I Have Cats And I Want To Get A Dog!

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i don’t know if this is the right thread
I have 3 male cats they’ve never seen dogs before and I want a dog (not soon)
The most important thing I want in them is to get along with my cats I know that many will suggest getting a puppy
But I’d like to know if it’s a big dog will he be safe and gentle around my cats when he grows up?
I’ve always wanted a german shepherd but I know they have high prey drive
And I also feed some stray cats in my neighborhood that I don’t want my dog to chase while I take him for a walk.
In my old neighborhood there were 4 stray dogs they were gsd mixed were very friendly and sweet and every time they see me they wag their tails and hang out around my house my brother used to feed them sometimes but they all hate cats except for one that was ok with them but when he’s with his pack he attacks them they even killed my neighbors kitten and they always chase cats around. So I wouldn’t feel safe with a big dog around my cats especially is that they are not friendly 2 are skittish and one is good around people but didn’t try other cats or dogs they are litter mates

So any suggestion?
I know that breeder and training matter
But does the size matter I know my cats might annoy the dog/puppy

I really like large dogs but I think small dogs would be easier to handle
Ps I’ve never owned dogs before
So I don’t have enough experience
Sorry made this too long haha :3
So if you have experience with dogs or owned both dogs and cats can you please
Give me some advices?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, a Cavalier King Charles (Honey) and a German Shepherd/Akita cross (Chase). Chase is huge as you can see and we're lucky that he's a soft lump and scared of Oliver otherwise it would be unmanageable. So, his temperament is ok but the problem is he's so big that when he tries to play with the cats he appears intimidating to them because he bounds about crashing into things and is just too lively when he gets going. Cats and dogs are on different wavelengths so play can be interpreted very differently between them. A play pursuit for a dog can be scary to a cat but if the dog is small it's not as bad. It's simply a matter of size with Chase.
Honey is small and quite timid so the cats just ignore her for the most part. Cavaliers are usually very friendly and unaggressive so as a breed they are perfect for a mixed household. Honey never bothers the cats and is just a gentle soul.
I've had a few Cavaliers and they've all been cat friendly so Honey's not just a one off.
My opinion is that a small dog breed with a proven mild temperament is better for cats simply due to size. Chase is still a young dog so he's bound to be lively at the moment and I'm sure he'll calm down in due course.
This is just my experience and there will be countless testimonies saying that big dogs and cats get on very well with no problems.

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, a Cavalier King Charles (Honey) and a German Shepherd/Akita cross (Chase). Chase is huge as you can see and we're lucky that he's a soft lump and scared of Oliver otherwise it would be unmanageable. So, his temperament is ok but the problem is he's so big that when he tries to play with the cats he appears intimidating to them because he bounds about crashing into things and is just too lively when he gets going. Cats and dogs are on different wavelengths so play can be interpreted very differently between them. A play pursuit for a dog can be scary to a cat but if the dog is small it's not as bad. It's simply a matter of size with Chase.
Honey is small and quite timid so the cats just ignore her for the most part. Cavaliers are usually very friendly and unaggressive so as a breed they are perfect for a mixed household. Honey never bothers the cats and is just a gentle soul.
I've had a few Cavaliers and they've all been cat friendly so Honey's not just a one off.
My opinion is that a small dog breed with a proven mild temperament is better for cats simply due to size. Chase is still a young dog so he's bound to be lively at the moment and I'm sure he'll calm down in due course.
This is just my experience and there will be countless testimonies saying that big dogs and cats get on very well with no problems.

View attachment 242620

View attachment 242622
That’s so adorable ❤
I love cavaliers but there’s no way I can find a reputable breeder here :/
Do you thunk any small dog would be a good choice? Like bichons, malteses, poodle..

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you thunk any small dog would be a good choice? Like bichons, malteses, poodle..
I've no experience with other breeds so some research using the links from rubysmama rubysmama and your own investigations should narrow it down. I think the less naturally yappy types would be best. You'll get there I'm sure. don't forget to keep us posted.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Small dog/ large dog makes no difference. Breed and the genetics matters most. You could get a small jack Russell terrier and no doubt it would kill your cats in a heartbeat. You could get a large Malinois, and it would probably do the same. You don't want a dog with high prey drive, that are high strung, working breeds. And those can be large or small.

As far as GSD go, that could be a hit or a miss. You really have to pick your breeder carefully. Research what temperaments they are breeding for, research what health testing they do, meet the parents- are they calm? Are they hyper? GSD breeders will breed dogs for different purposes, so the dogs temperaments will vary depending on the breeder.

If you like large dogs, labs, golden retrievers, bulldogs, basset hounds, sometimes collies. Any low-key dog. Smaller breeds would be pugs, cavaliers (which I have and they are AMAZING), papillon, possibly maybe a Pomeranian if you get a good one at an excellent breeder.

I would stay away from poodles or poodle mixes, chihuahua or mixes, ANY terrier...very bad idea, min pins, and other little fluffy ankle biters. Also probably not beagles, Dobermans, cattle dogs, yorkies, huskies, basically any dog with high prey drive.

Grant it, there are always exceptions. I know there are plenty of huskies and beagles etc that get along with cats. I had a beagle that got along fine with my cats. But generally I would avoind dogs with high prey drive and go for a low key kind of dog from a responsible breeder.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
To find a responsible breeder you could start by going to the AKC website and look under Puppies, that would be a starting place. You might also consider adopting a dog from a shelter- one that has already been tested with cats, though I know you said you wanted a puppy.

Here is my dog with my cats. He's a cavalier. Important for these dogs to get from a breeder that does all the health testing. But I would say they are the best.
20171125_215631.jpg 20180621_174128(0).jpg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small dog/ large dog makes no difference.
I agree with that. My point wasn't really about temperament as big Chase is totally non aggressive. I just meant the sheer size with playful boisterousness, however lovable they are, is a factor in my experience.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with that. My point wasn't really about temperament as big Chase is totally non aggressive. I just meant the sheer size with playful boisterousness, however lovable they are, is a factor in my experience.
Yes, I agree with what you said also. My comment was referring specifically to temperament/ prey drive.

But I 60 lbs 1 year old dog running around jumping can be a bit more intimidating than a 10 lb pug that would probably just sleep on your couch anyway.

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Small dog/ large dog makes no difference. Breed and the genetics matters most. You could get a small jack Russell terrier and no doubt it would kill your cats in a heartbeat. You could get a large Malinois, and it would probably do the same. You don't want a dog with high prey drive, that are high strung, working breeds. And those can be large or small.

As far as GSD go, that could be a hit or a miss. You really have to pick your breeder carefully. Research what temperaments they are breeding for, research what health testing they do, meet the parents- are they calm? Are they hyper? GSD breeders will breed dogs for different purposes, so the dogs temperaments will vary depending on the breeder.

If you like large dogs, labs, golden retrievers, bulldogs, basset hounds, sometimes collies. Any low-key dog. Smaller breeds would be pugs, cavaliers (which I have and they are AMAZING), papillon, possibly maybe a Pomeranian if you get a good one at an excellent breeder.

I would stay away from poodles or poodle mixes, chihuahua or mixes, ANY terrier...very bad idea, min pins, and other little fluffy ankle biters. Also probably not beagles, Dobermans, cattle dogs, yorkies, huskies, basically any dog with high prey drive.

Grant it, there are always exceptions. I know there are plenty of huskies and beagles etc that get along with cats. I had a beagle that got along fine with my cats. But generally I would avoind dogs with high prey drive and go for a low key kind of dog from a responsible breeder.
Thanks those are really good information!
I agree it’s not about the size
But I mean a big dog playing with Cat wouldn’t be like a smaller one they could do some damage even if it’s out of exciting or playfullness due to their size
Is that right? I’ve never owned one before so I don’t know what it’s like but it’s just what I heard, and I know terriers are just as bad as some large dogs
But I feel like small dogs (not terriers or chihuahuas) might be easier to handle for a novice owner like picking him up if needed, low energy...etc
I know not all toy breeds are low energy tho
On the other hand it’s hard to find a large dog that’s good with cats
Goldens and labs are good but pretty hard to find a responsible breeder since they have so many genetic health issues
Same for cavaliers
I’ve always wanted a cavalier even before I got my cats but it’s really hard to find a healthy one ...

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh Yes so sorry about your loss. You still have your Honey right? I'd love to see some more pictures of her. You should pm me some. I just love to see other cavies.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs and cats live together all the time and most of the time people just get dogs without any prior research and have to deal with the consequences. So I think it's great that you're putting this thought and consideration into what kind of dog would suit your home the best.

It's pretty much up to you. I would do more reading on maybe the AKC website or dogbreedinfo.com to learn more about specific breeds and which one may suit your lifestyle the best. And take into consideration your area and what would be available and how far are your willing to travel if you are set on a purebred puppy from a breeder.

Also just a personal opinion- I don't think it's a good idea to pick small dogs up when they misbehave. That just teaches them that they get your attention. It's better to use a verbal command or redirect their behavior to something positive. Unless the dog or cat is in immediate danger, then do whatever you have to. But generally it's better to train them to listen to you than to physically put them where you want them. And if that's the case, usually large dogs are easier to train. Keep in mind labs are slow to mature, but generally large dogs tend to be easier to housebreak, and more eager to learn. Not always the case. Depends on the breed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puppies are boisterous, no matter what breed, and first-time owners usually muff up the training pretty badly at first ;). I know I did.

For a first-time dog owner, I'd recommend getting an older dog, from a breeder or a very good foster-home-based rescue, who is already trained and used to being around cats. I think that would have the highest chance of success.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You still have your Honey right? I'd love to see some more pictures of her. You should pm me some. I just love to see other cavies.
Yes, Honey's fine and there's also my daughter's Charlie. I'll take some decent ones and PM you in the next day or so.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All three of my dogs are big dogs, I have a rough collie, a lab/german shepherd mix, and a rottie/akita/german shepherd mix, in addition to my ten cats. It really comes down to temperament and how they are raised, as well as what the breed is for. All of them were raise with cats since they were puppies. The only one I had an issue with is the rottie mix, he was very hyper most of his life, he's getting old now and slowing down. He was never bad with the cats, just too high energy, it scared them.

The collie and the lab mix I picked due to their mellow personalities. The rottie mix was really a rescue, and although I love him, he is not what I would have chosen.
Here are some pics (I've got tons more pics) to show you big dogs can live peacefully with cats. :grouphug:
20170123_233422.jpg
Blaze (collie), Nessie (cat), and Loki (lab/shepherd mix)
20170213_143212.jpg
Blaze and Tux, his cat.
20180416_201313.jpg
Blaze, Tux, and Tiger (and Loki's rear)
Bear and CJ.jpg
Bear (rottie mix) and CJ (cat)

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All three of my dogs are big dogs, I have a rough collie, a lab/german shepherd mix, and a rottie/akita/german shepherd mix, in addition to my ten cats. It really comes down to temperament and how they are raised, as well as what the breed is for. All of them were raise with cats since they were puppies. The only one I had an issue with is the rottie mix, he was very hyper most of his life, he's getting old now and slowing down. He was never bad with the cats, just too high energy, it scared them.

The collie and the lab mix I picked due to their mellow personalities. The rottie mix was really a rescue, and although I love him, he is not what I would have chosen.
Here are some pics (I've got tons more pics) to show you big dogs can live peacefully with cats. :grouphug:
View attachment 242755
Blaze (collie), Nessie (cat), and Loki (lab/shepherd mix)
View attachment 242756
Blaze and Tux, his cat.
View attachment 242757
Blaze, Tux, and Tiger (and Loki's rear)
View attachment 242761
Bear (rottie mix) and CJ (cat)
Awww sooo cute
They look so adorable together :)
I bet your cats are friendly mine are just not used to other pets

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww sooo cute
They look so adorable together :)
I bet your cats are friendly mine are just not used to other pets
Well it depends on which cat, lol. One of them, oddly enough my Maine Coon named Coon (short for Raccoon), actually does not like dogs and attacks the dogs if they get too close. One of his daughters, Rascal, also doesn't care for dogs, but she just avoids and ignores them, and will give the odd swat if they invade her personal space. My collie has a damaged eye due to Coon's attacks, and my lab mix got his fair share of bloody noses from him as a pup. However, with both dogs they didn't have a aggressive reaction, both are fairly submissive dogs. The collie, even after being attacked will just walks away, no retaliation. They have both learned to give Coon a wide berth when they know where he is. So I guess what I am saying is you want to find a more submissive dog, one that is going to understand that the cats are the boss.

The dogs also need to be taught to lay down, sit, or otherwise be calm if they want the cats to be friendly with them. For some dogs, especially if you get a puppy, that means that you need to make sure the dog is mentally and physically tired so it doesn't see the cat as something to play with. With my dogs, as pups they were taught to "leave it" when it came to the cats, and they were not allowed unsupervised until I knew they were ok. It actually took my rottie mix a few years for it to finally click that if he wanted the cats to come over to him he had to be calm. He is an outside dog, so he only interacts with them when they are outside or if he comes in to be crated on cold nights. Once he figured it out though it was like, "ooh, this is how you get the cats to come to you", lol. I think it's a bit of a language/species barrier thing, the dogs need to learn, just like humans do, to let the cats come to them not go bounding towards them.

Oh and another thing, if you get a dog, make sure the cats have plenty of escape routes and high up places that the dog can't reach. It allows the cats to observe the dog without having to interact. My cats have their own room that the dogs can't go, along with cat trees, and other high places, like the area between the ceiling and kitchen cabinets.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don’t know if this is the right thread
I have 3 male cats they’ve never seen dogs before and I want a dog (not soon)
The most important thing I want in them is to get along with my cats I know that many will suggest getting a puppy
But I’d like to know if it’s a big dog will he be safe and gentle around my cats when he grows up?
I’ve always wanted a german shepherd but I know they have high prey drive
And I also feed some stray cats in my neighborhood that I don’t want my dog to chase while I take him for a walk.
In my old neighborhood there were 4 stray dogs they were gsd mixed were very friendly and sweet and every time they see me they wag their tails and hang out around my house my brother used to feed them sometimes but they all hate cats except for one that was ok with them but when he’s with his pack he attacks them they even killed my neighbors kitten and they always chase cats around. So I wouldn’t feel safe with a big dog around my cats especially is that they are not friendly 2 are skittish and one is good around people but didn’t try other cats or dogs they are litter mates

So any suggestion?
I know that breeder and training matter
But does the size matter I know my cats might annoy the dog/puppy

I really like large dogs but I think small dogs would be easier to handle
Ps I’ve never owned dogs before
So I don’t have enough experience
Sorry made this too long haha :3
So if you have experience with dogs or owned both dogs and cats can you please
Give me some advices?
If you've never owned any dog before, and you have 3 cats (2 of which are skittish which will probably cause them to run if chased), I would not recommend a German Shepherd.
I'd go with what others have suggested--a small, quiet, low key dog with low prey drive. A dog with high prey drive is a more difficult dog to own. First time dog owners can, and often dog, get these dogs as first dogs and do very well but it takes a serious load of time, training, and the commitment to keeping your cats safe involves strict management that can't be "skipped".
Huskies in cats generally don't mix well, and herding breeds that still have herding blood in them will generally annoy/stare at/nip at cats and if a cat runs, they may or may not bite. Very few people use German Shepherds for herding anymore, it's mostly show stuff or bite work.
They can certainly get a long with cats. But if you've never owned a dog, this is a smart, high energy dog that will probably drive you nuts for a year or two and this breed doesn't always respond to petsmart style "never say no to your dog" training. JMO/JME =)
(Side note: You mentioned Cavaliers as having a lot of health problems...which they do. But German Shepherds aren't exactly the healthiest breed out there, either, sad..)

I'd consider looking at a Cavalier (they are not an inexpensive purchase), research breeders (they do have a lot of health problems if not properly bred) and are the SWEETEST creature on earth.
Another option is to ask people you know about their dogs (if you know any people that have dogs) and what they're like, and where they came from.
Ask your cats vet for their opinion. Reach out to dog trainers and ask for their opinion or advice.
There are a lot of rescue programs out there that make usage of foster homes. Those foster homes will tell you a great deal about the dogs personality, temperament, and most have homes with cats and will be glad to tell you if they ignore cats or chase them. This is a far cry for how a dog will behave in a shelter (a nice, normal dog going out of control "crate crazy" and deemed aggressive because the dog is going insane from confinement/noise/stress) vs. shut down and "docile" because the dog is terrified, and once in a home turns into a tornado =)