I Have A Tiny Stray Here... Need Help/advice, Please!

MsL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone...
So, trying to make a long story short: I noticed about 2 weeks ago this tiny black stray cat who is living under an abandoned building near my house!

I have been leaving food/water out for him since, and I kept an eye out to see if he was alone. He is... he looks very small, thin (can see his ribs)... not a kitten but not full grown yet and very hungry.

It has gotten to the point that he will come inside my house now! We have a routine where he will come by about 7:30-8:00pm (every night), eat his kitty food, cuddle, walk through my house, then we go sit on the porch together while he grooms and stares at me/more cuddles together. Then at 9:30-10:00, he silently gets up and walks off to his old abandoned building again. I do not see him out in the day time or any other time. Only 2 or so hours a night!

There is just so much going through my head about this! Question I have!
  • Why does he only come out for 2 hours a night?
  • Why does he not seem to want to stay inside -- yet, he is comfortable walking in my house and continues to come spend 1-2 hours with me daily?
  • He does not have fleas! Surprisingly I have checked all over. It seems someone had given him flea meds before, and simply dropped him off beside that building.. how else could this be?
  • How do I get him to stay inside with me and be safe?
I have asked my neighbors if they had a missing cat, no one claims to own him... they also have seen him at night, but he runs from every one besides me, and they do not feed him.

I am just worried about this sweet tiny thing all alone outside. He acts lonely/depressed as he's making his way back to the old shack... sad kitty!

But he gets super excited when he sees me in the evening on my porch. :) I don't want to make him feel like I am keeping him prisoner if I just shut the door and keep him inside my house, I want it to be his choice.. what should I do about this?

I just need any advice please!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! :wave3:

Thank you for caring for this boy. He's fortunate to have found you. He's excited to see you because you seem to be the only friend he has. You feed him and give him unconditional love.

Take him to the vet and have him scanned for a microchip. He probably doesn't have one but it can't hurt to check. It seems like he was just abandoned.

You two have formed a bond and a routine. I think you should have him neutered if he hasn't already been, checked by a vet for any health issues and then kept inside. Cats are very adaptable creatures. My cats were also strays. They still go out but only in the enclosed screen room behind the house and only when I am home. You can also train him to wear a harness and leash and take him outside that way.

Indoor only cats can (and do) live very happy lives. Things like a cat tree with multiple platforms is good because it gives them a place to sit up high and observe things. It also gives the the ability to climb which they love and has scratching posts which they need. Interactive toys are great. Wand toys like Da Bird are a favorite of many cats because they fuel the hunting drive and helps them burn off excess energy.

Of course, the best thing inside is YOU. They choose us, we do not choose them. I think that the more time he spends inside, the more he will like it. Inside there are no predators and no cars. Outdoor cats are always on guard so they pretty much have to sleep with one eye open. Inside? They can stretch out and snooze to their heart's content.

You said that he acts depressed as he makes his way back to his old shack. He is. He wants to stay with you. I think you want that too and are looking for a nudge in that direction. Here you go! Good luck to the both of you. You seem perfect for each other!

Acknowledgment.gif

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wondered about the pattern of leaving and the thinness as related to kittens as well. Hopefully there are not any. I have brought several cats like this one into my house over the years. At first they may act as if they want back out, even cry a little or sit at the door, but they will adapt, probably fairly quickly when they realize that they are safe and cared for around the clock.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I totally agree with all the above comments :agree:

Have him checked by the vet, get him vaccinated and neutered at the right time and close the door and keep him in your house.

The two of you are meant for each other.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
[
You just met him two weeks ago and he is already coming into your house? I would say that is GREAT PROGRESS!!

When I befriended Jeff it was August. At that point I could pet and carry her and would have long sits with her outside. By October I began to worry about her getting cold at night so I moved her food closer to my door and then finally into my living room. I would reassure her every time that she came in that I would let her back out when she wanted to go. I kept my word and pretty soon five minutes turned into 2 hours and then finally all night.

She would want to go outside every time she heard a noise coming from outside that frightened her, which didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I played along. She had her go-to place outside for the times of lawn mowing, fireworks, and road construction. After years of being together she was spending more days and nights inside.

My point is, his comfort zone right now is the outdoors and if he knows that you won't keep him from that then the trust will only grow and he will become content in spending more time indoor- with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, you're absolutely sure this kitty is a male and that there aren't any kittens involved - thinking of why s/he is only out for a couple of hours?

UPDATE!:
Everyone, thank you for your comments/suggestions!

As it turns out!!! Furballsmom was 100% correct!!! I was mistaken; it is not a boy cat, it is a female... and she has kittens!

I've still only seen her for about 2 hours a day, HOWEVER (big moment happened) just this morning, she walked to my house with TWO KITTENS!!! They look to be about 10 weeks old. She must have already had them when we met and kept it a secret all this time. I was finally introduced to her two beautiful babies and now love her even more than ever. <3 We've developed an even deeper bond the past few weeks of me feeding her and getting to know her, and I am in the process of adopting her AND her two kittens! Getting her to the vet to be fixed asap as we do not need more kittens; but the two she already has are just amazing! Adorable fluffy things!!

It all makes sense now. No wonder she acted like she was starving every day, no wonder she would never stay in my house for too long before running back to her hide-out even though she always acted like she adored me.... she had/has babies she needed to protect :)

I'm really happy!
So again, I know this update is a long time coming, but everyone who posted ideas: thank you so much! I am just so glad I found her (and her babies). These cats have made my life so much better, and I will make their better. <3

Love to all here!! xo

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Fantastic and thank you for being so wonderful to her. One side note, make sure there are only two kittens! Sometimes a shy one will stay behind to wait for the others. Take a look around in the places you saw her hanging out just to be sure. If there is another, it is probably hovering nearby and should turn up. Put something Mom has been laying on outside. Her scent would bring it close.
Any photos? We love seeing happy endings! Bravo for saving three lives!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That just brought tears to my eyes! Such a happy ending and a completely solved mystery. As Jcatbird Jcatbird says, you might have to wait for the other shoe to drop, although I hope that you are only looking at a small number of kittens. The litter born under my neighbor's house last year appeared in "sections" and there were four in all.