I have an update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? It sounds like she may just be a really active cat that needs to expend a lot of energy and gets bored really easily. Have you tried anything like a puzzle feeder or treat ball? I actually keep a bowl of cat toys on my coffee table so I can throw them one my cats get crazy. I also rotate toys so they don't get bored.
She is around 5 years old and she has ups and downs. Some days she's all over my lap demanding cuddles and others she's avoiding me like the plague for no good reason. I really think her new water issue is one of anger. She can't play around in her litter making the huge messes she used to, so she's playing in her water now. She just started this when I changed her litter box, so they have to be linked. Sometimes I'll catch her drinking water from the bathtub. I kick her out immediately because the water is extremely hard here and can hurt her kidneys. It might just be about attention, too. I always used to stop her when she was digging for more than a few minutes. Now I don't have to as often. I think she misses having my attention on command. So she's getting back at me by dumping her water twice a day. She isn't drinking it anymkre, and I'm putting filtered water in her dinner every night so she isn't dehydrated. She just doesn't need a water dish. Some indoor cats dont.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TView attachment 313568his ceramic bowl would be hard to knock over
Same with this one. Remember: this is a 16+ pound cat we're talking about. She knocked over a fountain when she was a kitten. That thing wouldn't last a few seconds with her.

20191221_152105.jpg

This is a 10 inch heavy ceramic dish. She plays a bit flinging water everywhere, then steps on the edge to dumo it. Putting the towel underneath hasn't made any kind of difference.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20191221_152720.jpg

I had the water dish on the counter for a while because I though she couldn't see the level of the water. Nope. She was just playing. I took a picture if the spots under the cabinet before I cleaned.

20191221_152645.jpg

And this is the carpet where the same thing is obviously happening. You can't see it but the towel is soaked, too.

She just doesn't drink water. There's not much more to it than that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I googled cat knocks water bowl over and showed many different bowls for water. Hopefully one helpss

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I googled cat knocks water bowl over and showed many different bowls for water. Hopefully one helpss
I doubt it makes a difference, honestly. Fountains are supposed to be the magical cure all for everything wrong with a cat, and we've been down that road. A new dish isn't going to stop her from flinging her water around everywhere. She just doesn't like water by itself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She possibly did like the attention she was receiving from the messy litter situation, but cats do not try to get back at people. They aren't wired that way.

What would be so bad about getting a heavy bowl and a plastic lunch tray to put underneath it to catch the slop over, and let her play? It provides her with some entertainment. My cat loves playing in his water bowl. :)

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What would be so bad about getting a heavy bowl and a plastic lunch tray to put underneath it to catch the slop over, and let her play? It provides her with some entertainment. My cat loves playing in his water bowl. :)
I don't have a place to put it. I live in a one bedroom bachelor pad. It's not the smallest ever, but it is pretty small. Her new litter box takes up half the bathroom! I'll post a pic. But yeah. Cleanup was the big issue with her litter, not it's the issue for her water. She really revels in making messes for me to clean. And she will sit right next to me and watch me clean. I dunno. She's neurotic.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I envisioned this I have to say it made me smile.

Do you talk to her as you're cleaning?
Sometimes. I usually tell her I'm cleaning her litter or whatever I'm doing. Of course she has to jump in a and pee RIGHT after it's clean to make it hers. So there's that.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pictures as promised.

20191221_160852.jpg

Kitty being cute

20191221_160802.jpg

Attempted photobomb

20191221_160810.jpg

And the actual photo I intended. It's a 30 gallon container, so I really truely don't have space for a seperate play area with water. The kitchen isn't much bigger.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big bowl for water won’t help, I have cat that can move a large pot to see the water splash. In my case, suction cup bowl did make a difference, linked below, but there are lots of other, cheaper types made for children. It’s point is to stick to the floor so that it can’t be moved, and with tiles and counter it works just great. I still put an old bowl for my cat in the empty sink so that he can play there, he loves it too much and I found it super funny, but also useful: he doesn’t drink otherwise and I like that he’s getting some extra water by cleaning himself after.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat pees when I pee and I feel like we're in a race. I have to wipe the sides every time she goes on the side 13 1/2 inches up so her box is a storage bin 30x30 18 inches high

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Big bowl for water won’t help, I have cat that can move a large pot to see the water splash. In my case, suction cup bowl did make a difference, linked below, but there are lots of other, cheaper types made for children. It’s point is to stick to the floor so that it can’t be moved, and with tiles and counter it works just great. I still put an old bowl for my cat in the empty sink so that he can play there, he loves it too much and I found it super funny, but also useful: he doesn’t drink otherwise and I like that he’s getting some extra water by cleaning himself after.

Did it help prevent flinging and splashing with paws specifically? Those are my main issues. I also don't think she actually drinks water ever. If it doesn't make her actually drink it may not be worth buying.

Anajana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat pees when I pee and I feel like we're in a race. I have to wipe the sides every time she goes on the side 13 1/2 inches up so her box is a storage bin 30x30 18 inches high
My situation is similar, except she's a ladycat and pees low :) she'll jump in the litter sometimes when I'm peeing, but she doesn't always use it. Monkey see monkey do.