work.

When i would introduce them, i would put the dog into his crate, leave the room and let the cats go up to the dog on their own and observe him. Then you can safely see how both will react to each other.
20180206_205403.jpg 20171214_223251.jpg 20170315_173656.jpg

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that is entirely possible. If your cats have never seen a dog it could be a little more challenging to find the right match. It would mostly depend on the temperament of the dog. If this is your first dog I would definitely avoid hunting breeds/high prey drive. In my opinion your best option would be to go through a dog rescue group/ animal shelter. They can help you find the best match for your cats.
Yes that’s the best option so far
Bichons can be SUCH fun, they're so outgoing, and so happy and love to play, and are generally very long lived! They can be difficult to house break but if you give an 8 week old puppy free reign of your house, it doesn't matter if it's a Chihuahua or an Irish Wolfhound--they're going to pee in the house, because they are puppies and they don't know what they're supposed to do yet. They're going to find a "sneaky", out of the way place to do it that isn't really sneaky at all, they do this so their "den" (your house) stays as clean as possible.
If a large breed pup pees or poops on your floor, you're going to know it.
If a puppy that weighs 5 pounds or less does, odds are you'll see the poop but the pee will be hard to detect, especially if they go on a rug or something, so they never really learn. If you discover the mess after the fact, they won't learn to go outside if you scold them. But they MIGHT learn that pee and poop in all forms REALLY pisses you off, so they'll hold it when you take them outside, only to come inside, nip off to another room real quick so you don't get mad when they do when nature calls..JME.
Crates, an ex pen and keeping them leashed to you while inside for the first few weeks can be exhausting but the result is a very well house trained dog!

The allergy thing is problematic, but truthfully you're going to find health problems in any breed and allergies isn't at the top of my list for health problems that strike the fear of God into my heart when you consider breeds prone to cancer (Boxers, Goldens, German Shepherds, etc.), heart problems (many), thyroid problems (even more breeds), hip problems that can be crippling (virtually ALL large breeds, and small breeds have more issues with knee caps...and medium dogs kind of get a crap deal and sometimes have both.)
But humans get cancer, get heart disease, have eye problems, skeletal problems, arthritis, osteo, kidney disease, liver failure, hysterical blindness after a bad perm (yeah, bad joke but I heard it a few days ago and thought it was funny), but it doesn't stop the human species from reproducing.
I think if you just decide on a breed, or a type of dog you like and research the crap out of their health problems and the best treatment for them, you'll be armed with info and will do great.
If you go the breeder route, don't patronize one that doesn't at least TRY to minimize these problems. Ask what they're breeding for, specifically. Are they trying to improve coat, or improve temperament, or are they aiming to weed out a health issue or or or....if you get a generic answer, or hear "all of the above" with no explanation as to how this is done/going to be accomplished, move along to the next guy. If you're paying 4 digits for a puppy, IMO the breeder needs to earn it.

The grooming thing, yeah, they're high maintenance, but honestly a lot of Bichon owners we know keep their dogs clippered short to cut down on maintenance and lengthen times between groomings.
If you're really ambitious and you find a really good breeder, the breeder would more than likely be THRILLED to show you any kind of in between grooming you can do (nails, paws, keeping around their eyes clean, as well as the proper brushing techniques. They will probably have their favorite brand of grooming stuff and can recommend some specific brushes, combs, etc., that are high quality.)

Whatever you decide, I hope you find the puppy or dog that fits into your house with ease and brings you all years of happiness =)
thank you that’s so helpful :)
I know it’s so hard to find a perfect dog I’m going to take my time on research,breeders.. etc
I hope it’s gonna be worth it :D

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So many cute doggies and kitties pictures so adorable