I have an update

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took a few attempts to find the right size container for my ginormus cat. I ended up using a 30 gallon bin. Looks like the right size with her in it, plus it has really high walls, so cool.

The one time she has used this huge box she seemed much less inclined to dump all her litter out over the side. Which has me convinced she was doing it on purpose. She loves to play in litter--I filled this huge thing with a whole container of Lucy Pet litter, and added the litter from the smaller box on top (yes, I sifted it forst, obviously). As I was pouring the bew litter she jumped in under it, and I ended up pouring litter all over her! I tried picking her up and she was leaning over like she wanted to roll in it but I'm like hell no. I had to dust off her fur for a while and kicked her out of the bathroom until I finished. So yes, she has most likely been playing with and in her litter, and yes, intentionally making messes with it. This was her only use so far, so this might just be fluke. It's a new box that she hasn't seen before, so I'm not confident she'll stop incessantly digging.

Anyway, when I let her back in to inspect it the very first thing she did was dig a hole and poop in it. She was a bit puzzled with her digging and stopped after it was covered, then looked around a bit and started digging again. So the bigger box hasn't changed her behavior for the long term. I need to put a hole in the lid and all that, but in general it looks okay.

This box has only been out for a day. I had a couple others I was looking at that were either too big or too small. So I don't really know what will happen long term. It's contained at least. Now I have to figure out how to actually make her less obsessive with her litter. The noise is annoying during the day and after 10-15 minutes it gets on my nerves when I'm trying to sleep. Keeping the mess under control helps, But I need to see how she modifies her potty ritual. So I'll have another update eventually. I hope I covered everything important that was mentioned in the other post.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous!!
Thanks. She hates cameras, so good pictures are hard to get from her. But you get an idea of size and space knowing it's a 30 gallon container. That's all I was going for. If I ever get a better one I promise I'll let you know.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two ideas to keep the noise down:
1. More litter- I noticed that my diggers make more noise when they can reach the bottom of the box, that’s one of the reason why I have lots of litter in the box. But this may in turn cause the mess outside to return. You may also try some heavier litters if the one you’re using now is lightweight.

2. You can place a fabric mat under the box, I currently use honeycomb mat made especially to catch stray litter mess, but any mat should do, I was using these cheap ikea bathroom mats and it also kept the scratching noise down. Basically any thick fabric between the tile floor and plastic should help.

If she’s doing that for fun and because she wants to play, maybe offer her some other play opportunities; my cats love to play with fresh packing paper that some companies put inside the packages for protection - that’s one of the ideas and maybe she’ll like the sound of it too (the paper must be fresh though otherwise it won’t be entertaining).
Best of luck!

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have another update with more observations.

I am now certian this cat was/is mostly playing in her litter. Just this evening she was digging to the bottom of the bin despite there being A LOT of litter in it. She kept going back and forth like always. When I noticed her jumping in and out as she went into and out of the bathroom, I walked in on her digging. So I figured I'd take a picture for illustration. She immediately jumped out and ran into the kitchen before I had a chance to say something. I took my picture and went into the hall and she slowly sneaked back into the bathroom to check on the litter I just took a picture of. I very literally caught her in the act of attempting to make a mess. I admit it's cute, but it also worries me. I play woth her and pet her and handle her and all that. Nothing is making a difference. Covering the noise will help, sure. So has the better containment. But it isn't actually solving the problem. I'm not sure if it's OCD or what anymore.

So yes, the issue if the mess is as resolved as it's going to get. So thanks for helping me there. But I still have a long way to go and I don't know how to modify litter behavior without making her stop using the litter.

I attached the litter with a huge pile in one spot for an idea how much she's digging. Basically the same as before. And the second one is the closest she gets to a decent picture. I'm going to wait a couple weeks to let he adjust to the new litter box. In the mean time I need an idea how to get her to relax.

And no, the towel isn't hanging as close to the box as it looks. The box is much longer on the back end than the picture shows. I have another towel on the inside of the bathroom behind the door, so don't get the wrong idea there. I almost did when I saw how it looks.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you have a chance and your schedule allows, would you be able to take her for walks? If it's ocd (or even if not), I'm trying to come up with something to give her a mental/emotional boost and change.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't like strangers touching my cat. I don't know if they have pets or if they can carry something not in her vaccinations. I really don't know about that. I'd have to ask her vet first because of her ear surgery. I'll keep it in mind if I find a big back yard or something she can run around in.

I would need to make it a routine kind of thing that she can predict, but I don't know how to do that. It's just hard to live with.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
What an absolute dear of a cat. She certainly is ginormous! That type of spotted tabby isn't a Bengal any more than my Willow is a Russian Blue, but people are going to describe her that way because of her colouring. She has such a sweet face.

Anyway, my Wallaby used to dig and dig when I was in college, under a lot of stress, and living in a single room; I understand and have no right to judge you. She and I got through it and so will you two.

Strangers don't touch my Willow or interact with her the way they do my dogs. She likes to walk in natural settings and my rescue dog has issues with joggers and bicycles, so I have to drive them to the forest and make a day of it twice a week. I can pick Willow up when I hear footsteps to make sure she stays safe and doesn't get upset.

They usually just say, "Oh wow! A cat! That is so cool!" if they even notice her.

Walking a cat isn't like walking a dog. Willow can trot along at a merry clip for a good two miles before she tires herself out and falls asleep on my shoulder, but she decides when and where those two miles are.

She does the back yard too, but that's just sniffing around and exploring. I try to give her fifteen minutes on the days we don't hike, but she's usually done before that. Since we live in the city, I have to take my dogs for walks around the neighbourhood on those days and she accompanies us in a bubble backpack for the intellectual stimulation, even though it's useless as exercise.

If walking isn't going to be doable for you, there are some great ideas for "catification" of small living spaces on the site that don't have to be expensive or permanent. Willow has a cute little rainbow coloured kitty tunnel that is almost as much fun as empty boxes and paper bags, lol.

Thanks for updating us. I hope this helps.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, walking a cat creates more issues than benefits (constant meowing begging to be let out, need to walk in the rain& snow to keep regular schedule, need for fleas medication and vaccinations as for an outdoor cat etc). Although there are cats that accept occasional walks only, the problem is that one never knows until it’s tried, and very often one ends up with the problem of having a cat that spends all the time crying by the door. So imo it’s pretty risky.

Have you tried any natural calming methods that Furballsmom Furballsmom sent you previously? I personally had great results from calming collars, but these can be dangerous as they are not breakable, so they’d need to be worn under supervision only or fixed on breakable collars. But if her behavior is indeed the result of stress or boredom, hopefully some of the natural method would work?
When you play with her, do you do this till she’s almost too exhausted to continue? I’d try that one day to see if it shortens her ritual. Do you have a DaBird wand toy or similar? Most cats go crazy for it!

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying music but I haven't found one that works all the time. I also don't want to play the same thing over and over because she'll get tired of it and bored and stuff. But she does respond to the Backstreet Boys of all things. I like the DNA album a lot and she seems to, too. So that's something at least.

She still plays in the litter and digs when nothing is happening. She still doesn't need to go when she gets in half the time. And she'll keep digging until I remove her. All the bigger container did was contain it. Whatever was going on is still happening.

Now it seems she just likes making messes for no reason. She can't kick her litter all over the place so she changed her approach and went after her water dish. I've been reading that sometimes they can't see the water level and a heavy porcelain dish is best. Well I got one and I've spent the last week waking up to puddles in the carpet where she decided to dump it out. For that to happen she has to press her paw on the side of the water. When they can't see the water level they tap the surface to create waves. She isn't even trying to drink it. I got a fountain when she was a kitten but she just fought with it and knocked it over. So I don't think drinking water is an issue. She just like being destructive.

So what's the deal? Is my cat angry at me for some reason? I really don't understand why she would go so far out of her way to be such a mess all the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But she does respond to the Backstreet Boys of all things. I like the DNA album a lot and she seems to, too. So that's something at least.
I LIKE this cat!!

Is my cat angry at me for some reason?
No.
She might be bored, but the thing with the water is that a lot of cats do this. Can you get a tray with slightly raised edges, like a school lunch tray and put the bowl on that to help contain the sloshed water? I have to put a folded over washcloth under my boy's waterdish.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my experience, walking a cat creates more issues than benefits
Whevener we go to the bet I get people running up to the carrier like, "OH what a cute cat!" While throwing their fingers inside. What if she bit them? She isn't agressive, but they don't know that. I'm also worried that they have pets that are either not vaccinated or live outdoors and carry things on them. So just in general I really don't trust strangers around my cat.

When you play with her, do you do this till she’s almost too exhausted to continue? I’d try that one day to see if it shortens her ritual. Do you have a DaBird wand toy or similar? Most cats go crazy for it!
I try to play with her until she stops playing with me. I can't exhaust her because she loses interest before that happens. But we do play, yes. She has a ball with a bell inside and she'll chase it around if I throw it.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today she's been in a bad mood for some reason. She isn't growling but she guves me these long meows and her eyes dilate like she's upset about something. She'll jump in my lap and start purring then bite me and swipe at my face out of nowhere. This isn't after petting her for a while. She'll switch gears sharply after a few minutes of petting. I checked her paws and tummy and she feels fine. She'll even rub against me to scent mark even though she's unhappy. I cleaned her ears today, so it can't be that. I just don't know what the deal is.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today she's been in a bad mood for some reason.
Are you where there's a weather change coming? That can make a cat grumpy.
I don't recall if you said, but if you're in an apartment she could be hearing something that's disturbing her, or if you live in a house, there could be other animals outside that she's detecting.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? It sounds like she may just be a really active cat that needs to expend a lot of energy and gets bored really easily. Have you tried anything like a puzzle feeder or treat ball? I actually keep a bowl of cat toys on my coffee table so I can throw them one my cats get crazy. I also rotate toys so they don't get bored.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okeedokey, I only have a moment, but I'd like to say I'm not going to offer water anymore because all she does is dump it out. She doesn't dri k it, so I'm just giving her wet food. I'll be back later. Just wanted to check in.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Okeedokey, I only have a moment, but I'd like to say I'm not going to offer water anymore because all she does is dump it out. She doesn't dri k it, so I'm just giving her wet food. I'll be back later. Just wanted to check in.
Wet food or not, she also has to have water or she will die. You can try a hanging water bottle to see if she will drink from that. But before you stop giving her water altogether you should consider rehoming her or finding a shelter to take her.